Singapore Expats

Chances to return to SG to work after leaving for 2 years

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
gingiku

Chances to return to SG to work after leaving for 2 years

Post by gingiku » Fri, 06 Sep 2019 1:55 am

Hi guys,

Is there a lower chance if I leave Singapore for 2 years then want to go back to work again?

Yeah, I haven't left now.

I received 2 offers recently, one is from Cambodia MNC, one is from SG SME.

The Cambodia offer is similar role as multimedia producer, around 60K USD per year.
The SG SME offer around 58K SGD per year, role is gradually turning to market research.

About me:
NTU master, Chinese, 27-year-old single, working in a big local media company as producer for almost 3 years, 46k annual income

I just applied PR with a bloody agency this June.
I have no idea whether there's somehow higher chance to get a PR with a local big company, compared with an SME (but higher salary?)

Cambodia seems an exciting challenge and different life experience for me, also I enjoyed the massage when I traveled there.

But I have no plan to stay in Cambodia forever, my friends and someone I'm attached to stay in SG.
Now I'm concerned the possibility that I return here to find a job and apply for PR again after leaving for 2 or 3 years (by the time I'm 30 already lol)
Unluckily I dont see my skillset as a producer is highly in demand here.

Third option is I just stay in this big media company to wait for my PR application result.

Feel free to spit on me or give me a shit :)

Thanks for your time on this messy post :roll:

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Chances to return to SG to work after leaving for 2 years

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 06 Sep 2019 9:19 pm

gingiku wrote:
Fri, 06 Sep 2019 1:55 am
Hi guys,

Is there a lower chance if I leave Singapore for 2 years then want to go back to work again?

The Cambodia offer is similar role as multimedia producer, around 60K USD per year.
The SG SME offer around 58K SGD per year, role is gradually turning to market research.

About me:
NTU master, Chinese, 27-year-old single, working in a big local media company as producer for almost 3 years, 46k annual income

I have no idea whether there's somehow higher chance to get a PR with a local big company, compared with an SME (but higher salary?)

Cambodia seems an exciting challenge and different life experience for me, also I enjoyed the massage when I traveled there.

But I have no plan to stay in Cambodia forever, my friends and someone I'm attached to stay in SG.
Now I'm concerned the possibility that I return here to find a job and apply for PR again after leaving for 2 or 3 years (by the time I'm 30 already lol)

Third option is I just stay in this big media company to wait for my PR application result.

If you want to work in future in SG, it is better for you to stay here itself. If you are going to break your SG working history, especially if you want to apply PR and if you come back after 2 years, you have to start from 0 and your previous 2 years of work experience in SG will go waste.

1. Why not stay in SG and find another better job that can pay you better salary similar to the cambodian salary?
2. How is your career progress in Cambodia after 2 years? Better than SG? If not, better stay in SG now itself.

It is for you to decide. You cant say I want to go to Cambodia also and later come back to SG and settle here for good and for long. It does not work that way. You have to think carefully long term and choose ONE.

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 2:21 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 06 Sep 2019 9:19 pm
gingiku wrote:
Fri, 06 Sep 2019 1:55 am
Hi guys,

About me:

If you want to work in future in SG, it is better for you to stay here itself. If you are going to break your SG working history, especially if you want to apply PR and if you come back after 2 years, you have to start from 0 and your previous 2 years of work experience in SG will go waste.

1. Why not stay in SG and find another better job that can pay you better salary similar to the cambodian salary?
2. How is your career progress in Cambodia after 2 years? Better than SG? If not, better stay in SG now itself.

It is for you to decide. You cant say I want to go to Cambodia also and later come back to SG and settle here for good and for long. It does not work that way. You have to think carefully long term and choose ONE.
Thanks for your advice!
Yeah I'm aware that I don't have so-called freedom to try anything new or go anywhere exciting as I want. I'm restricted by the citizens.
Maybe I will do it after I get a PR first.
What's your opinion about chances to get a PR in big company(lower salary) vs SME(higher salary)? or it just doesn't matter at all...

My industry and skillset are not as high pay as IT or finance, but I'm happy doing it for now.
Just too steady like a preparing retired Aunty now.
Turning to market research might be good for increase my income in the future though it's SME.

thanks again.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Mon, 09 Sep 2019 8:48 am

If your goal is to become a PR on the way to citizenship, it makes sense to stay in Singapore continuously.

But the way I look at it, 60K USD in Cambodia is huge. Your savings will be high if you are a saver or if not, you will enjoy your life there. You can build up assets and experience in Cambodia and return to Singapore later or maybe with that salary, you will enjoy your life there and stay.

It really depends on your personal, financial and professional goals.

gingiku

Post by gingiku » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:01 am

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 8:48 am
If your goal is to become a PR on the way to citizenship, it makes sense to stay in Singapore continuously.

But the way I look at it, 60K USD in Cambodia is huge. Your savings will be high if you are a saver or if not, you will enjoy your life there. You can build up assets and experience in Cambodia and return to Singapore later or maybe with that salary, you will enjoy your life there and stay.

Yeah, I really want to have a different experience in another country, and at the same time, I can save certain amount of money.
But after that, I'm a bit worried my future way, return to SG or back to China as I never plan to reside in Cambodia for life long.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:15 am

gingiku wrote:
Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:01 am
bro75 wrote:
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 8:48 am

Yeah, I really want to have a different experience in another country, and at the same time, I can save certain amount of money.
But after that, I'm a bit worried my future way, return to SG or back to China as I never plan to reside in Cambodia for life long.
You may be able to return back and work in SG. But please dont expect SG to give you PR easily when you return back to SG