Singapore Expats

Relocating with pets -Bris to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Ozziemum

Relocating with pets -Bris to Singapore

Post by Ozziemum » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 5:01 pm

Hi,
I’m new. We have just found out we are relocating from Brisbane to Singapore in early January.
We have an old cat who we want to bring with us. I’ve looked at different companies and it seems to be about $2-3k to get her there.
Is this reasonable? Can I organise it myself? What have others done?

Also when it comes to renting- how soon can you get an apartment/condo?
We have two weeks of accommodation paid for at a hotel. Is that enough time to check out a place, sign everything and move in?

Thanks- exciting times ahead!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Relocating with pets -Bris to Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:01 am

That seems expensive. Try bringing her up as an accompanied pet on the flight. You do need some documentation but as Australia is rabies free it should be straight forward. Also and perhaps more importantly you will have a lot of difficulties returning her to Australia. Most cats suspiciously die in Australian Quarantine.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:24 am

Two weeks is plenty of time to move in. Finding the right place is the challenge. It's a renters market so there is a lot on offer, but if you don't know Singapore it's very easy to end up in a place that turns out not to be as suitable as it first appeared.

Do your research and narrow your options so when you get here your time won't be wasted looking at unsuitable places. This forum is a good place to start.

Once you have a short list, use the link below to avoid overpaying. It shows recent rental contracts by condo.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action

Ozziemum

Post by Ozziemum » Sun, 06 Oct 2019 4:00 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:01 am
That seems expensive. Try bringing her up as an accompanied pet on the flight. You do need some documentation but as Australia is rabies free it should be straight forward. Also and perhaps more importantly you will have a lot of difficulties returning her to Australia. Most cats suspiciously die in Australian Quarantine.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve started looking at organising to bring her ourselves and while there is a lot of paperwork and red tApe, as a scientist who works with government, I’m used to that and think I can handle that alone.
We would like to bring her on the plane at the same time but what to do once we get there as we will be in a hotel to start.

Thanks again.

Ozziemum

Post by Ozziemum » Sun, 06 Oct 2019 4:02 am

bgd wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:24 am
Two weeks is plenty of time to move in. Finding the right place is the challenge. It's a renters market so there is a lot on offer, but if you don't know Singapore it's very easy to end up in a place that turns out not to be as suitable as it first appeared.

Do your research and narrow your options so when you get here your time won't be wasted looking at unsuitable places. This forum is a good place to start.

Once you have a short list, use the link below to avoid overpaying. It shows recent rental contracts by condo.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action
Thanks for the feedback. We have been doing a lot of research. The company who hired us has three agents they recommend as well so we will touch base with them first too. Great link, thanks.
Negotiating on rental prices- that seems to strange!