Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:42 am

generally, there r 2 options - Calorie Deficit or Calorie coming from sensible sources. Calorie deficit is unsustainable n unhealthy.

2nd option is to replace Carbs and eat health fats and protein without bothering how much u eat. but, reducing carbs drastically is what most people struggle with.

i used to be 85kg and since i went on Low Carb diet, i am around 71kg since 1.5 years. i rarely eat bread or rice.

medical report is all good. eating fats or proteins is not bad.

lastly, Exercise has many benefits but weight loss is not one of them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:40 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 11:42 am
generally, there r 2 options - Calorie Deficit or Calorie coming from sensible sources. Calorie deficit is unsustainable n unhealthy.

2nd option is to replace Carbs and eat health fats and protein without bothering how much u eat. but, reducing carbs drastically is what most people struggle with.

i used to be 85kg and since i went on Low Carb diet, i am around 71kg since 1.5 years. i rarely eat bread or rice.

This is completely untrue. A caloric deficit is NECESSARY for weight loss, whether it is through burning calories with exercise or minimizing caloric intake by dieting. It is an excessive deficit that is problematic. Most doctors recommend a deficit of 200-300 calories.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 1:26 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:40 pm
midlet2013 wrote:

This is completely untrue. A caloric deficit is NECESSARY for weight loss, whether it is through burning calories with exercise or minimizing caloric intake by dieting. It is an excessive deficit that is problematic. Most doctors recommend a deficit of 200-300 calories.
From my experience it is a bit more complicated and may depend on the individual.
My observations:
  • the main factor in losing weight is the deficit of carb related calories
  • nope, you can not eat as much as you can on high protein high fat diet
  • fat calories seems not to contribute significantly on high protein high fat diet as compared to typical, mixed diet - for example, I never cared how much oil I use to cook on high protein high fat diet.
  • high protein high fat diet let you eat more, but if you fail to reduce carbs the effects will be so so - so actually this is not really high protein high fat diet but low carb diet with carbs substituted with fat and proteins
  • yes, you can have high protein high fat diet and have good results lipid profiles included
  • calorie deficit is unsustainable - correct (if you don't eat enough for very long time you are going to inevitably die :)*) and unhealthy - incorrect (again, as long as you dont starve yourself to death), - this is not the calorie deficit making it unhealthy but deficit of vitamins, microelements and fibres. You can go very low with the calories as long as you substitute what you miss from the related food.
*) but the amount of calories needed to sustain yourself providing the said supplementation is pretty low

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 1:39 pm

You are so wrong. Calorie deficit which leads to weight loss is bad. Internally, ur metabolic health ages. U mite be thin but at 40, ur metabolic age will be 50.

Almost, entirely, my metabolic age > real age.

Only when, I stopped Carbs and ate Low Carb High Fat diet, did my real age match metabolic age.

So, Calorie deficit leads to Hormonal and Metabolic issues even though u r thin on the outside.

Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 1:40 pm

When I said eat as much as want, does not mean overeat. Eat enough. No need for Calorie Deficit but dont go around overeating.
x9200 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 1:26 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

From my experience it is a bit more complicated and may depend on the individual.
My observations:
  • the main factor in losing weight is the deficit of carb related calories
  • nope, you can not eat as much as you can on high protein high fat diet
  • fat calories seems not to contribute significantly on high protein high fat diet as compared to typical, mixed diet - for example, I never cared how much oil I use to cook on high protein high fat diet.
  • high protein high fat diet let you eat more, but if you fail to reduce carbs the effects will be so so - so actually this is not really high protein high fat diet but low carb diet with carbs substituted with fat and proteins
  • yes, you can have high protein high fat diet and have good results lipid profiles included
  • calorie deficit is unsustainable - correct (if you don't eat enough for very long time you are going to inevitably die :)*) and unhealthy - incorrect (again, as long as you dont starve yourself to death), - this is not the calorie deficit making it unhealthy but deficit of vitamins, microelements and fibres. You can go very low with the calories as long as you substitute what you miss from the related food.
*) but the amount of calories needed to sustain yourself providing the said supplementation is pretty low

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 2:17 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 1:39 pm
You are so wrong. Calorie deficit which leads to weight loss is bad. Internally, ur metabolic health ages. U mite be thin but at 40, ur metabolic age will be 50.

Only when, I stopped Carbs and ate Low Carb High Fat diet, did my real age match metabolic age.

So, Calorie deficit leads to Hormonal and Metabolic issues even though u r thin on the outside.

Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

I’d suggest you do your research before making false statements.

https://www.mypnoe.com/weight-loss-scie ... t-paradox/

Taken from the above link, “Cutting calories and creating a caloric deficit during the day, or eating fewer calories than you burn, is the only way to lose weight.”

You’ll find this same answer anywhere else.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 2:40 pm

Great, then u already know the answer.

Actually I have done a lot more research than you. And there are tonnes of books/videos. Also books that I have read. However, you need to find the correct 10% which makes sense and not the 90% mumbo jumbo u find on Internet. You are surely relying on 90% of what you see and hear. You need to find the hidden 10% which actually is right.

Calorie deficit sucks. The only way is to avoid carbs and eat sufficient calories , mostly from healthy fats and a bit from proteins. Carbs have no value but fats and proteins are essential.
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 2:17 pm
midlet2013 wrote:

Lisafuller wrote:

Taken from the above link, “Cutting calories and creating a caloric deficit during the day, or eating fewer calories than you burn, is the only way to lose weight.”

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 2:42 pm

here is your answer

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unl ... B01C6D0LCK

Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

Lisafuller wrote:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:59 pm

Well, I just put it this way. x9200 and I have had this discussion several time both online and offline and while our methods were different (but not substantially). We were BOTH extremely successful in our weight loss. I forgot how much x9200 lost the first time but it was considerable. I lost 26 kg in 22 weeks. I started the lifestyle change at the age of 60.5 years and finished the weightloss portion of the change 22 weeks later 6 weeks before by 61st birthday. In the process I went from a 40" waistline back down to a 32" waistline and from 94kg down to my military discharge weight in July 1968 of 69kg. I was actually lower that what my doctor/dietician (he's actually a cardiologist MD from SA) set the diet up to achieve, (70~71kg) and I did find it too low so stabilized it at 72kg which was my former 'fighting' weight. Stayed there for over 4 years and then started getting lazy (snacking late a night). Packed 15 lbs back on in 12 months. So 6 years after I finished the diet, I went back on the same diet for 3 months and got rid of it and back down to 72. Now I got to go back on it again.

By the way, at the beginning of the diet I was on lovastatin (Cholesterol), Atenolol & Losartan for HBP & Alopurinol for gout. 2 weeks after the diet, my local physician discontinued all my medications and told me I had the body stats of a 40 year old. Needless to say, at 61 I was a pretty happy chappie, and it was the first time I'd been off medications for around 15 years. My diet was a balanced diet except it was low carb (read virtually NO carbs). I'm about to embark on it for the 3rd time as Covid and retirement really disrupted my activity for the past 2 years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 7:33 pm

Roughly 50kg in half a year.
I had ups and downs but maintaining my weight now at around 85kg. I would not call it stable unfortunately. Singapore has too much good food to offer.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 7:34 pm

I find it helpful to establish permanent healthy eating routines. One way I have done this is by eating only oatmeal for breakfast at least 3-4x per week. This is sustainable for me because I genuinely like oatmeal. I have kept this going for at least 8 years now. The whole grains digest slowly and keep me satisfied until lunch.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 5:46 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 2:42 pm
here is your answer

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unl ... B01C6D0LCK

Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

The link you dropped is an amazon link. Does that really seem like a reliable source to you?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 5:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:59 pm
Well, I just put it this way. x9200 and I have had this discussion several time both online and offline and while our methods were different (but not substantially). We were BOTH extremely successful in our weight loss. I forgot how much x9200 lost the first time but it was considerable. I lost 26 kg in 22 weeks. I started the lifestyle change at the age of 60.5 years and finished the weightloss portion of the change 22 weeks later 6 weeks before by 61st birthday. In the process I went from a 40" waistline back down to a 32" waistline and from 94kg down to my military discharge weight in July 1968 of 69kg. I was actually lower that what my doctor/dietician (he's actually a cardiologist MD from SA) set the diet up to achieve, (70~71kg) and I did find it too low so stabilized it at 72kg which was my former 'fighting' weight. Stayed there for over 4 years and then started getting lazy (snacking late a night). Packed 15 lbs back on in 12 months. So 6 years after I finished the diet, I went back on the same diet for 3 months and got rid of it and back down to 72. Now I got to go back on it again.

By the way, at the beginning of the diet I was on lovastatin (Cholesterol), Atenolol & Losartan for HBP & Alopurinol for gout. 2 weeks after the diet, my local physician discontinued all my medications and told me I had the body stats of a 40 year old. Needless to say, at 61 I was a pretty happy chappie, and it was the first time I'd been off medications for around 15 years. My diet was a balanced diet except it was low carb (read virtually NO carbs). I'm about to embark on it for the 3rd time as Covid and retirement really disrupted my activity for the past 2 years.
Exactly. Weight loss is not possible unless you are consuming a balanced diet, and in smaller quantities, i.e caloric deficit.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 5:51 pm

x9200 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 7:33 pm
Roughly 50kg in half a year.
I had ups and downs but maintaining my weight now at around 85kg. I would not call it stable unfortunately. Singapore has too much good food to offer.
That is so impressive, half a year?! I try not to weigh myself too often, and rather just go by how I look, feel, and doctor’s advice. The food in Singapore is just too tempting, and for the most part not the healthiest. Whenever I’ve gone on a weight loss kick, I’ve had to resort to cooking my own meals, so I could control what was going into each dish. Cravings were hell but the results were worth it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 5:53 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 7:34 pm
I find it helpful to establish permanent healthy eating routines. One way I have done this is by eating only oatmeal for breakfast at least 3-4x per week. This is sustainable for me because I genuinely like oatmeal. I have kept this going for at least 8 years now. The whole grains digest slowly and keep me satisfied until lunch.
Definitely. Establishing a balanced diet is so important. It’s one thing to lose weight through dieting, but go back to your old eating habits and you’ll gain all the weight back, and then some.