Singapore Expats

How does optical and dental insurance work here?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
Question2005

How does optical and dental insurance work here?

Post by Question2005 » Sat, 31 Aug 2019 7:11 pm

I did some searching, but can only find articles talking about hospital cover. No mention of "extras" like optical or dental cover that you can purchase as a standalone insurance plan like in Australia. How does that work in Singapore?

The Australian government also has a PDF file of providers offering various plans, is there something like that here? I can't figure how i'm supposed to search for different insurance plans, googling just gives me random sites but no list to do comparisons or get instant price quotes online.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How does optical and dental insurance work here?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Sep 2019 12:35 am

viewtopic.php?t=117839#p776960

I don't think you will find stand-alone policies in Singapore. Sadly this isn't Australia, but a different country with different types of policies, etc. There isn't any National Healthcare like there is in Aus either. So, because they are add-on to existing policies it would be rather difficult to find a comparison with enough scope to get any type of comparison. I did find a listing of hospital ob-gyn charges once though between the various hospitals here.

My recommendation is who ever is working, try to ensure the company has group medical insurance and then see if you can pay an additional premium for the additional coverage.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 03 Sep 2019 8:41 am

Chubb Insurance has something called Dental Care Plus. Google it and contact the company.
Some agent tried to sell me this but I did not take it up.

Question2005

Post by Question2005 » Fri, 06 Sep 2019 4:34 am

I took a look at the plan but it doesnt make sense. The annual premium is about $455, but if you were to do a routine visit every year, it would cost a lot less than $455...so you are better off not getting the plan and just paying out of pocket anyway. Its dissapointing that dental/optical insurance here seems pretty undeveloped.

3carlos

Post by 3carlos » Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:24 am

You are right, optical (especially optical) and dental are deemed as health extras that are typically on higher plans.

You should get it with your inpatient plan (which I recommend you get a personal one rather than rely on company insurance which in most cases are basic). There are some plans in the market that offer but it will still set someone who is 30+ back $4,xxx/year. Note that this comes with inpatient, outpatient and dental.