Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
mrnutz

Re: salary of an Engineer

Post by mrnutz » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 2:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
mrnutz wrote:
aiyasing wrote:May i know what is the salary of a computer science engineer at entry level

same question , i am also asking. Last time after i finish undergrad, got 2.5k, feels it's normal. but then realize they nvr give me 13th month and bonus at all, feel so cheated. Now after 5 years raise up to 4k, but with my postgrad degree, expecting more than that. Should i bargain?
Did you bother to read your initial contract? If there was no provision for bonus in the contract you don't have a gripe. You signed it voluntarily. :roll:

More and more companies here are doing away with the 13th month/AWS. Now, if you get a bonus, it is completely discretionary and not a requirement. Actually, it's never been a requirement by law here, only by practice and as I said, that practice is changing so don't feel to done by as you are not alone.

Bargain? Sure, why not. Course you might bargain yourself out of a position, but that's a gamble you have to take. Just remember, there will be somebody right behind you waiting to scoop you on the position just because he is a little hungrier. :wink: Like I always said, "I was looking for a job when I came here, and I'll be looking for a job when I leave." The only thing that changes is the date on the calendar and the lines on your brow.

thanks moderator for the reply. You're absolutely right, should gamble. afterall it will make us feel happier if working without the thought of underpaid. I dont know is it really underpaid , coz some report from jobstreet seems reflect that it's not underpaid, but other reports are all damn high end one. Really wonder who they actually survey to make such reports.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 3:55 pm

As one who spent a number of years as a engineering headhunter, let me give you some advice. The figures quoted in the various Salary Guidelines as published by some of the headhunting firms are as much as 20% or more overstated. Why? Because if enough people believe that, then if they can somehow negotiate it, there are two winners. The job seeker AND the recruitment consultant who's commission is directly related as a percentage of the per annum salary of the successful candidate. But unfortunately, with the exception of a select few, most of the position's ranges are all the upper end of the ballpark and definitely not the median salary.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kumkat

Post by kumkat » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 9:10 pm

Dear all,

I found today this great forum and I would like to get some advises.
I am French, currently working and living in Germany with my Indonesian wife and 2 children. (One of the children is still baby and don't need any school)
There is an opened position in my company as director for a solutions engineering centre, not as an expat but with local contract. This position is also opened for non-resident.
I decided to apply and I passed already 2 interviews successfully. I am going further into discussions and have been asked to propose my conditions.

As I already mentioned the job is "director solution engineering centre" for the whole ASEAN. The team has to work on automation projects for our customers from the whole industry. It is a new department in Singapore with currently 13 project engineers and business drivers.
And next year the team will extend to 25-30 persons.

Some of the main tasks are:

To design the organisational and strategic development

To coordinate the planning and targets for sales and profitability in ASEAN in cooperation with General Managers, Regional Management and local technical directors,

To lead the department (~25pers.) and drive it towards target achievement,

To set the goals, sales and profit planning,

Support the top projects and cooperation with big accounts worldwide, (Ex: switch customer’s machine production from US - Europe to one of the ASEAN countries)

Frequent travelling in the whole ASEAN and Germany

Report to the CEO Asia/Pacific

Today I earn a gross salary in Germany about 70.000 euro p.a., which is about S$120K p.a.
I am engineer with 10 years experience, I speak French, German, English, Spanish fluently and some Indonesian basics.

I would have like to ask your opinion about what salary could I pretend to?
At first I was thinking about proposing around S$150kp.a. for this position. But after checking some posts here in this forum, I got the feeling that it could be more.
Maybe S$250kp.a would be more adequate. I would be glad if I could be advised by people here.

Thanks

rustangel

average salary

Post by rustangel » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 2:42 am

I will be moving to Singapore soon and have 11 years exp in Supply chain ranging from operations to logistics to planning with 4 different MNC's in Dubai. What is the average salary I should expect in Singapore with this profile? thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 6:59 am

Use some of the links salary surveys posted in these threads. They would be a reasonably accurate guage (maybe up to 15% on the high side though depending on the age of the survey).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

miniva

Post by miniva » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 2:36 am

Salary range for a regional supply chain manager on a a local contract is btw SGD 90K-120K gross.

duchanh_vu

Post by duchanh_vu » Wed, 04 Aug 2010 2:06 pm

I also want to work in Singapore for few years and start looking for a job there from Vietnam. But it seems be very difficult. I find most openning jobs are posted by HR consultants. IS it normal over there?

Do I have less opportunity if I stay in Vietnam and apply for a job in Singpore?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 5:12 pm

bensonbarton wrote:one of my friends, he has 2 years working experience, but he just grab 3500..
Please don't spam..

adione
Regular
Regular

Post by adione » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:22 am

Oxo

Post by Oxo » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 2:35 pm

adione wrote:Some more numbers from MOM:

http://www.salary.sg/2010/top-100-jobs- ... pore-2010/
Thanks, that was quite useful for me :).
Just to make sure I maximise my annoyingness what should I be asking for?

Please do not post CV's in the Forum. Please read the stickies before posting here. Thanks,

mint27

germany to Singapore

Post by mint27 » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 2:59 pm

dear all, i m currently working in germany with 4000€/month and was offered a position in Singapore with 5500sgd/month by my company on a pure local contract (company can pay for the transfer but no allowance on housing, ect.).
I m single and 31. Should I come?

sachindere

Re: germany to Singapore

Post by sachindere » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 5:14 pm

mint27 wrote:dear all, i m currently working in germany with 4000€/month and was offered a position in Singapore with 5500sgd/month by my company on a pure local contract (company can pay for the transfer but no allowance on housing, ect.).
yes you should. 5500 SGD is quite high for Single person. I will be moving to spore this week with the same sal

mint27

Re: germany to Singapore

Post by mint27 » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 9:13 pm

sachindere wrote:
mint27 wrote:dear all, i m currently working in germany with 4000€/month and was offered a position in Singapore with 5500sgd/month by my company on a pure local contract (company can pay for the transfer but no allowance on housing, ect.).
yes you should. 5500 SGD is quite high for Single person. I will be moving to Singapore this week with the same sal
what kind of housing will u have in Singapore? i heard with this kind of money i cannot afford an appartment for my own. is it true?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:23 pm

Let's put it differently. The median household salary in Singapore is around S$5000/month (this is usually with two working adults). So surely, a single person should be able to do it as the expenses, while not halved, would be considerably less.

qqrice

Post by qqrice » Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:52 am

Hi all,

I am new here. I have been reading through your post but can not find the answer to my question. I have been looking on singstat and MOM website but can not find the answer. I have final interview for Academic Adviser/Counselor position and would like to know how much is the average salary for such position.

I have a degree and worked in this field for 1 year. Thank you for your answer.