Singapore Expats

How to lose weight?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: How to lose weight?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 5:51 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 6:40 am

Here’s my weight after a few more weeks. Mainly fluctuating around 68kg.

I have increased the amount of hills I am cycling on, so perhaps a bit of muscle buildings there since they have gotten a bit easier over a few weeks of training.

Diet generally the same, no major changes and still consuming a lot of unhealthy savoury carbo snacks.

Work had been hectic over the last weeks, hopefully get to dial down a little and get the diet a bit healthier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off topic but do you use an app to track your cycling workouts?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

How to lose weight?

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 01 Dec 2021 6:50 am

Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

I use Strava, Wahoo Elements and Garmin Connect to all capture various sensors for cycling.

Not ideal, but as good as it can get. Strava is a good motivator, as it compares your riding performance against the community, helping to assess which areas you can improve more (if you have a competitive streak)

There's always room for one more

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 01 Dec 2021 8:10 am

I would assume it’s something like this:

https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/health- ... black.html

Prices on “smart scales” have come down considerably since I bought mine for US$199 around 5 years ago. Mine is Withings brand and I would NOT recommend the one that I have, the wifi link to the phone app always breaks and it’s so troublesome to reestablish. Today my smart scale is a dumb scale, because I’m too lazy to keep fixing it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 5:57 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Wed, 01 Dec 2021 6:50 am
Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:

I use Strava, Wahoo Elements and Garmin Connect to all capture various sensors for cycling.

Not ideal, but as good as it can get. Strava is a good motivator, as it compares your riding performance against the community, helping to assess which areas you can improve more (if you have a competitive streak)

I see, I cycle recreationally but would like to get more into it and start cycle longer distances. This will be a good start. I’m very competitive, so I’ll give Strava a go.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 6:00 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 01 Dec 2021 8:10 am
I would assume it’s something like this:

https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/health- ... black.html

Prices on “smart scales” have come down considerably since I bought mine for US$199 around 5 years ago. Mine is Withings brand and I would NOT recommend the one that I have, the wifi link to the phone app always breaks and it’s so troublesome to reestablish. Today my smart scale is a dumb scale, because I’m too lazy to keep fixing it.
Hahahaha, relatable. I prefer buying tech products that are meant to pair with my phone, sometimes its not possible but when it is its much more fuss-free.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 9:55 pm

I want to try cycling to lose weight but am quite paranoid about cycling on the roads.. Its always so crowded feels intimidating.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:35 am

abbby wrote:
Fri, 24 Dec 2021 9:55 pm
I want to try cycling to lose weight but am quite paranoid about cycling on the roads.. Its always so crowded feels intimidating.
You are right to feel paranoid. The last time I cycled on a major road here was about 20 years ago and at the time a long bendy bus pulled up along side me, and as it continue on I had to pull myself and my bike up off of the road as the bus tires rubbed against the curb and I was nearly sandwiched. From that day on, I resolved to only cycle on sidewalks and minor roads. Anyone who thinks nothing will happen to them should read this:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... accident-0

That said, the number of cycling paths in Singapore has really grown in recent years. You can take sidewalks and minor roads to reach these. One of my favorites is to cycle the rail corridor and then branch off at Rifle Range Road, it’s a wonderful hilly challenge that cuts through dense jungle with almost no traffic.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:02 am

abbby wrote:
I wouldn’t cycle on the roads unless I was really an advanced cyclist. Even though I’ve been cycling since I was a kid and can even manage without any hands on the handlebars I would rather stay out of the way of motorists. Safer for me, and for them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:03 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:35 am
abbby wrote:
You are right to feel paranoid. The last time I cycled on a major road here was about 20 years ago and at the time a long bendy bus pulled up along side me, and as it continue on I had to pull myself and my bike up off of the road as the bus tires rubbed against the curb and I was nearly sandwiched. From that day on, I resolved to only cycle on sidewalks and minor roads. Anyone who thinks nothing will happen to them should read this:

That said, the number of cycling paths in Singapore has really grown in recent years. You can take sidewalks and minor roads to reach these. One of my favorites is to cycle the rail corridor and then branch off at Rifle Range Road, it’s a wonderful hilly challenge that cuts through dense jungle with almost no traffic.
I live right by rifle range! Normally walk the rail corridor, but maybe I’ll try to cycle one fo these days! How far do you go before deciding to turn back around?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:22 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:03 am
malcontent wrote:
abbby wrote:

I live right by rifle range! Normally walk the rail corridor, but maybe I’ll try to cycle one fo these days! How far do you go before deciding to turn back around?
We live in the Holland area, so we use the sidewalk up until Jelita and then jump onto the rail corridor from there. After we cross the bridge over Bukit Timah we then cut over to Rifle Range and go all the way to the end (the dirt trail after that is really rough, better for hiking).

I have to confess, on some of the hills we have to stop and walk our bikes up… it’s exhausting! The good thing, less so on the way back - it’s more downhill than up. Sometimes we stop off at Carl’s Junior @King Albert Park for lunch, makes for a nice break.

PrinceHeldun

Post by PrinceHeldun » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 10:38 pm

I lost 10 kg in the last 3 months! I'm so excited, and that's because I eat what I want but in small portions and do workout in the gym)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:22 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:03 am
malcontent wrote:

We live in the Holland area, so we use the sidewalk up until Jelita and then jump onto the rail corridor from there. After we cross the bridge over Bukit Timah we then cut over to Rifle Range and go all the way to the end (the dirt trail after that is really rough, better for hiking).

I have to confess, on some of the hills we have to stop and walk our bikes up… it’s exhausting! The good thing, less so on the way back - it’s more downhill than up. Sometimes we stop off at Carl’s Junior @King Albert Park for lunch, makes for a nice break.
Can only imagine how exhausting it must be but that’s what makes cycling such a good workout! Next time you’re at KAP, try royal thai- some of the best Thai food in the area, maybe even SG. I personally recommend the tomyum noodles and spring rolls.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:24 am

PrinceHeldun wrote:
Sat, 25 Dec 2021 10:38 pm
I lost 10 kg in the last 3 months! I'm so excited, and that's because I eat what I want but in small portions and do workout in the gym)
Good for you! I lost 15 in 3 months through boxing, but have more or less maintained my weight since then.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 9:54 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:23 am
Next time you’re at KAP, try royal thai- some of the best Thai food in the area, maybe even SG. I personally recommend the tomyum noodles and spring rolls.
Thanks for the tip. Will definitely try it out sometime. We normally go to Joe’s Kitchen for Thai food, decent for the price.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 2:53 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 9:54 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:23 am
Next time you’re at KAP, try royal thai- some of the best Thai food in the area, maybe even SG. I personally recommend the tomyum noodles and spring rolls.
Thanks for the tip. Will definitely try it out sometime. We normally go to Joe’s Kitchen for Thai food, decent for the price.
I think I remember reading a post where you recommended them, I’ve been a couple times since, great food but I prefer Royal Thai. Let me know what you think!