Singapore Expats Forum

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby KittyJules76 » Fri, 07 May 2010 11:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How do you justify bringing a Bangladeshi welder to a shipyard and paying him 700/mo and bringing over a welder from the UK to do the same exact job in the same exact shipyard and paying him in excess of 8K/month? Both are tradespersons and not academically advanced, but work with their hands. Why is it done? Because the can and the Bangladeshi wants a job. Or the Burmese wants a job.


Well I have learned from my previous company here in Singapore(Construction company) that most Bangladeshi will happy enough with 700/mo. The only sad part is they take out advance salary way before the pay day and at the end left with a few dollars.
The thing is SGD 700 can turn into Rupee 22,000. SGD 1800 can turn into Ks 120.6k (In Myanmar currency). Of course in our country the minimum basic salary of a blue collar worker is Ks 20,000 or even below. So our imagination goes beyond if we can earn 60 times better than this.
I know almost anyone in here have better job, better offer and better salary than us. Most of you all have come from a place where English is widely use, graduate from good schools/Uni only we can dream of, have enough exposure to be able to work in any country and plus a living standard way better than us. Well there's the difference. So while a Myanmar or Bangladeshi gladly take a job with 700/mo, no wonder a UK expat cannot.

samuel.faith
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed, 12 Dec 2007

Postby samuel.faith » Fri, 07 May 2010 12:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
The reality I was speaking of has actually nothing at all to do with what I think they deserve or their language capabilities, but more to do with where they come from. Their language capability will stop them from getting a job at all if the company cannot see how to use them effectively though.


Truth be told, I see there is no reason for an employee to advance in his career if he doesn't satisfy the most basic requirement: communication skills.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:but the owner knows that Burmese market rates are no more than 1.8K to start and generally that doesn't move too much unless they manage to secure PR... ... ... I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is here and the damned agents here know that as well. Local Singaporean bosses are well known for extracting the very last ounce of blood from a person before discarding them.


The market is already been ruined. The problem is many Burmese are not reluctant to accept a job that offers way below standard rate, regardless of position or whatever employment law dictates. Can't really blame them since it's just like KittyJules mention somewhere here, even 1k salary is like 700k+ back home.

Yet most of them don't have bargaining power simply because of their lack of oversea exposure, sufficient working experience and again, the language barrier. Honestly speaking, most of them coming out to work have families to support back home and so they take whatever jobs they can get. And like you said, Singaporean bosses know that very well, and they won't hesitate to exploit the situation.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why is it done? Because they can and the Bangladeshi wants a job. Or the Burmese wants a job.


Enough said, SMS. That's the situation. But minority of them with real potentials and talents being affected is a sad situation too.

laung
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed, 12 May 2010
Location: USA

opportunity???

Postby laung » Wed, 12 May 2010 2:12 am

Hi,

I am a Burmese national, went to International School in Burma and came to US 9 years ago for my bachelors and masters in accounting/finance, graduated from top 10 business school in US. Have one year experience in investment banking in New York and currently at Big 4 Accounting firm.

US is too far from Burma where all my friends, relatives and parents are. Singapore is a closer destination to Burma. Thus, I am thinking to move there.

Any opportunity in Singapore with my background? Looking in the financial services industry. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

laung
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed, 12 May 2010
Location: USA

To Add

Postby laung » Wed, 12 May 2010 2:22 am

Just wanted to add that I am also a CPA in US.

I have read some thread in which Burmese are underpaid. I hope that would not be the case. I want to go to Singapore because its closer to home. And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: To Add

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 12 May 2010 5:56 am

laung wrote:Just wanted to add that I am also a CPA in US.

I have read some thread in which Burmese are underpaid. I hope that would not be the case. I want to go to Singapore because its closer to home. And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.


You should read this and make your own judgement. This was taken out from a circulation.
[color=blue]Singapore almost doubled the rate it grants citizenship and permanent residence in the past five years to counter a falling birth rate, and let firms bring in thousands to work at hotels, shipyards and restaurants. The move saw foreigners make up one in every three people. The government plans to slow the inflow to avoid being “overwhelmed,”
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

laung
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed, 12 May 2010
Location: USA

Postby laung » Wed, 12 May 2010 7:17 am

Thanks mad scientist for your input, I will keep that in mind.

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: To Add

Postby KittyJules76 » Wed, 12 May 2010 4:50 pm

laung wrote:And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.


Seriously!!! :roll:

laung
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed, 12 May 2010
Location: USA

Re: To Add

Postby laung » Thu, 13 May 2010 5:29 am

KittyJules76 wrote:
laung wrote:And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.


Seriously!!! :roll:


Yes, anythinng wrong? The top 1% of Burmese who are wealthy are making all the money through their illegal business dealings with the government while the rest of the population are poor. When I see people in Burma living in harsh conditions, it is ethically and morally wrong for me. Thus, eventhough I make little money being abroad, I feel better about myself.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: To Add

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:13 am

laung wrote:
KittyJules76 wrote:
laung wrote:And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.


Seriously!!! :roll:


Yes, anythinng wrong? The top 1% of Burmese who are wealthy are making all the money through their illegal business dealings with the government while the rest of the population are poor. When I see people in Burma living in harsh conditions, it is ethically and morally wrong for me. Thus, eventhough I make little money being abroad, I feel better about myself.


Laung

Some people does not have this moral standing in life or never been to your country or understand what is going on.
Making one word statement does not deserve a reply
I know as I have been there. Let it rest
Concentrate on your target of coming here and work that is your ultimate goal

:)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: To Add

Postby KittyJules76 » Thu, 13 May 2010 1:12 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
laung wrote:
KittyJules76 wrote:
laung wrote:And I am not ready to go back to Burma to do business since I do not think I can see myself making all the money while seeing the rest of the population suffer.


Seriously!!! :roll:


Yes, anythinng wrong? The top 1% of Burmese who are wealthy are making all the money through their illegal business dealings with the government while the rest of the population are poor. When I see people in Burma living in harsh conditions, it is ethically and morally wrong for me. Thus, eventhough I make little money being abroad, I feel better about myself.


Laung

Some people does not have this moral standing in life or never been to your country or understand what is going on.
Making one word statement does not deserve a reply
I know as I have been there. Let it rest
Concentrate on your target of coming here and work that is your ultimate goal

:)


For crying out loud. I am from the same country as Laung. I been here(SG) only 2.5 years. Went back 3 times a year. All my life spend in my country so no need to be sarcastic.
Laung sorry but I think differently. People left from their country for a reason. No matter how much we think it's morally or emotionally or whatever we feel wrong, it's not enough. In the end, in reality, we just saving ourselves. We know those ppl are poor but do we really care? The little money you are talking about is measure on what standard(US standard). I am sure your money is 50 or 60 times more in our currency. It's a guilt, we are just feeling guilty.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: To Add

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 13 May 2010 3:06 pm

KittyJules76 wrote:For crying out loud. I am from the same country as Laung. I been here(SG) only 2.5 years. Went back 3 times a year. All my life spend in my country so no need to be sarcastic.
Laung sorry but I think differently. People left from their country for a reason. No matter how much we think it's morally or emotionally or whatever we feel wrong, it's not enough. In the end, in reality, we just saving ourselves. We know those ppl are poor but do we really care? The little money you are talking about is measure on what standard(US standard). I am sure your money is 50 or 60 times more in our currency. It's a guilt, we are just feeling guilty.


I think you should think b4 making such remark initially. I was trying to help the OP on her inquiry and you came and giving a one word remark ? HELLLOOOOOO who is being sarcastic here ???? Hmm........
The OP was offended by your remark so was I which is uncalled for. Knowing full well where she is from there and so were you which really baffles me. Who cares how or what you think but you should be more understanding on someone thread and to your own fellow countrymen .

If you cannot help , just keep to yourself rather making a fool of yourself.
:x :x
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

KittyJules76
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed, 28 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: To Add

Postby KittyJules76 » Thu, 13 May 2010 4:20 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I think you should think b4 making such remark initially. I was trying to help the OP on her inquiry and you came and giving a one word remark ? HELLLOOOOOO who is being sarcastic here ???? Hmm........
The OP was offended by your remark so was I which is uncalled for. Knowing full well where she is from there and so were you which really baffles me. Who cares how or what you think but you should be more understanding on someone thread and to your own fellow countrymen .

If you cannot help , just keep to yourself rather making a fool of yourself.
:x :x


Thought this is a place where you can say anything if you dont agree. If she doesnt like it, she will reply which she did and I just replied to her. Besides my remark is not on her inquiry if you read it carefully you will see it.

Anyway, if you want you are welcome to continue to dance around our posts. :)

My apologies to topic starter for all the irrelevant posts.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue, 27 Apr 2010
Location: East Coast

Updated Salary Review - quite comprehensive

Postby richie303 » Wed, 26 May 2010 8:46 pm

Here's an up to date survey I have been sent in regards to Salary survey. Things seem to be improving?

http://www.robertwalters.com/salarysurvey

Cheers

Richie
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

mrnutz
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue, 15 Jun 2010

Re: salary of an Engineer

Postby mrnutz » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 1:25 pm

aiyasing wrote:May i know what is the salary of a computer science engineer at entry level




same question , i am also asking. Last time after i finish undergrad, got 2.5k, feels it's normal. but then realize they nvr give me 13th month and bonus at all, feel so cheated. Now after 5 years raise up to 4k, but with my postgrad degree, expecting more than that. Should i bargain?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34145
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: salary of an Engineer

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 1:47 pm

mrnutz wrote:
aiyasing wrote:May i know what is the salary of a computer science engineer at entry level




same question , i am also asking. Last time after i finish undergrad, got 2.5k, feels it's normal. but then realize they nvr give me 13th month and bonus at all, feel so cheated. Now after 5 years raise up to 4k, but with my postgrad degree, expecting more than that. Should i bargain?


Did you bother to read your initial contract? If there was no provision for bonus in the contract you don't have a gripe. You signed it voluntarily. :roll:

More and more companies here are doing away with the 13th month/AWS. Now, if you get a bonus, it is completely discretionary and not a requirement. Actually, it's never been a requirement by law here, only by practice and as I said, that practice is changing so don't feel to done by as you are not alone.

Bargain? Sure, why not. Course you might bargain yourself out of a position, but that's a gamble you have to take. Just remember, there will be somebody right behind you waiting to scoop you on the position just because he is a little hungrier. :wink: Like I always said, "I was looking for a job when I came here, and I'll be looking for a job when I leave." The only thing that changes is the date on the calendar and the lines on your brow.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest