Singapore Expats

Average salaries in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jpatokal

Average salaries in Singapore

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:22 am

The single most frequently asked question on SingaporeExpats: is my salary/offer good enough?

Here is the best quick answer:
http://www.kellyservices.com.sg/web/sg/ ... guide.html

As even more generic rules of thumb, the average middle-class skilled professional in Singapore makes around S$3000-3500 per month. An expat with a special skill set and/or experience should generally expect to make more, while entry level positions pay less. Due to the laws of supply and demand, perceived prestige and, yes, racism, Caucasians tend to get paid comparatively more, while Indians and Filipinos tend to get paid comparatively less.

edited 31/12/2010 to use current survey link - sms
Last edited by jpatokal on Wed, 23 Aug 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

givenchy

en...

Post by givenchy » Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:31 pm

the average middle-class skilled professional's salary should ranges from 4000-6000 bah?

but I know may ppl earn a lot of money each month, because they have their own business, they are self-empolyed.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 8:26 pm

The authoritative source for data is SingStat's Household Income report for 2000:

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/papers/c2000/adr-hhinc.pdf

Unfortunately they analyse data per household, not per person, but we can still glean that median household income in households with at least one university grad is $7929, and with at least one poly grad $5324. If I pull a figure out a hat and assume that on average the skilled person gets 100% more than the nonskilled person, then we get $5300 and $3500 respectively as the median incomes for uni/poly level skills.

jenche

Expat packages and salaries

Post by jenche » Wed, 27 Apr 2005 6:06 pm

Does the Expat package usually include housing or is it usually a flat salary?

Post by Guest » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:10 am

I went to the Ministry of Statistics (or something like that) and saw that median Database Administrator salary is only 3,000. Surely that is inaccurate?

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 7:11 am

Well, the nearest job category for me seems pretty accurate. I'm smacked right in the median:

Total Cash Package 44,013 67,729 115,338 75,891
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Post by Guest » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:46 pm

what is the average people makes in singapore annually? $50,000?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:30 am

riversandlakes wrote:Well, the nearest job category for me seems pretty accurate. I'm smacked right in the median:

Who smacked you in the middle of what? And what are those random numbers you post? 4D aberrations?

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 1:24 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:Well, the nearest job category for me seems pretty accurate. I'm smacked right in the median:

Who smacked you in the middle of what? And what are those random numbers you post? 4D aberrations?
Low, Median, High, and Average salaries for a given position, usually compiled from companies of several different sizes.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 7:22 pm

I bought the 5D and 6D and didn't win them :cry: :P
Vaucluse wrote:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:49 am

are you talking about per capita here :D
Anonymous wrote:what is the average people makes in singapore annually? $50,000?

smithy

Ave Salaries

Post by smithy » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:36 pm

Due to the laws of supply and demand, perceived prestige and, yes, racism, Caucasians tend to get paid comparatively more, while Indians and Filipinos tend to get paid comparatively less.
This is not racism. Its more like laws of physics. By caucasian, you mean people who come from countries like the US, England or Holland, etc. The salaries in these countries are higher than salaries from countries like China, Phillipines and Vietnam. They won't be working in Singapore if they did not get an attractive renumeration package in Singapore. Similarly, the employer would not pay that money unless they think this person has something to offer the establishment. Thus, the caucasians that come here are usually the fairly talented ones. Usually.

On the other hand, the average Phillipino, for example, would find most jobs in Singapore attractive. Naturally, that means you will find more phillipinos in lower-end jobs.

It does not mean talented Phillipinos get less money than their counterparts from England or the US though. I know of two such cases. Both were Indonesians. One works for a well-known financial institution and the other is an old guy who is a lecturer at a university here, among other things. Both are filthy rich.

aitokyo

Tax in Singapore

Post by aitokyo » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 6:58 pm

Hello,

I just got an offer of roughly S$ 180,000 /annum gross salary with local package. I am married with 4 kids. Do you think the offer is good enough for me ?
And how much is the tax in Singapore ? How much would be my net salary after tax ?

Thanks.

Pkchukiss

Re: Tax in Singapore

Post by Pkchukiss » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:18 am

aitokyo wrote:Hello,

I just got an offer of roughly S$ 180,000 /annum gross salary with local package. I am married with 4 kids. Do you think the offer is good enough for me ?
And how much is the tax in Singapore ? How much would be my net salary after tax ?

Thanks.
In Singapore, personal tax is rated at around 18% (if I am not wrong). You would have a personal relief, and other reliefs too if you have dependencies.
Ignorant no more
Visit my blog here

Jeffery Duncan

salary

Post by Jeffery Duncan » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 1:34 am

Is 5100 dollars Sing a good monthly salary for a manufactureing manager job? Keep in mind I have 2 school age kids. Any advice is appriciated.