Singapore Expats

Moving back to Singapore (School)

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ireallydespisesss

Moving back to Singapore (School)

Post by ireallydespisesss » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 8:04 pm

Hello this is my first time posting here so I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to post it on but here goes.

I am currently living and studying abroad and I was wondering if I were to move back to Singapore, how would I get back into a secondary school?

I left Singapore after taking the PSLE and I had selected a placeholder school incase I decided to move back, however according to my parents they have stopped contact with the school and so I don’t have a place there anymore. So I was wondering if I could still go to a secondary school in Singapore if I were to return? Fyi, I am a Singapore Citizen.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Moving back to Singapore (School)

Post by tt1973 » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 8:28 pm

How long have you left Sg? Why the sudden desire to come back?

I am sure you can still go to a Secondary school, there are always places around. But I suspect cannot be too fussy about the school choice.

ireallydespisesss

Post by ireallydespisesss » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 10:03 pm

I’ve been overseas for about 3- 4 years already. Actually it’s not a final decision yet but what I can tell you is that I’ve definitely taken Sg for granted when I was younger.

Yep I think so too, but I’m also hoping that it would be possible to go to a somewhat decent secondary school.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 10:19 pm

3 - 4 years? Have you completed your secondary studies (A levels) abroad?

Should you join the junior college or polytechnic in SG instead?

ireallydespisesss

Post by ireallydespisesss » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 1:34 am

I currently just started grade 9 ( equivalent to sec 3) since I had to start a year over.

But yes I am also debating to return to SG for poly or jc if possible.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 1:39 am

ireallydespisesss wrote:
Tue, 10 Sep 2019 1:34 am
I currently just started grade 9 ( equivalent to sec 3) since I had to start a year over.

But yes I am also debating to return to SG for poly or jc if possible.
I would suggest you finish your current level before returning. Else it will be very difficult to adjust mid-secondary. Not impossible but I rather not to if I were you.

trueorigin

Post by trueorigin » Thu, 19 Dec 2019 3:30 am

Hi, yes u can do that if you're (academically) gifted and won't mind the grind too much. There were a few transfer students at my SAP school, usually foreigners but a few locals too, sec 2 or 3, so not unusual. The students themselves were unusual though, very independent, some stayed on in the Singapore system and some went back overseas.

About the schools, you'll more or less have your pick if you've got the results to show for. Any awards or recognition you have in CCA/independent competitions will help. It's quite risky to try and enter at the Sec 3 level though; many schools will be concerned about their ranking/your ability to catch up and will monitor you after you get in (some gifted kids don't respond well to this style of handling) .. especially the SAPs coz, as u probably know, they tend to accelerate their curriculum and turn most of sec 4 into a revision year. Not very pleasant. Sometimes they may turn down transfers just because of internal reshuffle or resource concerns, or offer placement in lower sec coz they're scared abt rankings, so don't take it personal. The good non-SAP schools will depend on their management, they may try to jack up their entry requirements if they're chasing rank hard that year. Apart from that, u may or may not have to put attention to making friends/working in groups coz everyone will have less time and may already have their own cliques.

It's probably better to hold off for 1st year poly/JC if u can, it'll be easier and everyone will be starting afresh too.

If you're still keen on entering at sec school level w/o placehold, these are the requirements -

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/retur ... ary-school

Also more on Eligibility & cut-off

GL