Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by smoulder » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:54 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:24 pm
smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:44 pm
Well for all saying this works and that doesn't, at the end of the day, whichever way you achieve weight loss, at the end of the day it is calories in vs out. All the micro vs macro manipulation boils down to just calorie reduction. You can do all the keto diet you want, but if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight. If you are not, then either you are badly mistaken or you have found a way to defy the laws of physics.
More calories is bad. That I agree with. But Calorie from carbs is worse than that from fat n protein.

I am surprised people spew hearsay with so much confidence. If cutting calorie is the only way, u r basically say all fat people r eating more which is simply inhumane.

It’s plain wrong. There r lot of hormonal n metabolic issues. Some people can eat rice n noodles and be thin. But some can’t eat carbs. Also being thin is not the same as being healthy.

Calorie deficit is not right. A balance of macros is needed depending on ur situation.
Hearsay? What worked for you with your sample size of one is supposed to apply to everyone? Is that what you are suggesting? Combined with the fact that you seem to have only recently started seriously getting in shape versus I'm sure a lot of folks here who have probably living and breathing a healthy lifestyle for longer than you've been an adult.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:59 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:54 am
I tried brown rice for two months as well as took less white rice. Eating less white rice seemed to have helped me lose 1 kg, eating brown rice did not help me lose weight..

But too much temptations, I could not keep up the momentum to keep eating less white rice/carbs all the time...you know when you see your family eat and you can only look.
You hit the nail, with any diet you need to look at what's suitable for you, and how to make it realistic, what's sustainable.

If it's too tough you will fail.

Also important to know your weaknesses, where does your extra calories come ? But don't be too hard on yourself.

I did 4.5:2.5 duet that works for me.

From Monday to Friday lunch (4.5 days) I'm vegetarian mostly legumes, and no alcohol at all. Weekends I eat my meat, fish and enjoy bottles of good wines. That simple change has helped me to drop 1-2kg per month, all together ,10kgs since march.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 4:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:54 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Well for all saying this works and that doesn't, at the end of the day, whichever way you achieve weight loss, at the end of the day it is calories in vs out. All the micro vs macro manipulation boils down to just calorie reduction. You can do all the keto diet you want, but if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight. If you are not, then either you are badly mistaken or you have found a way to defy the laws of physics.
More calories is bad. That I agree with. But Calorie from carbs is worse than that from fat n protein.

I am surprised people spew hearsay with so much confidence. If cutting calorie is the only way, u r basically say all fat people r eating more which is simply inhumane.

It’s plain wrong. There r lot of hormonal n metabolic issues. Some people can eat rice n noodles and be thin. But some can’t eat carbs. Also being thin is not the same as being healthy.

Calorie deficit is not right. A balance of macros is needed depending on ur situation.
Hearsay? What worked for you with your sample size of one is supposed to apply to everyone? Is that what you are suggesting? Combined with the fact that you seem to have only recently started seriously getting in shape versus I'm sure a lot of folks here who have probably living and breathing a healthy lifestyle for longer than you've been an adult.
Ur wrong in understanding what I am saying. But no point arguing with old people who have more experience :)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 5:24 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 4:14 pm
smoulder wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

Ur wrong in understanding what I am saying. But no point arguing with old people who have more experience :)
No point in arguing with people with limited knowledge who know it all I say.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:01 am

abbby wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:54 am
I tried brown rice for two months as well as took less white rice. Eating less white rice seemed to have helped me lose 1 kg, eating brown rice did not help me lose weight..

But too much temptations, I could not keep up the momentum to keep eating less white rice/carbs all the time...you know when you see your family eat and you can only look.
I think you’ll find better luck moderating your consumption, instead of trying to cut out any food groups, instead consume in smaller quantities. Totally relate to your point about temptation, seeing family members eat “forbidden” food can be temptation inducing, but at the end of the day weight loss takes discipline. After all, nothing good ever comes easy.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:02 am

smoulder wrote:
Exactly what I’ve been saying, but a couple posters don’t seem to understand that. It doesn’t really matter what you eat (although weight loss without good nutrition is counterintuitive), at the end of the day all that matters is the calories burnt exceeds calories consumed.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:03 am

midlet2013 wrote:
smoulder wrote:

I must disagree. There’s no such thing as one group of calories being worse than another. Calories are calories, simple as that.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:04 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 5:24 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
smoulder wrote:

My thoughts exactly, I’ve had some pretty fruitful interactions with midlet on other threads, but our views seem to diverge on this topic.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 9:27 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:02 am
smoulder wrote:
Exactly what I’ve been saying, but a couple posters don’t seem to understand that. It doesn’t really matter what you eat (although weight loss without good nutrition is counterintuitive), at the end of the day all that matters is the calories burnt exceeds calories consumed.
Yes correct. The problem is that most people don't realize that "weight loss" is not the specific goal that they imagine it is. There are many more parameters that go into forming fitness goals. As these parameters change, the macros and micros will have to be modified to tailor for those specific needs. There's no one size that fits all.

And then some guy with very limited experience and knowledge comes in and starts making obnoxious statements about how everyone else is full of shit and are "spewing" "hearsay". Gets my goat.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:07 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:04 am
smoulder wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

My thoughts exactly, I’ve had some pretty fruitful interactions with midlet on other threads, but our views seem to diverge on this topic.
Calories from carb is not the same as calorie from fat n protein. To lose weight, cutting calories is not so imp as long as it’s coming from fats n proteins and not carbs. The key to losing weight is keeping Insulin Low which is a fat storing hormone.

Tell me, what have u guys read on this topic. You are exactly telling me what I knew for most of my life. And then I started learning and reading and realised the truth is completely different from what most believe.

Tell me ur source of truth. How do u know All calories r same. How do u know calories out and calories in is the right strategy.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 9:27 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Yes correct. The problem is that most people don't realize that "weight loss" is not the specific goal that they imagine it is. There are many more parameters that go into forming fitness goals. As these parameters change, the macros and micros will have to be modified to tailor for those specific needs. There's no one size that fits all.

And then some guy with very limited experience and knowledge comes in and starts making obnoxious statements about how everyone else is full of shit and are "spewing" "hearsay". Gets my goat.
Don’t take it personally. Convince me scientifically why you believe what u believe in. Cuz I believed in exactly what u are telling me. And over the last two years I researched n read a lot. And I realised the opposite is exactly the truth.

And I shared this with many people . All of who told me exactly what u r telling me. And yet what u tell me does not work in practice.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:29 pm

Watch this and tell me what's wrong with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs5GnUDJVrk

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/249 ... esity-code

https://www.adaptyourlife.com/book/

This is only 100s of things I have researched. Weight Loss to me is about keeping insulin low in body which is a direct consequence of Macros. Insulin stores fats. Lower the insulin, better is the weight.

Fats dont increase insulin. So calories from Fats is not as harmful as calories from Carbs.

Now I agree that there is no single formula. There are people who have different tolerances to macros. There are people with AutoImmune, Thyroid, etc issues which effects the response.

But if u try believe , that obese people are intaking more Calories than they are supposed to , then it means Obesity is a choice or simple incompetence. But its not. Its a more complex issue.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Can be so frustrating to argue with someone who is unwilling to entertain alternative (correct) viewpoints.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:33 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:04 am
smoulder wrote:

Calories from carb is not the same as calorie from fat n protein. To lose weight, cutting calories is not so imp as long as it’s coming from fats n proteins and not carbs. The key to losing weight is keeping Insulin Low which is a fat storing hormone.

Tell me, what have u guys read on this topic. You are exactly telling me what I knew for most of my life. And then I started learning and reading and realised the truth is completely different from what most believe.

Tell me ur source of truth. How do u know All calories r same. How do u know calories out and calories in is the right strategy.
Calories are calories, there is no difference whatsoever. The only difference is nutrition and the amount of each type of food you will be able to consume.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:34 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:14 pm
smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Don’t take it personally. Convince me scientifically why you believe what u believe in. Cuz I believed in exactly what u are telling me. And over the last two years I researched n read a lot. And I realised the opposite is exactly the truth.

And I shared this with many people . All of who told me exactly what u r telling me. And yet what u tell me does not work in practice.
Not personal, its just that you seem to be convinced of a position that is entirely false. When yu say it does not work in practice, what are you basing this claim off of? Personal experience? Surely one persons experience cannot negate millions of others who have had a contrasting experience.