Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:38 am

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:03 am
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:35 am
You are right to feel paranoid. The last time I cycled on a major road here was about 20 years ago and at the time a long bendy bus pulled up along side me, and as it continue on I had to pull myself and my bike up off of the road as the bus tires rubbed against the curb and I was nearly sandwiched. From that day on, I resolved to only cycle on sidewalks and minor roads. Anyone who thinks nothing will happen to them should read this:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... accident-0

That said, the number of cycling paths in Singapore has really grown in recent years. You can take sidewalks and minor roads to reach these. One of my favorites is to cycle the rail corridor and then branch off at Rifle Range Road, it’s a wonderful hilly challenge that cuts through dense jungle with almost no traffic.
I live right by rifle range! Normally walk the rail corridor, but maybe I’ll try to cycle one fo these days! How far do you go before deciding to turn back around?
We live in the Holland area, so we use the sidewalk up until Jelita and then jump onto the rail corridor from there. After we cross the bridge over Bukit Timah we then cut over to Rifle Range and go all the way to the end (the dirt trail after that is really rough, better for hiking).

I have to confess, on some of the hills we have to stop and walk our bikes up… it’s exhausting! The good thing, less so on the way back - it’s more downhill than up. Sometimes we stop off at Carl’s Junior @King Albert Park for lunch, makes for a nice break.
I’ve ridden up RRR on my foldie - quite a nice physical challenge! A fair few monkeys around that road.

Green corridor has gotten annoying with the 10kph imposed speed limit, people jog faster than riders…

I generally cycle on roads before 0830h to deal with less traffic. Usually up at 0500h for my training…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 1:42 pm

Yeah, some of those monkeys on RRR have quite the attitude, they aren’t scared of traffic and even lay their tail across the road (extends about a meter from their body) as if to dare anyone to run it over 🐵
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:53 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:38 am
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:03 am

I live right by rifle range! Normally walk the rail corridor, but maybe I’ll try to cycle one fo these days! How far do you go before deciding to turn back around?
We live in the Holland area, so we use the sidewalk up until Jelita and then jump onto the rail corridor from there. After we cross the bridge over Bukit Timah we then cut over to Rifle Range and go all the way to the end (the dirt trail after that is really rough, better for hiking).

I have to confess, on some of the hills we have to stop and walk our bikes up… it’s exhausting! The good thing, less so on the way back - it’s more downhill than up. Sometimes we stop off at Carl’s Junior @King Albert Park for lunch, makes for a nice break.
I’ve ridden up RRR on my foldie - quite a nice physical challenge! A fair few monkeys around that road.

Green corridor has gotten annoying with the 10kph imposed speed limit, people jog faster than riders…

I generally cycle on roads before 0830h to deal with less traffic. Usually up at 0500h for my training…

The speed limit is just a suggestion, it’s unenforceable. As long as you’re riding safely and being alert of your surroundings, I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to go faster. I keep my foldable bike for “leisure” rides- like to take it to ECP and the beach occasionally. I find that it just is t suited for the outdoor terrain, I have to ride my mountain bike.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:56 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 1:42 pm
Yeah, some of those monkeys on RRR have quite the attitude, they aren’t scared of traffic and even lay their tail across the road (extends about a meter from their body) as if to dare anyone to run it over 🐵
We used to have monkeys at our condo all the time, they’d break in to the houses on the lower floors and steal food all the time. A couple of years ago, they just disappeared, not sure where they went. There was a whole family, maybe 20 or 30 of them, mothers and fathers and babies.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:48 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:53 pm
BBCDoc wrote:
malcontent wrote:

The speed limit is just a suggestion, it’s unenforceable. As long as you’re riding safely and being alert of your surroundings, I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to go faster. I keep my foldable bike for “leisure” rides- like to take it to ECP and the beach occasionally. I find that it just is t suited for the outdoor terrain, I have to ride my mountain bike.
I don’t know about the unenforceable part — in the news they did catch some people after setting up a speed trap and issued fines.

I supposed you could just cycle away if they didn’t get your face or have anyway of catching you otherwise. On Bukit Timah bridge they sometimes have people enforcing the walk your bike across rule.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Dec 2021 11:11 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:48 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:53 pm
BBCDoc wrote:

I don’t know about the unenforceable part — in the news they did catch some people after setting up a speed trap and issued fines.

I supposed you could just cycle away if they didn’t get your face or have anyway of catching you otherwise. On Bukit Timah bridge they sometimes have people enforcing the walk your bike across rule.
Didn’t know about the speed traps, in my experience none of the cyclists seem to mind the speed limit. If you’ve got your mask on just speed away!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 10:24 am

The speed traps do pop up on the Green Corridor. It made the news a few months back and FB cyclist pages, some getting $300 fines.

Around the PCN between Shears Bridge and Tanjong Rhu are Aux officers ensuring cyclists dismount to cross over - at 0745h on weekdays and weekends!

There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:17 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 10:24 am
The speed traps do pop up on the Green Corridor. It made the news a few months back and FB cyclist pages, some getting $300 fines.

Around the PCN between Shears Bridge and Tanjong Rhu are Aux officers ensuring cyclists dismount to cross over - at 0745h on weekdays and weekends!

Good to know, I’ve personally never encountered any of the traps, think that’s for the better cause I doubt I’ve been keeping to the speed limit.

ChaselLouisa

Post by ChaselLouisa » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 4:26 pm

I am surprised people spew hearsay with so much confidence. If cutting calorie is the only way, u r basically say all fat people r eating more which is simply inhumane.

It’s plain wrong. There r lot of hormonal n metabolic issues. Some people can eat rice n noodles and be thin. But some can’t eat carbs. Also being thin is not the same as being healthy.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 9:28 am

ChaselLouisa wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 4:26 pm
I am surprised people spew hearsay with so much confidence. If cutting calorie is the only way, u r basically say all fat people r eating more which is simply inhumane.

It’s plain wrong. There r lot of hormonal n metabolic issues. Some people can eat rice n noodles and be thin. But some can’t eat carbs. Also being thin is not the same as being healthy.
Let's be clear - you eat more than you burn, whether your hormones are on fire or not so much, then YES you will gain weight. It's the laws of physics.

What do you imagine is the result of hormonal changes? Do you imagine that it results in creating mass out of nothing which is essentially what you are implying when you say that people are eating less than their maintenance calories and still gaining weight? Do you imagine that there's some magic in hormones?

Leave out the emotional appeal from the argument ("inhumane" etc). You can't defy the laws of physics no matter how emotional or unemotional you feel about calories.

Finally, a little bit of reading comprehension is in order. No one said "thin" is healthy. Neither has anyone said anything as vague as "all fat people 'r' eating more".

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:09 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 10:24 am
I’ve cycled around Shears Bridge many times but have never figured out where to cross it.

From Tanjong Rhu, it only possible to cross after a massive stairway climb, or am I missing something?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 9:23 pm

ChaselLouisa wrote:

This is a forum, you don’t need to believe anything anyone says, but we are all entitled to share. At the same time, when you counter with such a strong, sweeping claim that everything shared is “plain wrong”, don’t you commit the same mistake?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 9:24 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 27 Apr 2022 9:28 am
ChaselLouisa wrote:

Let's be clear - you eat more than you burn, whether your hormones are on fire or not so much, then YES you will gain weight. It's the laws of physics.

What do you imagine is the result of hormonal changes? Do you imagine that it results in creating mass out of nothing which is essentially what you are implying when you say that people are eating less than their maintenance calories and still gaining weight? Do you imagine that there's some magic in hormones?

Leave out the emotional appeal from the argument ("inhumane" etc). You can't defy the laws of physics no matter how emotional or unemotional you feel about calories.

Finally, a little bit of reading comprehension is in order. No one said "thin" is healthy. Neither has anyone said anything as vague as "all fat people 'r' eating more".
Last part is so important. We tend to associate thinness with beauty and beauty with health, but this isn’t always the case - eating disorders etc show that thinness (especially unnatural or extreme thinness) can be more unhealthy than being a little plump.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 25 May 2022 7:21 pm

Here Are A Few Suggestions For Losing Weight Or Getting Skinny Quickly Without Going On A “diet”
https://retroworldnews.com/how-to-lose- ... ng-a-diet/

upscalevalley

Post by upscalevalley » Mon, 29 Aug 2022 8:43 pm

I am 21 yrs old and my weight is almost 70 kgs. The BMI says that it should be around 50-54kgs. Could anybody please help me getting it reduce. I will be very thankful. :(