Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 14 Sep 2021 12:14 am

Lol reduce carb by eating rice. Brown rice has exactly the same amount of carbs.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:36 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Mon, 31 May 2021 5:43 pm
A work colleague of mine returned from furlough (circa 9 months all in all) with a 45kg loss from following the keto diet.

She has said she’s never felt better in her life, with the health of some decades younger than her actual age.

She did mention it was quite gruelling in the beginning, but that once she got a handle on it she just felt better. More energised, less aches and pains, overall healthier feeling.

I’ve always been unsure on keto because of potential heart health concerns about the fat element - but I am sure that’s more about ensuring the kind of fats being consumed are good ones.
First 2 weeks are pretty bad- migraines, low energy, general moodiness but I think its just the body adjusting to such drastic changes. After that, things get much better.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:37 pm

YangMi wrote:
Mon, 13 Sep 2021 1:48 pm
reduce carbohydrate intake, switch to brown rice
Or cauliflower rice, doesn’t taste the same but has close to 0 calories.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:38 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 14 Sep 2021 12:14 am
Lol reduce carb by eating rice. Brown rice has exactly the same amount of carbs.
And tastes much worse! But “The bran and germ, the two outer layers of brown rice, contain most of the vitamins and minerals in the grain”, which is why its the healthier choice.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:41 pm

Brown rice tends to fill you up and digests much slower. So you tend to feel less hungry.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Sep 2021 3:19 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:38 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
And tastes much worse! But “The bran and germ, the two outer layers of brown rice, contain most of the vitamins and minerals in the grain”, which is why its the healthier choice.
Sadly, the vitamins and minerals do not make up for the fact that it is still considered one of the "white" killer starches (along with bread, potatoes and pasta) that turns into sugar and not the fast burning kind like glucose and sucrose, but the reside in fat cells kind.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 18 Sep 2021 8:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 17 Sep 2021 3:19 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:
Sadly, the vitamins and minerals do not make up for the fact that it is still considered one of the "white" killer starches (along with bread, potatoes and pasta) that turns into sugar and not the fast burning kind like glucose and sucrose, but the reside in fat cells kind.
Correct. High carbohydrate erodes all benefits . All this slow digestion and minerals theory is crap. Brown rice does not help lose weight. Not is it good for insulin resistant diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure.

Most of u repeat what u have heard. Has any of it actually worked. Cutting carbs drastically and eating more fats is the best way to lose weight and improve health.

Two years back, in my annual medical the doctor called and told my sugar is high. I cut on most carbs and never took medicine n lost 10kg plus. The doc told me there is no escaping medicine. I never needed one. And I maintained since two years.

Brown rice theory is not real. It’s an illusion.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 18 Sep 2021 9:14 am

Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:
I actually like it better but rice is rice, some difference, a bit less carbs but still rice. On the other hand it all depends how the diet is balance. Having even plain rice from time to time is not a big crime.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 18 Sep 2021 9:27 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:37 pm
YangMi wrote:
You sound like you are ready for konjac noodles / rice substitutes :) Recently some more edible products appeared on Amazon.sg.
I just had for breakfast pretty decent chicken katsu curry udon I prepared with this:
https://www.amazon.sg/Better-Than-Organ ... 081S1JPVJ/

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 3:13 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 18 Sep 2021 9:14 am
Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:
I actually like it better but rice is rice, some difference, a bit less carbs but still rice. On the other hand it all depends how the diet is balance. Having even plain rice from time to time is not a big crime.
Rule of thumb is just to consume in moderation. Too much of anything can’t be good for you, but just a little won’t hurt.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 3:14 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 18 Sep 2021 9:27 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:37 pm
YangMi wrote:
You sound like you are ready for konjac noodles / rice substitutes :) Recently some more edible products appeared on Amazon.sg.
I just had for breakfast pretty decent chicken katsu curry udon I prepared with this:
https://www.amazon.sg/Better-Than-Organ ... 081S1JPVJ/
I’ve actually tried konjac noodles before, I think the brand was xndo. Tasted nothing like noodles but had a great texture. Helps if you manage your expectations and treat it as it’s own category of food.

Shopalleverty

Post by Shopalleverty » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:47 am

If your BMI is overweight (>27), you can consider weight loss pills but prescription ones. I have tried exercising, dieting, meal replacements etc but all have failed. I got my duromine from www.sienahealth.com/weight-loss. The doctor took time to explain to me all the side effects and things to note.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:54 am

I tried brown rice for two months as well as took less white rice. Eating less white rice seemed to have helped me lose 1 kg, eating brown rice did not help me lose weight..

But too much temptations, I could not keep up the momentum to keep eating less white rice/carbs all the time...you know when you see your family eat and you can only look.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:44 pm

Well for all saying this works and that doesn't, at the end of the day, whichever way you achieve weight loss, at the end of the day it is calories in vs out. All the micro vs macro manipulation boils down to just calorie reduction. You can do all the keto diet you want, but if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight. If you are not, then either you are badly mistaken or you have found a way to defy the laws of physics.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:24 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 26 Sep 2021 1:44 pm
Well for all saying this works and that doesn't, at the end of the day, whichever way you achieve weight loss, at the end of the day it is calories in vs out. All the micro vs macro manipulation boils down to just calorie reduction. You can do all the keto diet you want, but if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight. If you are not, then either you are badly mistaken or you have found a way to defy the laws of physics.
More calories is bad. That I agree with. But Calorie from carbs is worse than that from fat n protein.

I am surprised people spew hearsay with so much confidence. If cutting calorie is the only way, u r basically say all fat people r eating more which is simply inhumane.

It’s plain wrong. There r lot of hormonal n metabolic issues. Some people can eat rice n noodles and be thin. But some can’t eat carbs. Also being thin is not the same as being healthy.

Calorie deficit is not right. A balance of macros is needed depending on ur situation.