Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jul 2012 7:55 pm

I had hoped that his answer was understood as I had already given him the approx HDB Room rates in my initial answer to him.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Adventuresome

Salary negotiations

Post by Adventuresome » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:28 am

First ... "THANK YOU" to everyone involved with this site. My wife and I have learned a huuuge amount from reading the conversations.

OPPORTUNITY ... I work for a Fortune 25 global company. We have an opening in my organization for a lateral job that would require me to relocate to Singapore. The company is willing to move me, but it's not an "expat" position (with all those wonderful bells and whistles).

SALARY (U.S) ... $130,000, Manager-Level (upper end of payscale)

FUNCTION/INDUSTRY ... Human Resources ... leading a technology team (from within HR).

QUESTION ... If my management chain wants to move us with only a currency exchange rate adjustment (inflate my salary by 1.25 to $162,000), will I be under-paid in Singapore dollars versus my peers?

ASSUMPTION ... My past performance justifies my upper-part-of-payscale salary. The local leaders know that there's a benefit to them for me coming to their region (it's not a strong card, but it's one that is in-play).

Thank you, in advance, for any help and thoughts.

nelisevapasingapur

Re: Average salaries in Singapore

Post by nelisevapasingapur » Sat, 22 Sep 2012 2:56 am

Hello, I am an spanish architect, 40 years old, and 12 years experienced as registered architect in Spain. I worked in Singapore involved at the MArina BArrage Building in 2004.
My expertise is in Environment and Green Building.
I am actually searching for a job in singapore and I am a single mother so will be working there with my 5-year-old child, with all the costs that this would mean: maid. school. 2 bed flat, health.....

My question is simply the same: what for a salary should I be offered with my experience and experteese? should I request from a minimum of 10.000S$? will this afford the suppo
rt that means working full time there?

and...are the timetables still till one or 2 more hours after daywork? whats the usual working day time finish? at 6-7pm?

thanks for your advice!

Sarah Smith

Re: Salary negotiations

Post by Sarah Smith » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 9:07 pm

Adventuresome wrote:First ... "THANK YOU" to everyone involved with this site. My wife and I have learned a huuuge amount from reading the conversations.

OPPORTUNITY ... I work for a Fortune 25 global company. We have an opening in my organization for a lateral job that would require me to relocate to Singapore. The company is willing to move me, but it's not an "expat" position (with all those wonderful bells and whistles).

SALARY (U.S) ... $130,000, Manager-Level (upper end of payscale)

FUNCTION/INDUSTRY ... Human Resources ... leading a technology team (from within HR).

QUESTION ... If my management chain wants to move us with only a currency exchange rate adjustment (inflate my salary by 1.25 to $162,000), will I be under-paid in Singapore dollars versus my peers?

ASSUMPTION ... My past performance justifies my upper-part-of-payscale salary. The local leaders know that there's a benefit to them for me coming to their region (it's not a strong card, but it's one that is in-play).

Thank you, in advance, for any help and thoughts.
Having been in Singapore a couple of years thought I should share my views. Firstly Singapore is very expensive. If money is the main motivation then I think you will be worse off. Especially if you are a US citizen and have to pay US federal tax. Being British i have benefitted from much lower income tax after moving here, and that helps to offset higher costs. Secondly, it is a good place to be right now considering where things are globally. I have enjoyed my time here so far with many new things to discover both here and regionally. Eg. Went to the F1 and it had a marvellous buzz. But you need to have a good attitude and be open to accepting different things. Thirdly, except for the very top echelon of organisations most people have local packages now, rather than expat bells and whistles. So what your company is offering you sounds reasonable for your role. If you have a strong bargaining position you could try asking for a higher number based on tax equalisation.

Hope this helps.

marco71

Post by marco71 » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 2:31 am

Can anyone help me with an estimation how much can I earn as marketing communications manager (regional) situated in Singapore for an ICT company (expat). I assume that all the wages mentioned here are gross sallaries? what about benefits? thanx in advance!

Mariell

Post by Mariell » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 8:11 pm

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone have any idea how much an entry level position or a position as an editorial assistant in a publishing company would be here in Singapore? I have a MA in publishing, but not much work experience within the field, so I would realistically have to start in an assistant position or something similar. Does anyone have any experience regarding roughly how much the average monthly salary for such a position would be? Would be great to get an idea about it :)

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:16 am

Dear Mariell,

How much work experience do you exactly have?

If you have an MA, don't ask for anything lower than SGD $5000 per month if you have at least 3 years of relevant full-time working experience.

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:19 am

Dear Marco71,

For a marketing manager position, especially "regional", ask for no less than SGD $8000 per month. I am assuming that you have relevant work experience and a Master's degree.

Also ask for a housing allowance as well, to supplement your rent too.

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:22 am

Dear nelisevapasingapur,

Since you have a lot of working experience and highly qualified, I think you can ask for at least SGD $15,000 per month, and also ask for an housing allowance too, for at least another $SGD 3000 per month too.

Working hours are pretty good, from 9 am to 6 pm.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 6:51 am

bioshock, are you a local?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:17 pm

Dear SundayMorningStaple,

Thank you very much for your question, yes, I am a local.

I presume that you are asking to see if I am actually qualified to be giving out such advice or not.

As to that, nobody is really sure, but I am giving out advice based on my anecdotal experience with locals, and expats, and with HR experts.

Do bear in mind, that when I give out recommendation, I assume the following, that the enquiry is asking with regards to employment according to the first category of companies:

1) First category: Foreign-based MNC (Multi-National Corporation)

2) Second category: Local-based MNC

3) Third category: Local SME (Small and Medium Enterprises)

If the recommendations I am giving seem to be on the higher end, it is because I am basing them on them applying to the first category, on their experience, qualification and the position they are applying for, and also factoring in the cost of living, plus the current job market. HR departments sometimes tend to lower the negotiable salary.

However, if it is the 2nd and 3rd category, then it would be completely different.

If you do feel that I am not giving the right advice, please do feel free to post it, I don't mind being disagreed with. Ultimately, it is up to the questioner to decide what to do.

At time, I may just advise the questioner or enquirer to go straight to MOM or ICA for advice.

This is because rules and regulations tend to be set in stone here and it is taken very seriously. Also, sometimes, the HR department may not have a clear picture either.

Of course, you can also ask me where to go for the best local eateries in Singapore, if you wish to!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:35 pm

I thought so. Looks like you are deliberately setting up self sabo'ing of foreigners before they even get to the interviews or to price themselves out of the competition in the interview. Pretty slick, but I'm afraid we've already seen through your ploy as the figures you give are patently ridiculous.

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:05 pm

Dear SMS,

I am very sorry and would like to apologize if I caused any misunderstandings or offense; if you do feel my figures are over on the high, then maybe I would just stop and if I ever do make any postings in the future, I will keep it general and non-committal on less controversial topics.

Dentist guy

Dentist

Post by Dentist guy » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:01 am

Hi all,

I am a British dentist and am new to this forum

I wanted to know if anyone knows what an average salary for a private dentist in Singapore would roughly be and if they are in high demand at the moment in Singapore?

Any info would be highly appreciated

Thanks all

Joe

MAKDe

Post by MAKDe » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 2:05 am

hello,
I did PhD in material science, have 3 years of postdoc experience. I have an interview for a position "researcher" at Mitsui Chemicals. they asked for 3 years of postdoc experiences. Can anybody tell me how much they usually pay for this kind of position irrespective to the nationality? A min and max range would be preferable.
Thank you in advance!
Cheers
MAK