Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

How to lose weight?

Post by joeyy » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 1:38 pm

Am here asking for a friend. She is losing her confident when days passes, as she is quite plump.

Anyone can suggest/advice how can she lose weight within a month? :-k

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by abbby » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 5:24 pm

Key is to reduce the carbohydrates and sugar intake. Cut back by half and later abstain from carbohydrates and sugar. For examples, less bread, pasta, rice at dinner and avoid canned and sugared drinks. I've lost 5 kg in about 2 months but at the same time, put them back due to getting back on carbs and sugar.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:23 am

Thank you for the advice, will let her know.

I guess it gonna take a huge sacrifice for her to resist the good food and sugared drinks. haha

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:59 am

I have a old saying I coined when I lost 26 kg 11 year ago. A search of the archives here will turn up heaps of info while I was going through the process (I lost 26 kg in 22 weeks).

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 12:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:59 am
I have a old saying I coined when I lost 26 kg 11 year ago. A search of the archives here will turn up heaps of info while I was going through the process (I lost 26 kg in 22 weeks).

=D> =D> =D> WOW how did you managed to lost 26kg in 22 weeks? That's amazing!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:03 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:15 pm

joeyy wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 12:18 pm

.... well, I don't intend to compete with SMS but I lost 40kg in 20 weeks and this was not by loosing any of my limbs :)

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:26 pm

x9200 wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:15 pm
joeyy wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 12:18 pm

.... well, I don't intend to compete with SMS but I lost 40kg in 20 weeks and this was not by loosing any of my limbs :)
Wow you guys are seriously amazing. Share some tips O:) O:) O:)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:39 pm

In my case just eating less but I have a very good tolerance for starving and can function well with as low as few hundred kcal a day.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:46 pm

x9200 wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:39 pm
In my case just eating less but I have a very good tolerance for starving and can function well with as low as few hundred kcal a day.
Omg. Starving is not good. But it may lead to gastric. #-o How to resist the good food also. Omg like you know especially when your friends are posting food all over facebook and instagram. hahaha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 4:20 pm

Only Asians get gastric. I don't even know what they are talking about. Gastric? do you mean heart burn or indigestion? or something else? Never could figure it out. I've never seen an MC with gastric listed as the reason.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 5:23 pm

joeyy wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:46 pm
x9200 wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 1:39 pm
Omg. Starving is not good. But it may lead to gastric. #-o How to resist the good food also. Omg like you know especially when your friends are posting food all over facebook and instagram. hahaha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Starvation is ok. Ask the monks :)
The problem with hunger is normally for few days only. After a week or two I was not tempted any longer. And yeah, I don't know what gastric is neither.

But seriously, I admit, it's a bit extreme so one should never go below half of what is need (typically 1200kcal) and consult a doctor or nutritionist to advise on the diet. The problem is not with eating on the level of starvation but that you don't supply all minerals and vitamins you normally get with food. Unless you really know what you do, better rely on a professional in that respect. Remember the Terri Schiavo case? That's how you may end up if you do it wrong.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:16 pm

The diet I was on was designed by a Doctor (a real doctor - Cardiologist - not PhD) I had to give a full medical report and a series of blood tests before I was allowed to get on the program. It was monitored every 6~8 weeks with additional Blood Tests and is very strict but varied so it's not a hard diet to do if you want to really lose weight. Hunger lasts about 6-8 days but it's not hunger but craving for sugar (e.g., carbohydrates otherwise known as the white killer starches which are not allowed on the diet as well as hard sugar) I also gave up salt as well even though it wasn't required but just cut back. Asians have a hard time with the diet, because of no will power, as you have to give up rice, potatoes, noodles & breadstuffs. But you have plenty of choice of protein sources and lots of choices of vegetables and fruits. Everything is weighed to the gram and the good doctor makes your diet up specifically for you. Everybody's is slightly different e.g., weights allowable, etc. The caloric content is only about 800 cal/day. Young person can lose upward of 1.7/1.8 kg/wk. Mine was trimmed back due to my age (60 1/2) when I started. Mine was geared towards 1kg/wk, but I managed to get 1.1 for 26 kg /22 wks. You just to just use nike's logo. Just Do It!

Yes, for the first and only time in my life, I took a good multivitamin while on the program as well. Dr.'s recommendation as well.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:24 pm

Asians have no will power?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:41 pm

When it comes to giving up rice, it's extremely difficult. I been here a long, long time and know lots who have tried and failed, some over and over. When I decided to do my diet 11 years ago, the clinic also confirmed the problem. The locals (which was the vast majority of their clientele) would deviate almost every week by eating rice which was not allowed as well as the other white starches. When it comes to eating, they haven't much, if any, will power.