Singapore Expats

VISA - EXIT DAY IS COUNTED?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

VISA - EXIT DAY IS COUNTED?

Post by martincymru » Thu, 26 Sep 2019 2:32 pm

90 day stamp (say); exit day is counted as one day?

Is there a consistent "rule", worldwide?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: VISA - EXIT DAY IS COUNTED?

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 Sep 2019 8:48 pm

The day is counted, and yes, that seems to be the case in most places. Can confirm for Thailand as the wife got into hot water with 93 days in a six month period. Telling them she was flying in/out on days didn't work, they still counted them.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 3:35 pm

so if the exit day is counted as "resident" in that exiting country ("A") then when you land, same day, in another country ("B") then can you be legally "resident" in two countries (or more) for the same day? Or am I missing something?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 9:02 pm

I guess you can. I am only relaying a personal experience. Perhaps you can do some research and perform queries with a variety of immigration services. PS: You are not "legally resident". You are visiting. You could visit two places in one day.

Look at it this way: You are an immigration officer. There are 187 people in line. You look up the arrival and departure dates on your calendar. The calendar is designed to give you days in country. The bloke in front of you seems to have exceeded by one day. Do you, as the immigration officer:
  1. Gee, it might be that the gent has arrived very late one day and is leaving very early today, so I won't count the days against him, but let me check to be sure as to what the rules are because maybe we don't count the departure day since he's spent most of it at the airport, even though he is still in country.
  2. Hand him over to the immigration supervisor to let him sort out this crap, because you've just caught someone who has overstayed their visa?

I'll leave it up to you to decide what might happen.

Bottom line: How is it that you're not in the country, when you are at the airport, in the country, when you are departing?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Sat, 28 Sep 2019 4:15 pm

another thought ........ you could therefore be tax resident (>183 days, depending upon jurisdiction ) in 2 countries by virtue of exit and entry being counted twice, so to speak

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Sep 2019 6:40 pm

Yep, play-play and you'll probably get burnt.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 28 Sep 2019 9:40 pm

martincymru wrote:
Sat, 28 Sep 2019 4:15 pm
another thought ........ you could therefore be tax resident (>183 days, depending upon jurisdiction ) in 2 countries by virtue of exit and entry being counted twice, so to speak
No, not really. You are mixing up a tourist visa and a permanent resident visa. For example, you cannot claim tax residency in either Thailand or Singapore without a residence visa. Even if you spend 183 days in Thailand (and I know a couple of folks who have spent more than that), you are not tax resident.