Singapore Expats

Should I bring my UK King mattress with me?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
reddevilinsg

Should I bring my UK King mattress with me?

Post by reddevilinsg » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:47 pm

Hi, I'm new here, obviously, but the forum has been a really useful tool to help us prepare as we move to Singapore.

We've kept what we're bringing to quite a minimum - clothes, homely decor and kitchen items, mostly – but were hoping to bring our king-size mattress from London when we move (we like the size and, more importantly, comfort).

We want to rent a fully-furnished place (also explaining why we're not planning to bring too much with us) and wanted to get a sense of whether this is worthwhile. The UK King is similar to a US Queen but it's unclear what's a common size there, and also which style of mattress, given that it appears that the dimensions from various countries are available!

Should we bring it or just try and buy a new one when we're there? (Would rather avoid the cost if possible but if there's no choice...)

Thank you

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Should I bring my UK King mattress with me?

Post by The Ref » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:12 pm

Short answer: No
Long answer - the bed sizes are shorter here (google sizes) so it wont fit unless you buy a UK sized bed, which as you can imagine is much more expensive than a "Singapore" bed

Also, bring far less than you plan to, aspecially kitchen items - eveyone has Ikea furniture for a reason

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:31 pm

Add to that, most Bedrooms are sized accordingly as well, so you will have less space to move around as most closets here are NOT built in. It's also harder to find decent bed linens as well due to the shortness of the mattresses.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

reddevilinsg

Post by reddevilinsg » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for both the answers above.

Is there a standard size that most 1-2bdr condos would come with? From what we've seen online, a lot of the beds aren't "fitted" per se, so a mattress that's leaning over the edges by 10cm or so wouldn't necessarily be horrendous, but it would obviously depend on the size of the base.

I read about it being hard to find good linen too, which was another reason we considered bringing our mattress – we obviously already have linen for it whereas we'd have to try and buy linen from here for an unknown mattress size.

Re: kitchen stuff; we're mostly thinking of bringing the items we use right now (except the microwave, which I assume would come with a furnished flat)

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 9:49 am

If you're willing to ship your mattress and kitchenware, I would also ship the rest of the furniture you require e.g. sofa, dining table, chairs, TV and get a partially furnished condo. It'll be cheaper to rent and easier to find a condo as most are partially furnished e.g. white goods included.
Cost of getting a 20ft container from the UK will be recouped in rental savings in less than a year, you'll have the furniture you chose and like and you can take it with you if you move again.

reddevilinsg

Post by reddevilinsg » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 5:20 pm

When I say kitchenware, I mean crockery and a few items such as our coffee machine and rice cooker – things we would use regardless. The company is shipping what we need so there aren't costs associated, which is why it makes sense to bring this stuff over rather than buy it new.

Unfortunately taking our furniture isn't really an option as we'd be downsizing substantially and I'm not sure our dining table/sofa set would fit into a condo (in fact, I think it wouldn't).

I couldn't figure out if there's a standard bed size in condos though – is there one? Thanks
Last edited by reddevilinsg on Wed, 18 Sep 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 6:04 pm

reddevilinsg wrote:
Wed, 18 Sep 2019 5:20 pm
When I say kitchenware, I mean crockery and a few items such as our coffee machine and rice cooker – things we would use regardless. The company is shipping what we need so there aren't costs associated, which is why it makes sense to bring this stuff over rather than buy it new. If the mattress.
Good that you're getting shipping paid, something less to worry about
reddevilinsg wrote:
Unfortunately taking our furniture isn't really an option as we'd be downsizing substantially and I'm not sure our dining table/sofa set would fit into a condo (in fact, I think it wouldn't).
Have you been on a scouting trip to look at condos to give you an idea of what size you'll be looking at? Condos are far bigger here than in the UK, so don't discount bringing furniture yet.
Go onto pro perty guru dot com dot sg and take a look to see what's available and the sizes.

Sorry clearly not a sponsor of this website so can't type the link.... :roll:
reddevilinsg wrote:
I couldn't figure out if there's a standard bed size in condos though – is there one? Thanks
It's less about the width, but more about the length. Beds here are generally only 190cms so a bit short I would say, so if you're on the taller side you'll need consider that

reddevilinsg

Post by reddevilinsg » Wed, 18 Sep 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks!
Have you been on a scouting trip to look at condos to give you an idea of what size you'll be looking at? condos are far bigger here than in the UK, so don't discount bringing furniture yet.
No scouting trip but we did take a look at the website, which is why we thought we should bring our mattress. If it's 190cm there (and ours is 197cm), then it's only 5cm on either side that would be going over the edge, which isn't a huge problem.

We're coming from a bigger place compared to the condo sized (it seems like we'd get in the range of 550-700sqft depending on where we stay).