Singapore Expats

question on tax clearance (183 days)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SiewPT

question on tax clearance (183 days)

Post by SiewPT » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have an EP valid for one year, Malaysian.
I came to Singapore on the 13 May 2019.
My last day of employment will be on the 27 September 2019.
Total 138 days, I need 45 days more to reach 183 days.

If my employer is willing to not cancel my EP until 12 November 2019 (183 days), can I avoid the 15% tax rate?

Thank you
Last edited by SiewPT on Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: question on tax clearance (183 days)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:35 pm

You post doesn't make any sense. If your last day of employment is on the 29 of November it's already over the 183 days. They cannot cancel your EP until you have worked your last day. What's the issue?

If you are talking about them filing the IR-21 Tax Clearance, no worries. When it's filed they will state on the IR-21 what your last day of work is as well as when you arrived in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SiewPT

Post by SiewPT » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:35 pm
You post doesn't make any sense. If your last day of employment is on the 29 of November it's already over the 183 days. They cannot cancel your EP until you have worked your last day. What's the issue?

If you are talking about them filing the IR-21 Tax Clearance, no worries. When it's filed they will state on the IR-21 what your last day of work is as well as when you arrived in Singapore.
Sorry, typo, "My last day of employment will be on the 27 September 2019."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 9:27 pm

Are you going to be here till the middle of November? Otherwise, it might not fly as when they do file the IR-21 and it's cross checked with ICA and ICA has you having departed before the date specified on the IR-21, then there is a possibility they will come back to the employer. If that happens, the employer will do whatever is necessary to save their own arses, not yours. You could then possibly be banned from returning to Singapore. Or Charged with Income Tax Evasion. ICA, MOM and IRAS computer databases are all interlinked now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers