Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:42 pm

carpuff wrote:How about for a 2-year Linux Engineer?
What's a Linux 'engineer'?

zarro1

Post by zarro1 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:39 pm

Average salary in singapore is around 4K if im not wrong but its not bad at all!. :D
Last edited by zarro1 on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarro1

Post by zarro1 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:41 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
System engineer (often also system administrator) is responsible for the smooth operation and maintenance of the computer system. This means configuring devices, checking logs for errors, adding users, clearing caches and temporary areas, applying patches and updates, and most important of all: knowing and documenting how all these things are done.

Hope it helps!! :D

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:48 pm

zarro1: Average household income is S$5.4k.
S$3k is a bit on the low side. Due to the high cost of living, it won't be comfortable if you have a family.

P.S.: The moderator will remove your outrageously commercial signature, which is against forum rules. I hope this was not the main point of your posting ...
Last edited by beppi on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarro1

Post by zarro1 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:49 pm

IndianCA wrote:Hey guys,

Can you suggest what should be pay package of a 4 years experience Chartered Acountant from India in Compliance role in Bank at Singapore.

Thanks,
easily 12k to 15k 6month i think!
you can earn a fortune with private practicing.
Last edited by zarro1 on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:53 pm

zarro1 : Stop posting bullshit - an accountant with 4 years experience cannot even get half of what you claim!
(And foreigners cannot freelance, which I suppose is what you mean by "private practise".)
If I were the moderator, I would ban you now for SPAMming the forum with nonsense only to place a stupid ad in the signature.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 7:01 pm

It is very unusual to state salaries in 6-months-sum. But in that case, the 4-year accountant in question can get more than double of what you claim. And your commercial ad signature is still against forum rules, even if you make it smaller. Please remove the link!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 8:09 pm

zarro1 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
System engineer (often also system administrator) is responsible for the smooth operation and maintenance of the computer system. This means configuring devices, checking logs for errors, adding users, clearing caches and temporary areas, applying patches and updates, and most important of all: knowing and documenting how all these things are done.

Hope it helps!! :D
That sounds a lot more like a computer operator/sys admin.

I hold a degree in electrical engineering and I am ABET certified. Being a real engineer means at least four years of intensive advanced mathematics and engineering design courses.

It is a bastardization of the term to call someone a software 'engineer' or a Linux 'engineer' when they are programmers and admins.

Hope it helps.

CJO

Post by CJO » Thu, 10 Nov 2011 5:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:It is a bastardization of the term to call someone a software 'engineer' or a Linux 'engineer' when they are programmers and admins.

Hope it helps.
There are some who would say you can't call yourself an engineer unless you hold a PE :)

CJ

JennyY

Post by JennyY » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 4:42 pm

A diploma in business administration holder, studied in private school,is the salary lower than those in government school with diploma?
-JeNn-

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 6:52 pm

CJO wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It is a bastardization of the term to call someone a software 'engineer' or a Linux 'engineer' when they are programmers and admins.

Hope it helps.
There are some who would say you can't call yourself an engineer unless you hold a PE :)

CJ
True - and it can be a real challenge to get a PE with an electrical engineering degree... just not the same impetus as other fields.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 7:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
CJO wrote:

Hope it helps.

CJ
True - and it can be a real challenge to get a PE with an electrical engineering degree... just not the same impetus as other fields.
As a software engineer, some conversations go like this:

A: "So, what do you do?"
Me: "I'm a code monkey."

...I miss being on the strategy side of development. :(
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BnJoe

Post by BnJoe » Wed, 23 Nov 2011 2:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
CJO wrote:

Hope it helps.

CJ
Your post got me interested, since I'm considering working in Singapore. I've had a look at the PEB website, and I find their guidelines... interesting, to say the least. Does anyone have experience with this? They list only 6 engineering institutions in Germany (and we are very proud of our engineering disciplines here ;-)) that would be approved degree holders. How realistic are other university degree holders to be able to join this PE certification?

Is the PE certification considered a big plus in Singapore for a job application? I have no experience with such a membership, since in Germany there is no such comparable scheme, engineer is engineer.

I hold a Dipl.-Ing. degree (which has been replaced by the Master of Engineering degree within recent years) in Electrical Engineering.

radiohed

Chemical engineer holding a PhD from a US institution

Post by radiohed » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 2:49 pm

How much can a chemical engineer who holds a PhD from a top-10 US institution expect to make per month?

3 years experience as a research/process engineer in the semiconductor industry.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 3:37 pm

Here's a start. Going through this particular thread has a lot of resources listed. Granted it's long but there's nuggets amongst the chaff here......

http://content.yudu.com/A1qzb3/WaltersS ... urvey.html

While it's isn't directly specific to your occupational code, it's probably indicative of what you are looking at.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers