Singapore Expats Forum

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Re: Avg. salary in IT

Postby blue_thunder » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 1:44 pm

r2r wrote:Hello there,

I'm from India and I want to know what is the average salary for a person with 5 years experience in Application Support? Right now, I'm working in an MNC in India and getting 3 lakhs rupees per annum. I got an offer from a co. in Singapore and I want to know what would be salary I should be asking for the offer. Is it okay if I ask for 6000-7000 Singapore $ per month? Are there any other packages I should be asking for? I'm married with a 3 yr old kid. I wont be getting them in Singapore soon. Normally, will the co. provide housing allowance and kids school fees seperately? And what would be the average monthly expense if I'm staying single there? Occasional eating out, no smoking, no drinks. And how much can one expect to save monthly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards


@r2r
Well it depends on the company which is recruiting you.
Normally for a 5 yr exp person, they would provide 5-6K per month .
if you are on a permanent role of the company then you can ask for bonus or 13th month salary which will be paid at the end of the yr.
Finally the medical/hospitalization coverage for ur family.
Avg monthly expenses for a family would be 3-4K per month..for a single with no drinkin/smoking u can live off with 1-1.5 K per month.
hope ths helps.

Cheers
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

r2r
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon, 03 Nov 2008
Location: India

Re: Avg. salary in IT

Postby r2r » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 3:26 pm

Hello blue_thunder,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Well, the co. is a banking major in the EU and it's for a permanent role.

blue_thunder wrote:
r2r wrote:Hello there,

I'm from India and I want to know what is the average salary for a person with 5 years experience in Application Support? Right now, I'm working in an MNC in India and getting 3 lakhs rupees per annum. I got an offer from a co. in Singapore and I want to know what would be salary I should be asking for the offer. Is it okay if I ask for 6000-7000 Singapore $ per month? Are there any other packages I should be asking for? I'm married with a 3 yr old kid. I wont be getting them in Singapore soon. Normally, will the co. provide housing allowance and kids school fees seperately? And what would be the average monthly expense if I'm staying single there? Occasional eating out, no smoking, no drinks. And how much can one expect to save monthly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards


@r2r
Well it depends on the company which is recruiting you.
Normally for a 5 yr exp person, they would provide 5-6K per month .
if you are on a permanent role of the company then you can ask for bonus or 13th month salary which will be paid at the end of the yr.
Finally the medical/hospitalization coverage for ur family.
Avg monthly expenses for a family would be 3-4K per month..for a single with no drinkin/smoking u can live off with 1-1.5 K per month.
hope ths helps.

Cheers

r2r
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon, 03 Nov 2008
Location: India

Re: Avg. salary in IT

Postby r2r » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 3:27 pm

Hello blue_thunder,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Well, the co. is a banking major in the EU and it's for a permanent role.

blue_thunder wrote:
r2r wrote:Hello there,

I'm from India and I want to know what is the average salary for a person with 5 years experience in Application Support? Right now, I'm working in an MNC in India and getting 3 lakhs rupees per annum. I got an offer from a co. in Singapore and I want to know what would be salary I should be asking for the offer. Is it okay if I ask for 6000-7000 Singapore $ per month? Are there any other packages I should be asking for? I'm married with a 3 yr old kid. I wont be getting them in Singapore soon. Normally, will the co. provide housing allowance and kids school fees seperately? And what would be the average monthly expense if I'm staying single there? Occasional eating out, no smoking, no drinks. And how much can one expect to save monthly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards


@r2r
Well it depends on the company which is recruiting you.
Normally for a 5 yr exp person, they would provide 5-6K per month .
if you are on a permanent role of the company then you can ask for bonus or 13th month salary which will be paid at the end of the yr.
Finally the medical/hospitalization coverage for ur family.
Avg monthly expenses for a family would be 3-4K per month..for a single with no drinkin/smoking u can live off with 1-1.5 K per month.
hope ths helps.

Cheers

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Re: Avg. salary in IT

Postby blue_thunder » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 3:41 pm

r2r wrote:Hello blue_thunder,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. Well, the co. is a banking major in the EU and it's for a permanent role.

blue_thunder wrote:
r2r wrote:Hello there,

I'm from India and I want to know what is the average salary for a person with 5 years experience in Application Support? Right now, I'm working in an MNC in India and getting 3 lakhs rupees per annum. I got an offer from a co. in Singapore and I want to know what would be salary I should be asking for the offer. Is it okay if I ask for 6000-7000 Singapore $ per month? Are there any other packages I should be asking for? I'm married with a 3 yr old kid. I wont be getting them in Singapore soon. Normally, will the co. provide housing allowance and kids school fees seperately? And what would be the average monthly expense if I'm staying single there? Occasional eating out, no smoking, no drinks. And how much can one expect to save monthly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards


@r2r
Well it depends on the company which is recruiting you.
Normally for a 5 yr exp person, they would provide 5-6K per month .
if you are on a permanent role of the company then you can ask for bonus or 13th month salary which will be paid at the end of the yr.
Finally the medical/hospitalization coverage for ur family.
Avg monthly expenses for a family would be 3-4K per month..for a single with no drinkin/smoking u can live off with 1-1.5 K per month.
hope ths helps.

Cheers


If its a permanent role with the bank you can expect 7k+ or if its a permanent role with the consultancy who places you in the bank then you can get between 5-6K.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Freebird
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 13 Nov 2008

Re: Expat package? Which year are we in?

Postby Freebird » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 2:45 am

rchdk wrote:
Hesione wrote:Most caucasians in Singapore tend to refer to themselves as expats. However, 99.9% of them are on local salaries.

There is hardly any caucasian here still on the expat package, which would include housing, kids' school fees, first class tickets to their country of origin for the entire family annually etc. So please, please, please stop referring to yourselves as expats. It is "inward/reverse racism". I feel really sad for you.

Sorry to say but you are actually wrong here. Maybe there are not as many as there use to be but there are still a significant numbers of caucasians on "expat terms" out here. Contracts with terms similar to local contracts are however more and more comon. Besides that, an expat is actually just someone who lives/settled down in a foreign country so yes maid, workers and so on are also expats just not on "expat terms" as you describe them.

Our government opened up the doors to you as "foreign talents(?)" to make us more competitive, many of you have not been expatriated by the companies that you work for from your country of origin; you came here looking for a job.

99.9% of all caucasians I know have been sent here by their company in their respective home countries on time limited contracts. Maybe that does not go for some of the people using this message board but guess thats why they are using this board in the first place...

I am earning over $120,000 annually (after tax and after my portion of the CPF deduction) working in the advertising industry, earning far more than double what my "foreign talent" partner earns. That should give most of you an indication as to whether your pay package is good enough for you to want to be in Singapore.

Well lucky you....


I like an objective comments like this.
The Greatest Glory in Living is not Never Falling, but Rising When we are Falling.

tinay
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri, 06 Feb 2009
Location: Manila, Phils

Postby tinay » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 8:28 pm

Hi,

I always receive calls from consulting company there in singapore. I am a SAP FICO Consultant working in manila with 6 solid SAP FICO years and 3 end to end implementations. Whenever I say SGD7k these indian employers would remark that my expected salary is too much. Is this true? How much should I ask given my qualifications?

Thanks a lot in advance.

User avatar
ANCOLL
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu, 12 Feb 2009

Postby ANCOLL » Tue, 17 Feb 2009 1:02 am

This is a nice sticky thread
I would like to know the average salary for 5 years experience teacher / tutor in Singapore..
can anyone give information?
thanks in advance.. :)
ANCOLLLL.................

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:44 am

We generally have an aversion to answering posters who post willy-nilly all over the place with the same basic questions. :roll:

Course, nobody is forcing you to stay here are they? You take what you can get out of it. If it's not enough, you move on. Simple really.

chloegemma
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby chloegemma » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks to all for the info

bharath2708
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat, 21 Mar 2009
Location: india

please advice on my average salary

Postby bharath2708 » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:03 am

Hello All,

i have 3.3 years of work experience in a software major in india with expertise in IT services of a financial product. I am currently earning 3.8 lakhs INR.

i have got an offer from a consultancy, through which i got into the job position with credit suisse. The bond between consultany and credit suisse for my position is 'indefinite' it seems. This is what consultant told me. They are offering me 4.4 k singapore dollars.

i would like to know whether the salary is fine to take up the offer, since i do not know about how the expenses will be in singapore for a single person........ and also about the job security and work culture in credit suisse.

kindly advice me on the above quesions....

dingdong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 22 Mar 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: please advice on my average salary

Postby dingdong » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 8:00 pm

bharath2708 wrote:Hello All,

i have 3.3 years of work experience in a software major in india with expertise in IT services of a financial product. I am currently earning 3.8 lakhs INR.

i have got an offer from a consultancy, through which i got into the job position with credit suisse. The bond between consultany and credit suisse for my position is 'indefinite' it seems. This is what consultant told me. They are offering me 4.4 k singapore dollars.

i would like to know whether the salary is fine to take up the offer, since i do not know about how the expenses will be in singapore for a single person........ and also about the job security and work culture in credit suisse.

kindly advice me on the above quesions....


hmmm, don't know abt credit suisse, no comments

4.4k is within range of 4k ~ 6k, so seems ok for an engineer with 3.3 years of work experience.

rental is around 500~2000 (single room around 500, a small condo unit aound 2000)
meals around 450, (15 dollars/day)
leisure, depends, mine is around 500
car around 1200, if you need it

so ur salary is enough if you don't need to save ;)

Professional Bohemian
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed, 22 Apr 2009

Postby Professional Bohemian » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:59 am

My girlfriend is possibly going to be offered the position of a full time lecturer at a university in Singapore. They are currently asking how much she expects to earn per year. We currently live in the USA. She is American and I am British.

She has 4 years professional experience and has a BA. Approximately how much should she be asking for per annum?

Thanks!

ankit1407
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2009

Re: please advice on my average salary

Postby ankit1407 » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 5:12 pm

dingdong wrote:
bharath2708 wrote:Hello All,

i have 3.3 years of work experience in a software major in india with expertise in IT services of a financial product. I am currently earning 3.8 lakhs INR.

i have got an offer from a consultancy, through which i got into the job position with credit suisse. The bond between consultany and credit suisse for my position is 'indefinite' it seems. This is what consultant told me. They are offering me 4.4 k singapore dollars.

i would like to know whether the salary is fine to take up the offer, since i do not know about how the expenses will be in singapore for a single person........ and also about the job security and work culture in credit suisse.

kindly advice me on the above quesions....


hmmm, don't know abt credit suisse, no comments

4.4k is within range of 4k ~ 6k, so seems ok for an engineer with 3.3 years of work experience.

rental is around 500~2000 (single room around 500, a small condo unit aound 2000)
meals around 450, (15 dollars/day)
leisure, depends, mine is around 500
car around 1200, if you need it

so ur salary is enough if you don't need to save ;)


seems like we are in the same boat..i have been offered around 4800 SGD per month and its with credit suisse again thru some consultant..just wanted to check is it worth going for such job (leaving 6 Lkh Annum job in India). Am recently maiied so we are a family of 2 with occasional visits from parents..Pls advice..
sorry forgot to add i have 5 yrs of exp with an MNC in india on Microsoft Tech

User avatar
lore
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat, 28 Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby lore » Wed, 06 May 2009 10:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We generally have an aversion to answering posters who post willy-nilly all over the place with the same basic questions. :roll:

Course, nobody is forcing you to stay here are they? You take what you can get out of it. If it's not enough, you move on. Simple really.


*Banging tables. LMAO

Luci@
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 15 May 2009

Postby Luci@ » Fri, 15 May 2009 11:34 am

Professional Bohemian wrote:My girlfriend is possibly going to be offered the position of a full time lecturer at a university in Singapore. They are currently asking how much she expects to earn per year. We currently live in the USA. She is American and I am British.

She has 4 years professional experience and has a BA. Approximately how much should she be asking for per annum?

Thanks!



Hi! Congrats to your girlfriend! I am an American and would like to eventually apply for a professor position in Singapore. Could you please detail a bit her experience (in general but also teaching). This perhaps would also help with suggesting a quote.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests