Singapore Expats Forum

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun, 27 Jan 2008

Re: salary

Postby MikeDirnt » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:36 am

Jeffery Duncan wrote:Is 5100 dollars Sing a good monthly salary for a manufactureing manager job? Keep in mind I have 2 school age kids. Any advice is appriciated.

i think that is a bit too low for a manager here. but for a start i think its ok
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

johnlocke
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri, 08 Feb 2008

Software marketing salaries

Postby johnlocke » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:50 am

What is the salary range for a 10+ year marketing professional coming over from USA for software marketing job at leading multi-national software company? Specifically, this is a regional product marketing position for all of Asia. I am seeing this average of S$7k per month and that is just not enough to cover everything. I think this will be in the s$150k range. is this enough really for couple + 1 kid? Also, this is local package so what can be expected in terms of bonuses, etc...

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Re: Software marketing salaries

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:03 pm

johnlocke wrote:What is the salary range for a 10+ year marketing professional coming over from USA for software marketing job at leading multi-national software company? Specifically, this is a regional product marketing position for all of Asia. I am seeing this average of S$7k per month and that is just not enough to cover everything. I think this will be in the s$150k range. is this enough really for couple + 1 kid? Also, this is local package so what can be expected in terms of bonuses, etc...

You're got two things mixed up here -- one is how much your company will pay you, and the second is how much you need to live here.

So, for the job and experience you describe, S$7k is (IMHO) not sufficient. However, S$7k/mo translates to only $90k/year, while you're saying $150k?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

negatron
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu, 25 Jan 2007

What to ask for / expect?

Postby negatron » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 8:12 am

Hi all,

I'm currently working in Australia doing Project Management. I've had 5 years experience in project management of industrial projects mostly around the 2 Million mark (with one or two in the 20 million mark)

An ex-employer (multinational engineering firm) has an opening as a regional estimator for their global pulp and paper team and I have applied for it and i think i have a good chance)

My last known pay with this employer 6months ago was $75K AUD package.

By my calculations an equivalent pay would be 90-100k SGD per annum (I have assumed the lower tax rate to be equally compensate for the currency exhange loss)

Do you think a 100k ask is reasonable?

payung1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 14 Feb 2008

SGD80k/year for 10 years experience QS

Postby payung1 » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:07 pm

Is it within average market?

I'm getting RM70/year in Malaysia.

I have 4 school age kids, can I make a decent living in SG if I send my kid to gov school?

liquidnoise
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 26 Feb 2008

Postby liquidnoise » Tue, 26 Feb 2008 4:52 pm

I stumbled on this forum by accident but find it very interesting, so decided to register to share my 1 cent worth of comment.
BTW, I am a singaporean in early 30s. Currently employed by a swiss company as the head of sales for the whole asia pacific including middle east.
For a start, my package is I must say is above my uni mates as well as most people that I know of. But it seems on the low side from what I have seen here.
Whichever the case, for those interested to find out from what I understand for sg fresh engineer. its between S$2.5k ~ $3.2k/month depending on the industry.
Engineers should be the third in ranking for fresh grad pay package. I know coz I started out as an engineer.
Generally, anything above S$100k/year is considered very high in my age standard (Please remember that I started out as an engineer). So from what I see from here alot of you guys should be earning more then ur local counterpart.
From what I understand as well, the "expat" package is starting to change to "semi-expat" or even local term with housing allowance. Perviously, I do understand the full package is very attractive. For sure, the Japanese on the package gets housing, transport and subsidies children education fees.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10357
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: What to ask for / expect?

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Feb 2008 6:54 pm

negatron wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently working in Australia doing Project Management. I've had 5 years experience in project management of industrial projects mostly around the 2 Million mark (with one or two in the 20 million mark)

An ex-employer (multinational engineering firm) has an opening as a regional estimator for their global pulp and paper team and I have applied for it and i think i have a good chance)

My last known pay with this employer 6months ago was $75K AUD package.

By my calculations an equivalent pay would be 90-100k SGD per annum (I have assumed the lower tax rate to be equally compensate for the currency exhange loss)

Do you think a 100k ask is reasonable?


You are in the ballpark. It really depends on a number of things, chiefly your ability to transcend the technical skills of project management. Lots of people who know the process, far fewer who understand the art, the politics, and relationship management required to successfully run a project.

pi-chan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008

Postby pi-chan » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 8:45 pm

Hi @ all

iam looking for a job in Singapore, i have finished university (tax and audit BA) and a 2 years apprenticeship, in the banking sector.
During one and a half year of my studies i was working about 8-10 hours a week for an audit firm.
so iam looking, about which salary to ask (iam dependant pass holder so i was told i can only be employed with up to 1.8k). A job agent told me, that fresh graduates are payed about 1.2 -1.4k and that she thinks she wont find a job, because of the salary and my working experience with 0 years :cry:
Would like to work asap(boring staying at home whole day), and not waiting until i can apply for PR, other problem if we apply for PR and i am only paid with 1.2 k - 1.4k we will have less money net, because of the high payment for rent and health insurance :?
i am quite a bit frustrated atm about that.
greets

verra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

Postby verra » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 2:06 am

Hi!

Could you help me with this info please:

- What average salary, benefits and tax deduction opportunities me and my friends can expect for the following jobs (3-10 years of experience) in Singapore, Airlines/Aviation industry:

Country Manager
Airport Manager
Customer Service Assistant
Sales & Marketing positions

- And ! do these salaries/benefits differ from salaries in other industries (I mean marketing, sales, customer service jobs)?

jen.glw
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun, 23 Mar 2008

Postby jen.glw » Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:37 am

pi-chan wrote:Hi @ all

iam looking for a job in Singapore, i have finished university (tax and audit BA) and a 2 years apprenticeship, in the banking sector.
During one and a half year of my studies i was working about 8-10 hours a week for an audit firm.
so iam looking, about which salary to ask (iam dependant pass holder so i was told i can only be employed with up to 1.8k). A job agent told me, that fresh graduates are payed about 1.2 -1.4k and that she thinks she wont find a job, because of the salary and my working experience with 0 years :cry:
Would like to work asap(boring staying at home whole day), and not waiting until i can apply for PR, other problem if we apply for PR and i am only paid with 1.2 k - 1.4k we will have less money net, because of the high payment for rent and health insurance :?
i am quite a bit frustrated atm about that.
greets


i just saw this website, got jobs for fresh graduates /students.
http://www.jobsdb.com.sg/SG/EN/V6HTML/Home/campus/

you might want to check it out. i think this is the best jobs site in singapore.

Also have entry Level jobs, part time jobs, freelance jobs and internship.

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun, 27 Jan 2008

Re: SGD80k/year for 10 years experience QS

Postby MikeDirnt » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 8:30 pm

payung1 wrote:Is it within average market?

I'm getting RM70/year in Malaysia.

I have 4 school age kids, can I make a decent living in SG if I send my kid to gov school?

with 70k rm is enough if you stay in malaysia. but if you are sending to singapore, it is definitely not sufficient. just my advice. somemore with 4 kids
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

payung1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 14 Feb 2008

Re: SGD80k/year for 10 years experience QS

Postby payung1 » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:12 pm

MikeDirnt wrote:
payung1 wrote:Is it within average market?

I'm getting RM70/year in Malaysia.

I have 4 school age kids, can I make a decent living in SG if I send my kid to gov school?

with 70k rm is enough if you stay in malaysia. but if you are sending to singapore, it is definitely not sufficient. just my advice. somemore with 4 kids


I'm now working in singapore but staying in area near to secondlink, commute using bus to jurong east. At this moment my salary is sgd80k/year, it is sufficiently enough if I stay in malaysia.

I am thinking to stay in singapore, is it enough with my 4 kids? My kids really enjoy their time in johore as we now stay in a very big bungalow, I can't imagine what their life going if staying in apartment

blueshark
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 20 Mar 2007
Location: Global Citizen

Re: SGD80k/year for 10 years experience QS

Postby blueshark » Tue, 13 May 2008 11:14 am

bro, my advice, stay in m'sia.

i would if i were you due to low cost of living.

with ur SGD80k, u can live like a king..almost..compared to 80% of singaporeans..(btw, i am singaporean myself..) and also enjoy the nature available in m'sia.

cheers and good luck. :wink:

payung1 wrote:
MikeDirnt wrote:
payung1 wrote:Is it within average market?

I'm getting RM70/year in Malaysia.

I have 4 school age kids, can I make a decent living in SG if I send my kid to gov school?

with 70k rm is enough if you stay in malaysia. but if you are sending to singapore, it is definitely not sufficient. just my advice. somemore with 4 kids


I'm now working in singapore but staying in area near to secondlink, commute using bus to jurong east. At this moment my salary is sgd80k/year, it is sufficiently enough if I stay in malaysia.

I am thinking to stay in singapore, is it enough with my 4 kids? My kids really enjoy their time in johore as we now stay in a very big bungalow, I can't imagine what their life going if staying in apartment

BLURAY
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

salary rate for marine engr.

Postby BLURAY » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 7:32 pm

I have been offered a marine engineer job for 3500 pm. I wanted to know the salary rate or marine engineer in Singapore and is it enough for a family of 3( no school going kid) for a decent living.

nyaowei
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun, 15 Jun 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: salary rate for marine engr.

Postby nyaowei » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:03 pm

BLURAY wrote:I have been offered a marine engineer job for 3500 pm. I wanted to know the salary rate or marine engineer in Singapore and is it enough for a family of 3( no school going kid) for a decent living.


Sounds alittle low. Would housing be included? It it is then the level is decent.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests