Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by tiktok » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:46 pm

Given the prevelance of obesity in the West, it's not fair to say this is an "Asian" or "locals" thing. Most humans are not very good at eating less.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Oct 2019 12:07 am

It's very fair, within the terms of this particular diet. The same excuse in roughly 75% of the cases where they quit was "we cannot do without rice". It's the common thread (has nothing to do with the fact that the US and Australia are obese. It's all about why Asians have a problem doing this particular diet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sat, 05 Oct 2019 7:46 am

Sorry it's still not clear, are you saying it's especially hard to give up rice, or its especially hard for Asians to give up rice?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 05 Oct 2019 11:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 04 Oct 2019 9:16 pm
The diet I was on was designed by a Doctor (a real doctor - Cardiologist - not PhD) I had to give a full medical report and a series of blood tests before I was allowed to get on the program. It was monitored every 6~8 weeks with additional Blood Tests and is very strict but varied so it's not a hard diet to do if you want to really lose weight. Hunger lasts about 6-8 days but it's not hunger but craving for sugar (e.g., carbohydrates otherwise known as the white killer starches which are not allowed on the diet as well as hard sugar) I also gave up salt as well even though it wasn't required but just cut back. Asians have a hard time with the diet, because of no will power, as you have to give up rice, potatoes, noodles & breadstuffs. But you have plenty of choice of protein sources and lots of choices of vegetables and fruits. Everything is weighed to the gram and the good doctor makes your diet up specifically for you. Everybody's is slightly different e.g., weights allowable, etc. The caloric content is only about 800 cal/day. Young person can lose upward of 1.7/1.8 kg/wk. Mine was trimmed back due to my age (60 1/2) when I started. Mine was geared towards 1kg/wk, but I managed to get 1.1 for 26 kg /22 wks. You just to just use nike's logo. Just Do It!

Yes, for the first and only time in my life, I took a good multivitamin while on the program as well. Dr.'s recommendation as well.
Carbos and sugars are so difficult to resist. Now with Grabfood, it's not helping either...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Oct 2019 4:51 pm

Why? Does grab food hold you down and pre-chew it and shove it down your throat? Methinks that is just a cop-out!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 2:23 pm

Actually personally, I did try not having rice for a week (ok, because I am not feeling well, and I have no appetite for any food). I myself lose 2kg.

HAHA Really rice play a big part in this losing weight? HAHA

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:04 pm

joeyy,

Rice, potatoes, noodles, breads. These are known as the four white "Killer Starches". Starch when ingested (eaten) is broken down to basically, sugar. If you eat, drink too much sugar, that which is not burned (caloric energy) is stored in the body (fat cells). As for Asians, rice is the bulk of their diets not counting all the UFOs (unidentified fried objects - grease, oil, flour (white starch) & sugar) Coke, bubble teas, pastries, the amount of sugar is mind-boggling. To reduce starches is a big step, the 2nd big step is to cut out sugar both as a condiment and as a cooking additive. Yes, it's not easy. If you want to get rid of puffiness, stop using salt (including Soy Sauces) The body cannot process salt. Salt is a poison to the body and in it's efforts to isolate the salt it takes on water to surround the salt to protect the rest of the body from drying out. Less salt, less water retention. Just some hints to help IF YOU REALLY WANT HELP.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:04 pm
joeyy,

Rice, potatoes, noodles, breads. These are known as the four white "Killer Starches". Starch when ingested (eaten) is broken down to basically, sugar. If you eat, drink too much sugar, that which is not burned (caloric energy) is stored in the body (fat cells). As for Asians, rice is the bulk of their diets not counting all the UFOs (unidentified fried objects - grease, oil, flour (white starch) & sugar) Coke, bubble teas, pastries, the amount of sugar is mind-boggling. To reduce starches is a big step, the 2nd big step is to cut out sugar both as a condiment and as a cooking additive. Yes, it's not easy. If you want to get rid of puffiness, stop using salt (including Soy Sauces) The body cannot process salt. Salt is a poison to the body and in it's efforts to isolate the salt it takes on water to surround the salt to protect the rest of the body from drying out. Less salt, less water retention. Just some hints to help IF YOU REALLY WANT HELP.
Wow! I learnt something new today! Thank you for the kind advises :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shall share this with my friends! Hopefully it works! You got good knowledge there! :wink: :wink:

Nilo Quiroz

Post by Nilo Quiroz » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 2:46 pm

My friend, Losing weight is an art. It requires practice and dedication. Do exercise regularly and be patient for the results. It is a process.
Wish you luck and healthy life!

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 16 Oct 2019 3:43 pm

Nilo Quiroz wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 2:46 pm
My friend, Losing weight is an art. It requires practice and dedication. Do exercise regularly and be patient for the results. It is a process.
Wish you luck and healthy life!
Cheers! I hope my friend can do it too. keke :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Emilyc

Post by Emilyc » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 3:22 pm

Hey there, losing weight is a journey. Don't be afraid though! Be prepared to sacrifice some things, but not too much!

Decrease your portions progressively but don't cut everything (learn about portions, one hand of veggies, one fist of protein, one palm hand of grains; add more vegetables, a simple protein (steamed, fried (not deep) chicken, fish, tofu... avocado for your veg days, and a little grains like rice, quinoa, wheat.. anything (but in small quantity) if you're craving for it :).

As someone said before, yes carbs and all those pastries are bad, but don't cut everything too fast, eating a little is still ok :). If you're used to eating this kind of food, then decrease progressively, allowing 1/2 per week along with a more measured diet (portions, veggies).

Also, drink more water overall, drink tea, herbs, something that you will enjoy drinking and does not make you feel that you're simply drinking water.

Also, if you cook and need recipes and want to try some diets, I tried this app called yoripe, it's Singapore based so they have a variety of local recipes (I could not find good quality and LOCAL recipes before this) yoripe.com

Believe in yourself and take everyday as a new day!

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 17 Oct 2019 4:46 pm

Emilyc wrote:
Thu, 17 Oct 2019 3:22 pm
Hey there, losing weight is a journey. Don't be afraid though! Be prepared to sacrifice some things, but not too much!

Decrease your portions progressively but don't cut everything (learn about portions, one hand of veggies, one fist of protein, one palm hand of grains; add more vegetables, a simple protein (steamed, fried (not deep) chicken, fish, tofu... avocado for your veg days, and a little grains like rice, quinoa, wheat.. anything (but in small quantity) if you're craving for it :).

As someone said before, yes carbs and all those pastries are bad, but don't cut everything too fast, eating a little is still ok :). If you're used to eating this kind of food, then decrease progressively, allowing 1/2 per week along with a more measured diet (portions, veggies).

Also, drink more water overall, drink tea, herbs, something that you will enjoy drinking and does not make you feel that you're simply drinking water.

Also, if you cook and need recipes and want to try some diets, I tried this app called yoripe, it's Singapore based so they have a variety of local recipes (I could not find good quality and LOCAL recipes before this) yoripe.com

Believe in yourself and take everyday as a new day!
Great thanks for the good information! Will let my friend know regarding too! Hopefully it gonna work for her. :P :P

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 22 Oct 2019 7:29 pm

Alternatively, pick up some intestinal worms to help absorb excess food.

They’ll take the vital nutrients too, so you will need to eat more of the healthy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 2:44 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 22 Oct 2019 7:29 pm
Alternatively, pick up some intestinal worms to help absorb excess food.

They’ll take the vital nutrients too, so you will need to eat more of the healthy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OMG WORMS????? :???: :???: :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 4:02 pm

I was thinking the same thing when I read it as well.

https://www.healthline.com/health/diet- ... eworm-diet