Singapore Expats

Question regarding process from AIP to Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
justin123

Question regarding process from AIP to Citizenship

Post by justin123 » Thu, 05 Sep 2019 3:24 pm

Hi all,
I'm a 22 years old Chinese holding PRC passport, I completed my National Service and thankfully, ICA processed my online SC application without any issues.
I've just received my Approval-In-Principles (AIP) letter and will be doing my SC Journey tour in during this December.
As of right now, I'm currently studying overseas in an Australia university. I understand that I have to renounce my current citizenship, but I'm unsure about how is the renounciation process like?
Is it going to take a long time before I can get my Singapore passport? I have also have to update my Australia student visa which will take some time too. Thus, I'm afraid that it might drag on for too long such that it will overlap with my university's semester. It would be great if someone can paint out a general timeline for me.
Any insights/advice regarding SC time frame would be appreciated! Likewise, if any of you guys have any questions for me I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
Thanks all!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Question regarding process from AIP to Citizenship

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 06 Sep 2019 9:23 pm

justin123 wrote:
Thu, 05 Sep 2019 3:24 pm
Hi all,
I'm a 22 years old Chinese holding PRC passport, I completed my National Service and thankfully, ICA processed my online SC application without any issues.
I've just received my Approval-In-Principles (AIP) letter and will be doing my SC Journey tour in during this December.
As of right now, I'm currently studying overseas in an Australia university. I understand that I have to renounce my current citizenship, but I'm unsure about how is the renounciation process like?
Is it going to take a long time before I can get my Singapore passport? I have also have to update my Australia student visa which will take some time too. Thus, I'm afraid that it might drag on for too long such that it will overlap with my university's semester. It would be great if someone can paint out a general timeline for me.
Any insights/advice regarding SC time frame would be appreciated! Likewise, if any of you guys have any questions for me I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
Thanks all!
It will take you around 1.5 - 3 months for you to get your Singapore Passport after you receive the AIP letter. (During this time you need to go through the Singapore Citizenship Journey, Elearning and a historical location site visit). After this you would need to renounce your current citizenship and then go take the OATH for Singapore Citizenship and then apply for your Singapore Passport.

How long more are you going to Study in Australia? If it is going to be short, write to ICA and ask if they can give you an extension for the AIP. This may avoid you reapplying for your Student Visa with SG passport, etc?

GennieMa

Post by GennieMa » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 5:16 pm

Hi, can i know AIP will be sent by what mean? mail/email? My e-status showed approved, but havent receive AIP.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 5:34 pm

GennieMa wrote:
Tue, 17 Sep 2019 5:16 pm
Hi, can i know AIP will be sent by what mean? mail/email? My e-status showed approved, but havent receive AIP.
It will come by normal MAIL (Postal Letter). Will receive within 2 days - 2 weeks. If you dont receive in 2 weeks, contact ICA