Singapore Expats

New car or Used Car?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

New car or Used Car?

Post by joeyy » Wed, 02 Oct 2019 1:42 pm

Having the consideration of getting a car however.. due to the current market, should I get a new car or used car? Too much consideration to look into. Or renting a car will be much better?

Would like to hear some opinion from you guys. :P :P :P :-k :-k :-k

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: New car or Used Car?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Oct 2019 3:15 pm

I sold both of my cars 6 months after the COE system went into effect in 1990 (Before the grace period expired). Never looked back. Been using BMW (Bus-MRT-Walk) ever since except for a couple of years with a Company car. More vacations this way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Wed, 02 Oct 2019 3:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019 3:15 pm
I sold both of my cars 6 months after the COE system went into effect in 1990 (Before the grace period expired). Never looked back. Been using BMW (Bus-MRT-Walk) ever since except for a couple of years with a Company car. More vacations this way.
haha BMW indeed save alot. In need a car for family purposes ): So not sure, which to go for. #-o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Oct 2019 5:03 pm

Well, I'm of mixed emotions re: family purposes. My children grew up in Seletar Camp which back in the 90s was still pretty ulu and the single bus out of the camp was erratic at best and had to travel to Seletar Hills for the basics & wet market. But the last 8 years I lived there was without a car. My children learned how and both are now married and have their own flats. Neither have cars. My daughter and her husband have two sons (4 yr & 11 mo.) Both work so have a helper as one works downtown and the other work at the farthest reaches of Tuas, but they live in Woodlands. They have never had a car. Doing fine. My son & his wife doesn't have any children yet, but both work, he has his own business down in little India and she works for a radio station as a presenter/disc jockey. Both rely on BMW as well - they live in Teck Whye. I learned long ago and tried to instil in them, that having a car was rediculous in a country like Singapore but where I'm from it WAS as necessity as it was 20km to the nearest town and no bus or taxi services at all. While I can drive here with no issues, I choose not to, using common sense instead.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Oct 2019 7:15 pm

I think the era of personal ownership of cars in Singapore for most is coming to an end.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 10:49 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019 7:15 pm
I think the era of personal ownership of cars in Singapore for most is coming to an end.
It's lucky we have PMDs then. 8-)

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 11:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019 5:03 pm
Well, I'm of mixed emotions re: family purposes. My children grew up in Seletar Camp which back in the 90s was still pretty ulu and the single bus out of the camp was erratic at best and had to travel to Seletar Hills for the basics & wet market. But the last 8 years I lived there was without a car. My children learned how and both are now married and have their own flats. Neither have cars. My daughter and her husband have two sons (4 yr & 11 mo.) Both work so have a helper as one works downtown and the other work at the farthest reaches of Tuas, but they live in Woodlands. They have never had a car. Doing fine. My son & his wife doesn't have any children yet, but both work, he has his own business down in little India and she works for a radio station as a presenter/disc jockey. Both rely on BMW as well - they live in Teck Whye. I learned long ago and tried to instil in them, that having a car was rediculous in a country like Singapore but where I'm from it WAS as necessity as it was 20km to the nearest town and no bus or taxi services at all. While I can drive here with no issues, I choose not to, using common sense instead.
True enough! Thank you for the great advice! Shall reconsider again with my decision especially with the current on going bad economy now. :D

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 11:54 am

bgd wrote:
Thu, 03 Oct 2019 10:49 am
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019 7:15 pm
It's lucky we have PMDs then. 8-)
However PMDs are causing alot of problem. One moment, hit and die. Another moment, caught in fire. It may be a saving cost transport however also a dangerous transport. TT :-k :-k

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 8:13 pm

joeyy wrote:
Wed, 02 Oct 2019 1:42 pm
Having the consideration of getting a car however.. due to the current market, should I get a new car or used car? Too much consideration to look into. Or renting a car will be much better?

Would like to hear some opinion from you guys. :P :P :P :-k :-k :-k
If you are a ' car guy ' and can afford it - get a car.Renting isn't better in Singapore.If you are here temporarily ,consider leasing.
I know what sundaymorningstaple makes sense but I find owning a car incredibly useful but that's just me :D

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 11:26 am

I guess is always the pros and cons in different situation. Depends how one tink and feels. haha
Will discuss with my fiance, and let him have the final decision. haha for me, is so hard to decide =P~ =P~ =P~

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 04 Oct 2019 6:14 pm

Used car for sure, unless you have money to throw away. I got a 10 year old Hyundai for 25k with a 5 year COE. So even at 5k a year it's really pretty illogical to own a car, but I moved here from Hong Kong where parking would have cost >$1k a month so car ownership was completely out of the question there.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Sat, 05 Oct 2019 11:11 am

A friend recently gave up owning his car and took Grab (literally) everywhere and it still cost half the car lease even before parking, petrol and servicing.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 8:37 am

The Ref wrote:
Sat, 05 Oct 2019 11:11 am
A friend recently gave up owning his car and took Grab (literally) everywhere and it still cost half the car lease even before parking, petrol and servicing.
I bought a new motorbike Andrew (Ref). A red MSX125 (the "Grom"). Runs in nothing and costs nothing in rego and insurance for $3,300. That's the way to do it.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 8:50 am

3,300 total cost on the road? Sounds appealing. But aren't you drenched in sweat after every journey?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Oct 2019 9:21 am

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 8:50 am
3,300 total cost on the road? Sounds appealing. But aren't you drenched in sweat after every journey?
Yes 5 years COE left. Not sweat but rain can be an issue.