Singapore Expats

New car or Used Car?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: New car or Used Car?

Post by The Ref » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 10:04 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 9:21 am
tiktok wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 8:50 am
3,300 total cost on the road? Sounds appealing. But aren't you drenched in sweat after every journey?
Yes 5 years COE left. Not sweat but rain can be an issue.
I got a CBR150R with just over 2 years remaining for $2.8K gets me around except when it rains and I always wear protective jacket if I am going on expressways so wear an undershirt then put my work shirt on when I get there

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 2:20 pm

I guess COE cars can be consider also right? the only difference is being able to get back the paper value at the end of the day anot. And is actually about the same.

Able to get back paper value = monthly high payment
Unable to get back paper value = monthly slightly lower payment

Who else agree ? Hmm

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 2:35 pm

Is there such a thing as non COE car in Singapore?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:25 pm

I don't think so. You can have a care for 30 years if you want, but you have to renew the COE ever 10 years at the prevailing COE rates for the cc size of the engine. I have a relative here who is on year 25 at the moment with his '94 Mazda Miata MX5 Convertible. It was bought new and has been totally cosmetically restored once (otherwise accident free). So he's got a few more years to decide if he wants to renew it again (10 years) or for 5 years. If he renews it for 5 years it HAS to be scrapped at the end of the 5 years, but if he renews it for 10 he can continue for 10 more and then renew it again & again. The issue isn't with the COE as all vehicle owner need to have the Certificate of Entitlement for the vehicle they are driving. The difference is the loss of the PARF (Preferential Additional Registration Fee). So, really there are no NON-COE cars but it's all word play.

https://coecarloan.com.sg/coe-car-in-si ... ould-know/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks. This scrap after 5 years makes no sense, what's the logic in that rule?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:41 pm

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 2:35 pm
Is there such a thing as non COE car in Singapore?
Usually when someone says NON COE Car, it refers to cars that are driven less than 10 years. Some may want to scrap it upon reaching the 10 years. Some feels that the car is still in good condition to continue, they will renew for either 5 years or 10 years. :wink: :wink:
Last edited by joeyy on Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:42 pm

We've been asking that question since 1990 when the COE system started. :-k

I was so opposed to the system that I got rid of both of my cars and haven't owned one since.
76 Ford Cortina_02_zpsfuyu3zgd.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:42 pm
We've been asking that question since 1990 when the COE system started. :-k

I was so opposed to the system that I got rid of both of my cars and haven't owned one since.76 Ford Cortina_02_zpsfuyu3zgd.jpg
That is a very legendary old gems. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:59 pm

Joeyy, I restored both of them in my backyard. I had a workshop (open shed with tin roof) 5m x 4m just to the left of the photograph. Restoring cars & Motorcycles used to be one of my passions when I was younger. The mini-cooper was a 1966 and the Ford Cortina (1976) was a special anniversary edition celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Ford Assembly Plant in Singapore.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 4:10 pm

Mon, 07 Oct 2019 3:59 pm
Joeyy, I restored both of them in my backyard. I had a workshop (open shed with tin roof) 5m x 4m just to the left of the photograph. Restoring cars & Motorcycles used to be one of my passions when I was younger. The mini-cooper was a 1966 and the Ford Cortina (1976) was a special anniversary edition celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Ford Assembly Plant in Singapore.
WOW You mean you still have them with you? :shock: :shock: :shock:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 6:16 pm

Got rid of them in 1990 about 5.5 month after the COE system started (before the grace period to pay COE on them started). I've not owned a car since as if I can raise two kids 6 & 1 yr old without a car living in Seletar Camp, I don't need one anywhere on this island. I've been in my own HDB flat for 20 years this year and still don't need a car.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:18 pm

Mon, 07 Oct 2019 6:16 pm
Got rid of them in 1990 about 5.5 month after the COE system started (before the grace period to pay COE on them started). I've not owned a car since as if I can raise two kids 6 & 1 yr old without a car living in Seletar Camp, I don't need one anywhere on this island. I've been in my own HDB flat for 20 years this year and still don't need a car.
wow! Amazing! haha. You did it well. :wink: :wink:
Probably I should not allow my children to rely on having a car as convenient purposes too. :-k

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 2:46 pm

DuckjuKang wrote:
Tue, 22 Oct 2019 1:19 am
do you need a car for your family? how often do you drive? unless you have a very good reason to, using grab/gojek will probably save you way more money. this site did the calculation a long time ago on Uber & Grab in SG vs owning a car, but it's probably still the same case with Grab & GoJek, if not even better since those services are still providing so much discounts:
[sanitized by moderator]
Agreed with that. But sometimes during peak hour, or rainy days. The price went from hmm to WOW. HAHA! 8-[ 8-[ Unable to predict much how often do we need the car as we have kids. Sometimes, we have family days, bringing kids out etc. Calculation if to be on grab, one month expenses on grab could be probably near to $1k. Which i think can support a not so high end car. I guess? #-o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 3:57 pm

About the cheapest you will have with any car (old or new) is about $1,500/mo. Don't forget you need to add in Parking fees (season and at work as well - if in the CBD, die-die already), petrol charges, road tax, repairs, Insurance and other misc & sundry costs.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 5:13 pm

Let me chip in my views as well. 2 years ago, I changed my job which requires me to commute between Changi and Town. I stay in Novena and has always take Grab/Uber (when it still exists). If I am working in Town only, I would probably never get a car. However, with the commute, I figured it is easier to get a car.

Disclaimer, I am a self-proclaimed terrible driver (another story for another day) and I am not sure where to get the car fixed (given the frequency I get it scratched and some bumps), how to get insurance sorted, etc. I figured the easiest approach (at that point) is to rent a car, given I have zero experience towards owning a car and the responsibilities that comes with it. Essentially, its like buying a property versus renting a property. For me, I wanted some basic understanding before I jump in to buy a car.

Pros: When I have a problem with the car (think scratch/bumps, etc), I call the rental company, they pick up the car and provide another alternate car for me to drive. I dont have to care about insurance, maintenance, etc. I only need to focus on monthly rental, parking, ERP charges and petrol.

Cons: Its obviously a lot more expensive and I dont get the "No Claim Discount" for insurance if i had own a car.

After two years of renting, I am ready to buy a car and am shopping. I would be getting a second handed car for a few reasons based on my "window shopping" experiences so far. Obviously, they are cheaper (try to avoid the Hitachi loan arrangements even though it allows you to put in a lower deposit because it is likely you will lose money when you sell the car) versus renting. If you do plan to buy a brand new car, you should be quite sure that you will not leave Singapore within the next 2-3 years because the depreciation are the highest and the downpayments are significant as well. I don't have a fixed plan on how long I will stay, so I prefer some flexibility in case I need to sell the car within a short period.

Hope you find these information useful!