Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 9:05 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:33 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 3:04 am

My thoughts exactly, I’ve had some pretty fruitful interactions with midlet on other threads, but our views seem to diverge on this topic.
Calories from carb is not the same as calorie from fat n protein. To lose weight, cutting calories is not so imp as long as it’s coming from fats n proteins and not carbs. The key to losing weight is keeping Insulin Low which is a fat storing hormone.

Tell me, what have u guys read on this topic. You are exactly telling me what I knew for most of my life. And then I started learning and reading and realised the truth is completely different from what most believe.

Tell me ur source of truth. How do u know All calories r same. How do u know calories out and calories in is the right strategy.
Calories are calories, there is no difference whatsoever. The only difference is nutrition and the amount of each type of food you will be able to consume.
This I cant believe. Its certainly not true but you are entirely entitled . Just bcuz majority believe this nonsense does not make it true. This is exactly the reason why obesity has increased in the last few decades. Bcus people are getting more calories from Junk Processed food, Carbs and Sugar. And less from Fats and Proteins.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 4:01 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 9:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

Calories from carb is not the same as calorie from fat n protein. To lose weight, cutting calories is not so imp as long as it’s coming from fats n proteins and not carbs. The key to losing weight is keeping Insulin Low which is a fat storing hormone.

Tell me, what have u guys read on this topic. You are exactly telling me what I knew for most of my life. And then I started learning and reading and realised the truth is completely different from what most believe.

Tell me ur source of truth. How do u know All calories r same. How do u know calories out and calories in is the right strategy.
Calories are calories, there is no difference whatsoever. The only difference is nutrition and the amount of each type of food you will be able to consume.
This I cant believe. Its certainly not true but you are entirely entitled . Just bcuz majority believe this nonsense does not make it true. This is exactly the reason why obesity has increased in the last few decades. Bcus people are getting more calories from Junk Processed food, Carbs and Sugar. And less from Fats and Proteins.
If the majority believe this, with overwhelming scientific justification, perhaps they have a point?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 7:28 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 9:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:

You can't believe it? This is the keyword. Keep arrogantly telling people that they are idiots (implicitly) because they contradict your beliefs.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 7:52 am

As one of my friends said, you never saw fat people in concentration camps.

Should look at what diet and exercise routine they implement at those…I’m better there’s a calorie deficit somewhere, and the food ain’t great quality…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 8:09 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:29 pm

Fats dont increase insulin. So calories from Fats is not as harmful as calories from Carbs.
I don't know if you are going to try moving the goalposts on this one but this point is usually part of the core beliefs of dogmatic people like you.

You may further "research" it, but protein and fat increase your insulin too. Any form of food that you ingest will do that.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 1:39 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 8:09 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:29 pm

Fats dont increase insulin. So calories from Fats is not as harmful as calories from Carbs.
I don't know if you are going to try moving the goalposts on this one but this point is usually part of the core beliefs of dogmatic people like you.

You may further "research" it, but protein and fat increase your insulin too. Any form of food that you ingest will do that.
Then Fast. That does not increase insulin.

Calories r the same. Not true

Calorie deficit helps. Ofcoz it does but at expense of metabolic and hormonal imbalance.

The real answer for people wanting to lose weight is to eat in a way that keeps Insulin Low. Fats increase insulin but 5-10% of what’s carbs do. Proteins raise around 30% of carbs.

Insulin is Low when u reduce carbs and do fasting. U don’t have to cut calories. Eating fats n protein builds hormones and keeps ur metabolic health good in addition to optimal weight.

Sorry but calling me dogmatic is not gonna fly. All u do is pat each other’s back n mock me. That’s ridiculous when u can’t even tell me why u believe why u believe.

I am not surprised at the majority view here.
Wrong like most things.

Instead of reading any of links I shared and be open minded , all I see is constant bullying . I am just sharing what I have learnt and it makes sense . Not one of u chose to research more.

Go ahead eat cake and chips but stop at 80% of ur calorie requirement . And enjoy ur calories deficit logic of being slim.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 3:10 am

I love all this weight loss sniping and people who are not dietary nutritionists or anything remotely related. I'd love to know how many kg you have lost, how long it took you to lose it and how long you managed keep the weight off. I care less about the diet itself. As long as you are eating properly, e.g., not fasting, not doing a cabbage diet or taking pills or other crap except maybe a multivitamin while on the diet then if it works it's okay. For the record, the USDA no longer uses the old food pyramid with the vast majority at the bottom of the pyramid being grains/carbs. That was a con that was perpetrated by the US Grain growers back in the 50's. It is now the small group at the top of the pyramid. For the record, in Jan, 2008, I went on a diet created by a S.African Cardiologist who is now based in the US. I had to do a full blood workup three time during the course of the programme and had to submit a full medical history before he would design the diet specifically for me. (I was 60 when I started the diet) in 22 weeks I lost 25 kg. Dropping from 94kg on a 1.7m frame to 69 kg which was my military discharge weight in Jul 1968. I stailized at 72 kg which was my 'fighting weight' and stayed there for 8 years before slowly relaxing and started eating junk between meals. I've gained half of it back but 8 kg of that has been since I retired 2.5 years ago and 2 years of Covid. In the process, I got rid of HBP, High Cholesterol to the point where my personal physician took me of my medications. No special foods, but some I couldn't eat. No processed foods. Everything came of the fresh food counters of NTUC. If you do a search on here during 2008 you might find a number of posts about my progress during that diet.

I am a new Man! \:D/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 12 Oct 2021 3:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 01 Oct 2021 3:10 am
I love all this weight loss sniping and people who are not dietary nutritionists or anything remotely related. I'd love to know how many kg you have lost, how long it took you to lose it and how long you managed keep the weight off. I care less about the diet itself. As long as you are eating properly, e.g., not fasting, not doing a cabbage diet or taking pills or other crap except maybe a multivitamin while on the diet then if it works it's okay. For the record, the USDA no longer uses the old food pyramid with the vast majority at the bottom of the pyramid being grains/carbs. That was a con that was perpetrated by the US Grain growers back in the 50's. It is now the small group at the top of the pyramid. For the record, in Jan, 2008, I went on a diet created by a S.African Cardiologist who is now based in the US. I had to do a full blood workup three time during the course of the programme and had to submit a full medical history before he would design the diet specifically for me. (I was 60 when I started the diet) in 22 weeks I lost 25 kg. Dropping from 94kg on a 1.7m frame to 69 kg which was my military discharge weight in Jul 1968. I stailized at 72 kg which was my 'fighting weight' and stayed there for 8 years before slowly relaxing and started eating junk between meals. I've gained half of it back but 8 kg of that has been since I retired 2.5 years ago and 2 years of Covid. In the process, I got rid of HBP, High Cholesterol to the point where my personal physician took me of my medications. No special foods, but some I couldn't eat. No processed foods. Everything came of the fresh food counters of NTUC. If you do a search on here during 2008 you might find a number of posts about my progress during that diet.

I am a new Man! \:D/

I did keto sincerely for 6 months. First 3 months I lost 9 kg without any gym. I lost another 2 with gym. From 80->70. I am 171 cm tall.

With this WFH, I am able to maintain 72-73 for 2 years now without strict keto but def low carb.

More importantly, for the first time , my metabolic age was same as actual age. And I feel that , low carb and high protein/fat is good for hormonal and metabolic health. Around 40 years

I mostly eat meat, eggs, little vegetables. I rarely eat rice/wheat/bread/lentils/processed foods/sugar. I eat quite a bit of Beef organ supplements. My food budget though is high. Around 2k per month.

I believe this is scientifically correct despite what the majority thinks. I believe keto and meat based diet keeps Insulin low. At the same time, it keeps Gut health optimal cuz Human stomach is suitable to digesting meat and not vegetables.

I never fast or cut calories. However, I eat twice a day, at max thrice. Dont snack. Mostly eat low carb and high protein / fat based food. This is exactly what the new theory suggests. No calorie cutting, just eat the right kind of calories.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 12 Oct 2021 4:03 pm

I would recommend a book "Why we get Sick" by Ben Bickman. He addresses the issue of Insulin Resistance over time due to too much processed food and sugar/carbs and how many diseases like BP, Diabetes, Obesity can be controlled and reversed. To me, it simply makes sense.

I have seen in India. Most people eat simple and less but its 90% carbs. And chronic diseases are rampant. My dad always ate less and not much protein or fat. He is extremely thin and he has Diab, BP, Thyroid, Mild Heart Attack an extremely low LDL cholesterol.

When I see around me, I just dont see any benefit of Carbs at all.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Oct 2021 5:56 pm

midlet2013, your eating habits are somewhat similar to mine. In the past 5 weeks according to my scales this morning, I've lost 6.2kg in 5 weeks. *I still eat my main meals based according to my weight loss program of 14 years ago. only the weights are not strict, slightly more but not enough to offset their purpose. Snacking again is what sank my boat. I've quit my Snickers penchant and most of the after 8 pm snacks (I'm normally up till 0300 hrs everyday so it a long haul between 7 pm nightly 'meal'.) I drink only black tea - Teh 'O' Kosong - and Pepsi Black in the evenings after dinner (usually two between 8 pm ~ 3am) So, as my knees are almost totally crook, and I have a 40 year history of gout, but mostly dietary controlled for the past 20 years. It's hard to get any cardio as swimming and cycling used to be my go to for that. About 3 months ago I invested in a Bionic Gym system and this thing is the cat's meow for cardio exercise and weight loss as well. I'm happy as a pig in Sh*t at how this thing is going. I put it on for either one or two hours at night while watching netflix on the PC. We will see how it continues.......

On the reduction of vegetables, I have my vegetables the same weight (gms) as my protein source. However, I do not eat any vegetable that is root based or grows beneath the surface of the ground as they are all starches which turn to sugar. I don't eat any potatoes, carrots, rice or grains, not pasta, no white breads and very few breads of any colour. Sadly I can't eat organ meats due to the purine protein content of organs - asking for major gout attack that way. Purine is one of the prime types of protein that cause the production of Uric Acid which causes gout attacks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:16 am

Congrats SMS on ur weight management.

From what I see about your eating habit, you ditched Most of the Carbs too. Which is exactly what is needed to reduce Insulin Response which is a fat storing hormone. With low insulin in body, u have a higher chance of losing weight. I think from wt perspective, eating foods that trigger low Insulin (which are fat and protein) n occasional fasting (Insulin goes to zero after 12 hour fast and then ur body burns fat instead of glucose).

That was my whole point. Calories from low carb vegetables, protein and meat can help u lose weight n be healthier without cutting Calories. Not all calories r same.

When I started eating more fat n moderate Protein and low carb, I was concerned too. But I never had any issue with Gout or high URIC acid. I made a habit of drinking Lemon Water daily. I have seen some interesting videos that Gout is more related to Carb consumption than Protein. But cant be sure.

I dont eat Organ meat myself. But I buy supplements from Ancestral Supplements (another option is Heart and Soil Co). They have various supplements in desiccated forms like liver , organs, etc. I just think of these as Nutrient Dense food.
Tue, 12 Oct 2021 5:56 pm
midlet2013, your eating habits are somewhat similar to mine. In the past 5 weeks according to my scales this morning, I've lost 6.2kg in 5 weeks. *I still eat my main meals based according to my weight loss program of 14 years ago. only the weights are not strict, slightly more but not enough to offset their purpose. Snacking again is what sank my boat. I've quit my Snickers penchant and most of the after 8 pm snacks (I'm normally up till 0300 hrs everyday so it a long haul between 7 pm nightly 'meal'.) I drink only black tea - Teh 'O' Kosong - and Pepsi Black in the evenings after dinner (usually two between 8 pm ~ 3am) So, as my knees are almost totally crook, and I have a 40 year history of gout, but mostly dietary controlled for the past 20 years. It's hard to get any cardio as swimming and cycling used to be my go to for that. About 3 months ago I invested in a Bionic Gym system and this thing is the cat's meow for cardio exercise and weight loss as well. I'm happy as a pig in Sh*t at how this thing is going. I put it on for either one or two hours at night while watching netflix on the PC. We will see how it continues.......

On the reduction of vegetables, I have my vegetables the same weight (gms) as my protein source. However, I do not eat any vegetable that is root based or grows beneath the surface of the ground as they are all starches which turn to sugar. I don't eat any potatoes, carrots, rice or grains, not pasta, no white breads and very few breads of any colour. Sadly I can't eat organ meats due to the purine protein content of organs - asking for major gout attack that way. Purine is one of the prime types of protein that cause the production of Uric Acid which causes gout attacks.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:21 am

After losing 9 kgs, for the first time in 10 years, I buy Medium size t-shirts and smaller waist size pants. Altho I was not excessively obese. I started to do this to lower sugar and weight loss came as a surprising benefit. I love it and am never going back.

And with the knowledge that Carbs are the culprit and its not excess calories or exercise, I know as long as I eat sensibly , I will not gain weight again. I used to spend 500$ on trainer with no result. And just ditching carbs gave me everything I needed.

Eating right takes a lot of effort but its so worth it. And every Individual has to find a way. Diff people have diff carb response. But in general, I think this is true for most people, i.e., carbs n processed food n sugar are bad for most.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 1:58 pm

Dieting is a prescription to correct an imbalance in the body. Some diets do not do this but only cause weight loss. What need retraining/reprogramming is the serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is what causes/triggers your insulin response. It is also what causes cravings. That was the beauty of the programme I was on 14 years ago. I only weighed my foods and didn't worry about the calories (however the MD who designed the programme did so on an individual basis and was not suitable for others, but he did all calculations, you just had to eat according to the program (actually caloric intake was about 800/day but as you weren't allow to exercise and the diet was changing the serotonin response level you didn't have hunger cravings but because it was also causing the body not to go into starvation mode, you body was burning fat at high levels. I lost on average of 1.1 kg/wk across the 22 weeks of the program. Never felt hungry at all. And as what you ate during the diet was just healthy fresh foods, it is easy to maintain by just increasing the quantities until you stabilize your weight. This is part of the 2nd program which ran from 10~14 days at the end of the primary program where you started adding food and quantities a little bit at a time until you found that level which started to cause weight gain. So you backtracked two days and that gave you the optimum quantities that would not cause you to start gaining weight.

The whole program is not a diet but a life style change and the weight loss portion is just the prescription to get your body back to where it should be. But, just any bad habit, you binge you trigger cravings and most are not capable of stopping it, and continue to binge.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 2:57 pm

Excellent. I am glad to hear ur experience. You certainly worked hard to make this change and it sounds like you are happy with it.

Diets are unsustainable. I look at low carb style eating as a Lifestyle too. Has tremendous health benefits. I plan to continue it for long.

I will try to understand this Serotonin phenomenon. I have not yet researched its link to Insulin Response.

I never counted calories but due to high Fat content in my food, I never felt hungry. I never pushed myself to starve to lose weight. It happened naturally as a consequence of eating Low Carb food.

I did follow recipes from DietDoctor and tips from Eric Westman who runs a LCHF clinic in Duke Univ.

My efforts were mostly self study and experiments but it helped me a lot.
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 1:58 pm
Dieting is a prescription to correct an imbalance in the body. Some diets do not do this but only cause weight loss. What need retraining/reprogramming is the serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is what causes/triggers your insulin response. It is also what causes cravings. That was the beauty of the programme I was on 14 years ago. I only weighed my foods and didn't worry about the calories (however the MD who designed the programme did so on an individual basis and was not suitable for others, but he did all calculations, you just had to eat according to the program (actually caloric intake was about 800/day but as you weren't allow to exercise and the diet was changing the serotonin response level you didn't have hunger cravings but because it was also causing the body not to go into starvation mode, you body was burning fat at high levels. I lost on average of 1.1 kg/wk across the 22 weeks of the program. Never felt hungry at all. And as what you ate during the diet was just healthy fresh foods, it is easy to maintain by just increasing the quantities until you stabilize your weight. This is part of the 2nd program which ran from 10~14 days at the end of the primary program where you started adding food and quantities a little bit at a time until you found that level which started to cause weight gain. So you backtracked two days and that gave you the optimum quantities that would not cause you to start gaining weight.

The whole program is not a diet but a life style change and the weight loss portion is just the prescription to get your body back to where it should be. But, just any bad habit, you binge you trigger cravings and most are not capable of stopping it, and continue to binge.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 14 Oct 2021 9:54 am

Check this out - lost 2kg in a week. Did 2 mornings of intense cycling, and increase vegetable and fruit consumption, minima rice consumption.

Still had breads and oats in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more