Singapore Expats

Need some advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Pinghelloworld

Need some advice

Post by Pinghelloworld » Sun, 22 Sep 2019 11:48 pm

Hello fellow expat, need some advice on before making my next career decision (film and commercial).

Basically, I've been working in SG for a year and holding on to an EP pass while getting paid 3100SGD per month. There's no performance bonuses, no OT pay and no promised of incremental salary raise.

I'm required to work from 9 to 9/12 and sometimes on Saturday which is close to a 996 scenario. OT pay is substituted by taxi claim.

Therefore, is there any other expats whom are in the similar industry and give me some advice on should I moved on and seek other potential jobs in other countries like UK or Canada? Personally the first year was okay, I just went with it but starting to really feel the burn out by working late everyday and there's no bonus, OT pay and salary increment.

Thanks

shunkwugga

Re: Need some advice

Post by shunkwugga » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 3:40 am

I can't speak to that industry, but I can tell you one I think I learned far too late in life. If you are unhappy figure out why and fix it. There is literally no one else in the world who will or can do it for you. It might be hard, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. Might not always mean changing jobs, sometimes the problem is with yourself, your routine, habits, outlook etc. But it does sound like a pretty unrewarding dead end job. Just remember, a job rewards you with a paycheck. A career rewards you with growth and fulfillment (and a paycheck).
Who is this 'General Failure' and why is he reading my hard drive?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 Sep 2019 8:33 am

The film and video industry is saturated with newcomers and laggards and the pay is always crap for 99% of folk in it. Add on that influencers who work for free and you're in a market that will never get better.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mrjaco

Post by mrjaco » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I have been in Singapore for 3 weeks now. Quick question - I am currently staying at my cousin's HDB flat but will be moving to my own rented place in 2 weeks time. I have been staying at my cousin's place for a week now, first week at hotel.

Do I need to update my residential address in EP Online? I read that in order for the HDB owner to register me as a tenant, a minimum stay period of 6 months is required?

I am moving to my own rented place in another two weeks and not sure if I should update my address in EP Online for now.

joeyy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by joeyy » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 2:51 pm

mrjaco wrote:
Thu, 03 Oct 2019 1:57 pm
Hi all,

I have been in Singapore for 3 weeks now. Quick question - I am currently staying at my cousin's HDB flat but will be moving to my own rented place in 2 weeks time. I have been staying at my cousin's place for a week now, first week at hotel.

Do I need to update my residential address in EP Online? I read that in order for the HDB owner to register me as a tenant, a minimum stay period of 6 months is required?

I am moving to my own rented place in another two weeks and not sure if I should update my address in EP Online for now.
To my knowledge, HDB Owner of your upcoming rented place will need to update you as a tenant, from there you will need to update your residential address in EPOL regardless of how long you are going to stay.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2019 4:40 pm

mrjaco,

Pretty expensive using data from Pakistan if you have been in Singapore for 3 weeks already, isn't it?

ipaddress: 39.36.79.109
netname: PTCLBB-PK
descr: Pakistan Telecommuication company limited
descr: CDDT Building, H-9/1, Room No. 15, Training Block
descr: Islamabad, Pakistan
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers