Singapore Expats

Renouncing citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.

Renouncing citizenship

Post by 236243035 » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:52 am

Hi, a few years ago I was exempted from national service. Basically they sent me a green letter that state this:

You are hereby notified that under section 29 of the enlistment act (CAP.93) you are exempted from :
A) Full-time national service
B)Operationally ready national service
C) Duty to obtain an exit permit

My main question is, does this mean I can renounce my citizenship after I become a citizen of another country or will I run into any difficulties during the process because I got exempted and technically did not serve. I'm marrying my girlfriend soon and I will be moving to her country and I will also most likely apply for citizenship there. I just need more clarification because there are just so many caveats for men when it comes to renouncing citizenship in this country. If anyone can clarify for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Renouncing citizenship

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:27 pm

236243035 wrote:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:52 am
Hi, a few years ago I was exempted from national service. Basically they sent me a green letter that state this:

You are hereby notified that under section 29 of the enlistment act (CAP.93) you are exempted from :

My main question is, does this mean I can renounce my citizenship after I become a citizen of another country or will I run into any difficulties during the process because I got exempted and technically did not serve. I'm marrying my girlfriend soon and I will be moving to her country and I will also most likely apply for citizenship there. I just need more clarification because there are just so many caveats for men when it comes to renouncing citizenship in this country. If anyone can clarify for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
You have not given details about which country etc. But you want advise? How will we know the restriction of that country?

Post by 236243035 » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:31 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:27 pm
236243035 wrote:

You have not given details about which country etc. But you want advise? How will we know the restriction of that country?
The country I will be moving to is the UK.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:31 pm

236243035 wrote:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:31 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
236243035 wrote:

Are you a Singapore Citizen or non first generation PR? On what grounds and why did they exempt you?

Post by 236243035 » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 1:36 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
236243035 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

Are you a Singapore Citizen or non first generation PR? On what grounds and why did they exempt you?
I am a Singapore Citizen. They exempted me because of major depressive disorder and anxiety. I had 2 suicide attempts at that point.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 5:52 pm

If he is 'exempted' from all three, then there is no reason he cannot renounce. The NS requirement has been exempted (not waived) therefore his obligation for conscription is moot. As long as he can get citizenship from the UK (and OP, you cannot renounce until you have UK citizenship as you would become as stateless person then) he's good to go.

236243035, I would suggest that you research immigration to the UK to see if your medical condition would prevent your obtaining citizenship there. (I'm not from the UK)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post by 236243035 » Mon, 16 Sep 2019 9:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 5:52 pm
If he is 'exempted' from all three, then there is no reason he cannot renounce. The NS requirement has been exempted (not waived) therefore his obligation for conscription is moot. As long as he can get citizenship from the UK (and OP, you cannot renounce until you have UK citizenship as you would become as stateless person then) he's good to go.

236243035, I would suggest that you research immigration to the UK to see if your medical condition would prevent your obtaining citizenship there. (I'm not from the UK)
Okay that clears it up for me then. Thanks !

alvinlwh

Post by alvinlwh » Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:22 pm

No restriction on the UK side based on your medical condition, not even asked.
However, you better check if your GF/wife-to-be is able to hit all the points required to sponsor you. Is she earning at least £18,600/year for the past 6 month?

Also, you cannot just get married and move here, you need to apply for LTE from Singapore -OR- get LTE to get married in the UK and then switch to LTR Spouse and then renew about 30 months later and then get ILR after 5 years in total, and then wait a year before you can get British Citizenship.

Assuming that you get married tomorrow, the soonest you can get British Citizenship is 2024/5.

Good luck - From a bro that had gone down that route.

Post by 236243035 » Sun, 22 Sep 2019 2:55 am

alvinlwh wrote:
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:22 pm
No restriction on the UK side based on your medical condition, not even asked.
However, you better check if your GF/wife-to-be is able to hit all the points required to sponsor you. Is she earning at least £18,600/year for the past 6 month?

Also, you cannot just get married and move here, you need to apply for LTE from Singapore -OR- get LTE to get married in the UK and then switch to LTR Spouse and then renew about 30 months later and then get ILR after 5 years in total, and then wait a year before you can get British Citizenship.

Assuming that you get married tomorrow, the soonest you can get British Citizenship is 2024/5.

Good luck - From a bro that had gone down that route.
Thanks bruh . I really appreciate your advice.