Singapore Expats

Access to a piano.

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
WillH

Access to a piano.

Post by WillH » Fri, 13 Sep 2019 5:48 pm

Hi.

Wondering if anyone can help ...

My son has just begun studying at Nanyuang Technological University. He is out in Singapore for 1 year on international exchange from Strathclyde University, Scotland.
He plays grade 7 piano, as well as various other instruments, and had been informed that he could get access to a piano at the uni. Unfortunately this has not been the case.

I’m trying to find out if anyone would know of where/how he could get his hands on a piano within easy access of the university?

He has played since he was very young and he isn’t relishing the fact that he might go so long without the chance to play regularly.

Also, if this is not the correct forum, but you know of a better one to post on, can you please also advise.

Thanks.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Access to a piano.

Post by The Ref » Fri, 13 Sep 2019 6:31 pm

While it is a long way from NTU there is one available for anyones use at Changi Citi point (Capri Mall). There may also be one at other malls around, although this is the first I have seen in 10 years here.
Anyway a quick Google search brings up: https://www.thepiano.sg/piano/public

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:49 am

Some of the public Hospitals May have pianos in the lobby - TTSH and CGH for sure.

They may appreciate some nice classical entertainment there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

WillH

Post by WillH » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 4:57 pm

The Ref wrote:
Fri, 13 Sep 2019 6:31 pm
While it is a long way from NTU there is one available for anyones use at Changi Citi point (Capri Mall). There may also be one at other malls around, although this is the first I have seen in 10 years here.
Anyway a quick Google search brings up: https://www.thepiano.sg/piano/public
To The Ref .....

Thanks for your reply. I will pass this info on to my son. “ Thepiano.sg” is def something he will look up. He was really looking for somewhere a bit more private to allow him to practice but he will no doubt search out your suggestions as he often played in public back home, whenever a piano was available.

Thanks again.

WillH

Post by WillH » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 5:39 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 11:49 am
Some of the public Hospitals May have pianos in the lobby - TTSH and CGH for sure.

They may appreciate some nice classical entertainment there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To BBCDoc...

Thanks for the info. My son is looking for somewhere a bit more private in order to practice. He will be happy to seek out the pianos in the hospitals in order to provide some music for anyone willing to listen to him play. They will not be disappointed!

Thanks.

jnjde

Post by jnjde » Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:51 pm

Used to play at public pianos but the piano quality are not very good. Also, there were too many passerby looking to have a good practise. End up renting a piano at home instead. Got my piano from piano doremi.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 1:11 pm

advertise on carousell for a private home w piano to use for practise and offer to pay token
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:30 pm

Plenty of music schools actually offer studio space for rent. They charge by the day, and you can usually get one for as low as $15 or $20 an hour. Obviously it will be a relatively small room, but it should be good enough if he’s practicing on his own. Try Cristofori.