Singapore Expats

Fixed Deposit

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Fixed Deposit

Post by abbby » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:04 am

Does anyone knows which bank offers the highest fixed deposits interest rate for 12 month term?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Fixed Deposit

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 12:58 pm

Maybank is usually around the top. You might be better off buying bank stocks at present (> 4% dividend paid quarterly with DBS at a price of $25).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 3:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 12:58 pm
Maybank is usually around the top. You might be better off buying bank stocks at present (> 4% dividend paid quarterly with DBS at a price of $25).
Sounds exciting...bank stocks are relatively safe bets right? At 4% is really a good deal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 9:45 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 3:19 pm
bank stocks are relatively safe bets right? At 4% is really a good deal.
Bank stocks (or any stocks) are not a "safe bet". With a savings account, unless the bank goes bankrupt, you are guaranteed to have your money returned, plus interest, no matter how little that is.

The stock share price fluctuates with the market and it's price depends on market conditions and what other people are willing to pay for the stock. The stock can go to zero or increase in value.

Over the longer haul, stocks usually increase in value, unless the company goes bust, and if you are in no hurry to get your money back out, then you can ride out the lows, and stocks are a good investment.

But, be clear of two things. First, investing in stocks is not the same as a fixed investment paying a known return. And second, unless you follow the market closely, investing in a single stock is not a good idea for a small player. Instead, if this idea appeals to you, consider an exchange traded fund (ETF) that invests in banks. You buy the ETF, it invests in a bunch of bank stocks, spreading the risk.

For example, here is an ETF that is about 50 percent invested in financial stocks.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EWs?ltr=1

As a rule of thumb, your personal investing plan should include ready cash from a savings account or money market, some say an amount equal to 3 months of your expenses. This is your emergency fund. Then you can invest in stocks without having to worry about selling when the price is low if you have an emergency need for funds.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 24 Sep 2019 9:48 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 9:45 pm
abbby wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 3:19 pm
bank stocks are relatively safe bets right? At 4% is really a good deal.
Bank stocks (or any stocks) are not a "safe bet". With a savings account, unless the bank goes bankrupt, you are guaranteed to have your money returned, plus interest, no matter how little that is.

The stock share price fluctuates with the market and it's price depends on market conditions and what other people are willing to pay for the stock. The stock can go to zero or increase in value.

Over the longer haul, stocks usually increase in value, unless the company goes bust, and if you are in no hurry to get your money back out, then you can ride out the lows, and stocks are a good investment.

But, be clear of two things. First, investing in stocks is not the same as a fixed investment paying a known return. And second, unless you follow the market closely, investing in a single stock is not a good idea for a small player. Instead, if this idea appeals to you, consider an exchange traded fund (ETF) that invests in banks. You buy the ETF, it invests in a bunch of bank stocks, spreading the risk.

For example, here is an ETF that is about 50 percent invested in financial stocks.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EWs?ltr=1

As a rule of thumb, your personal investing plan should include ready cash from a savings account or money market, some say an amount equal to 3 months of your expenses. This is your emergency fund. Then you can invest in stocks without having to worry about selling when the price is low if you have an emergency need for funds.
Thanks Strong Eagle for the expert advice. I was pondering the whole night! And did some googling and seems stocks are somewhat volatile...and I am no expert in this field. Let me take a look at the ETF link. :)

clavie

Post by clavie » Thu, 26 Sep 2019 3:05 pm

Std Chartered has a good 10-month time deposit at 1.8-1.9% depending on how much you put in. The positive thing I've found is that the funds are not 'locked' i.e. in case of emergency you can still withdraw money before the maturity date.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Sep 2019 9:36 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:04 am
Does anyone knows which bank offers the highest fixed deposits interest rate for 12 month term?
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/fixed-deposi ... singapore/

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 11:09 am

clavie wrote:
Thu, 26 Sep 2019 3:05 pm
Std Chartered has a good 10-month time deposit at 1.8-1.9% depending on how much you put in. The positive thing I've found is that the funds are not 'locked' i.e. in case of emergency you can still withdraw money before the maturity date.
Yup...exactly what I like about time deposit, flexibility to withdraw if needed to. Will check Standard chartered out. Thanks!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 11:11 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 26 Sep 2019 9:36 pm
abbby wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:04 am
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/fixed-deposi ... singapore/
Thanks for the link! ICBC looks interesting too at 1.9%...anyone used them before? China bank?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 11:17 am

tic...toc...tic...toc...

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 5:11 pm

You called sir?

Anyway, index tracking ETFs, lowest fee you can find. Long term, nobody can beat the index. End of story.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 5:30 pm

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 5:11 pm
You called sir?

Anyway, index tracking ETFs, lowest fee you can find. Long term, nobody can beat the index. End of story.
ha ha..good joke..no he didnt mean tiktok.. he meant tic toc....there is a difference :wink:

tik.toc

Post by tik.toc » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 6:52 pm

Ok fixed! Lucky it's so damn easy to create an account here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 7:24 pm

That wasn't what singaporeflyer meant. Whenever you see my dark blue post and signed off as moderator that's the only time I'm actually moderating, by the way. We are all ordinary members who were asked many years ago to moderate but when we post we are posting as normal regulars unless we are moderating and we usually sign off as moderator or post in a color, most of us have our own basic color. So, you can go back to your normal account if you so desire.

The tic...toc... is our way of letting a poster know that they are treading on thin ice. In this particular posts case, the link that was removed is owned by the poster and I've know about it since day one. The actual poster is in NYC and had a consultancy there and has a company here in Singapore. He's been tip-toeing around since he got here but his email & ISP and a tiny bit of sleuthing (you probably call it CSI'ing) revealed all. So just waiting for him to start his pitch.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 01 Nov 2019 8:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 7:24 pm
The tic...toc... is our way of letting a poster know that they are treading on thin ice.
That's why I chose this user name. Frankly this tic...toc... business is rather childish and megalomaniacal. On most sites the moderators just say "please remember the rules and be warned you'll be banned if you break them again."
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.