Singapore Expats

What did you guys bring when relocating? - 2019

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
huatrongkhang

What did you guys bring when relocating? - 2019

Post by huatrongkhang » Sat, 21 Sep 2019 4:47 pm

OP EDITED THIS POST INTO AN AD

Moderator had removed the ad
Last edited by huatrongkhang on Wed, 02 Oct 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: What did you guys bring when relocating? - 2019

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Sep 2019 5:12 pm

I arrived here with a briefcase, one suitcase and a diving helmet. That was 37 years ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 21 Sep 2019 9:50 pm

If someone else is paying for your shipping, then perhaps you'll want bring your stuff over. Otherwise, it can get very expensive. A large home, taking up a full container, can cost $20,000 or more.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 6:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 21 Sep 2019 5:12 pm
I arrived here with a briefcase, one suitcase and a diving helmet. That was 37 years ago.
I think OP is looking for helpful advice, not your wonderful life story.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 8:40 pm

You are starting to really get ridiculous. The point, totally lost on you (which isn't surprising) is that you can come over here with as little as possible and set yourself up a whole lot cheaper than moving it. My advice is more helpful than yours. In fact. I don't think you've given any advice here good or bad since you infected this board.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 23 Sep 2019 10:48 pm

It cost me about 5k to ship half a container of stuff (piano, furniture, boxes etc) from hk to Singapore. Definitely cheaper than buying everything again. Sure moving was a still a nightmare, but we saved a bit of hassle doing it this way.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Tue, 24 Sep 2019 9:57 am

It'll depends on person to person.
I shipped most of my furniture as I have some nice pieces (especially artwork) and to buy it all again here would be a significant cost.
Moving is stress minimal if you get a full service provider.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Sep 2019 3:35 pm

If you are coming here for work. Travel light. If you are planning to immigrate over the long haul, then yeah, maybe bring it all. But lots of stuff doesn't travel too easily and the different atmospheric conditions can play havoc with your goods.

eccqx

Post by eccqx » Mon, 18 Nov 2019 8:56 pm

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 10:48 pm
It cost me about 5k to ship half a container of stuff (piano, furniture, boxes etc) from hk to Singapore. Definitely cheaper than buying everything again. Sure moving was a still a nightmare, but we saved a bit of hassle doing it this way.
hey may I know which relocation company are you using? I'm planning to move early next year from Hong Kong and I'd like to get some tips from you on what to bring/what to buy at Singapore. Thanks in advance

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 19 Nov 2019 10:00 am

The company I used is called Wilcan. Not a big difference in what you can buy here vs HK or the prices. Obviously you'll probably have a bigger place and will need to buy furniture when you arrive anyway. E.g. don't ship bunk beds :)

dianap75

Post by dianap75 » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 4:09 pm

i used m&p when i was shifting to singapore. https://www.mp.com.sg/shipping-from-usa-to-singapore/ i think a freight forwarder really helps. they helped me with documentation, and explained the procedure to me clearly.

as for what to bring.. i was too preoccupied with bringing american snacks over :mrgreen:
oh gum is banned here btw so please do not bring that along.

the wise thing to do would be to compare the prices of relocating here with everything (or most of the things) that you own VS relocating yourself and buying everything here. i would say it is more cost efficient to just bring sentimental items (things that cant be replaced), take a flight here and get everything you need here.