Singapore Expats

Should I apply for PEP while SPR application is pending?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sasa83

Should I apply for PEP while SPR application is pending?

Post by sasa83 » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 3:34 pm

Hi folks,

First post here, but been reading the forums for a long period now. Thanks everyone here for the useful insights.

I am in some sort of a dilemma. My SPR application (applied with wife and 3yr daughter) is pending for 6 months now. My employer is now looking at some restructuring initiatives and likely that my whole team could be shelved. Thought of applying for a PEP and getting the in-principle approval in the meanwhile as a backup (to at least continue staying here if I need to find another job). But wondering if applying for a PEP would give MOM ideas that my job is not stable and hence they might reject the SPR. Any thoughts anyone?

I am not too optimistic with the SPR given my profile (details below). But would not want to straightaway kill my chances if a PEP application would mean that.

Profile summary:
Indian male, 37, IT industry, MBA from a top Indian B-school, 14yrs of workex, but only 2 yrs of stay in SG. Salary about 250k pa
Wife - Indian, 35, IT industry, masters in biotech, DP but working in SG (with LOC)
Daughter - 3yr old, going to a local preschool.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Should I apply for PEP while SPR application is pending?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 5:25 pm

You can try. My gut feeling is that you may not be successful on your PR application with only 2 years in Singapore, especially considering your industry and nationality. Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you that applying for the PEP 'may' be raising a red flag, but if the writing is on the wall in your current position with the likelihood of a major reshuffle, it might be worth a try. I guess you need to decide if you want to buy your ticket and take your chances. It's a hard one to gauge, to be honest. I feel it all depends on how strongly you feel the likelihood of your whole team getting shelved.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sasa83

Post by sasa83 » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 6:41 pm

Thank you SMS!

The likelihood is actually quite high - much like 50%+. But then again, it’s all perceived probability based on the rejigger corporate strategy. I think I will go ahead and apply for the PEP just to be on the safer side.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 8:40 pm

I wish you Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Sep 2019 9:24 pm

sasa83 wrote:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 3:34 pm
Hi folks,

First post here, but been reading the forums for a long period now. Thanks everyone here for the useful insights.

I am in some sort of a dilemma. My SPR application (applied with wife and 3yr daughter) is pending for 6 months now. My employer is now looking at some restructuring initiatives and likely that my whole team could be shelved. Thought of applying for a PEP and getting the in-principle approval in the meanwhile as a backup (to at least continue staying here if I need to find another job). But wondering if applying for a PEP would give MOM ideas that my job is not stable and hence they might reject the SPR. Any thoughts anyone?

I am not too optimistic with the SPR given my profile (details below). But would not want to straightaway kill my chances if a PEP application would mean that.

Profile summary:
Indian male, 37, IT industry, MBA from a top Indian B-school, 14yrs of workex, but only 2 yrs of stay in SG. Salary about 250k pa
Wife - Indian, 35, IT industry, masters in biotech, DP but working in SG (with LOC)
Daughter - 3yr old, going to a local preschool.

Thanks!
Considering that your salary is on the very high side, along with your short stay of only 2 years, your chances will be very slim for PR. Since you are from a top business school, they know that you can get a job in any other country easily too. But still you have 20-30% chances for approval.

sasa83

Post by sasa83 » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:31 am

Just an update in case useful for anyone.

I got my PR rejection letter a couple of days ago.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:34 pm

sasa83 wrote:
Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:31 am
Just an update in case useful for anyone.

I got my PR rejection letter a couple of days ago.
Sorry. Try again after you reside and work in SG for atleast 5 years.

kenbie

Post by kenbie » Wed, 27 Nov 2019 8:25 am

@sasa83 I've similar profile just I m staying in SG past 5 years. Hope this helps me. [-o< [-o<
btw did you get your Pep

kenbie

Post by kenbie » Wed, 27 Nov 2019 8:26 am

@sasa83 I've similar profile just I m staying in SG past 5 years. Hope this helps me. [-o< [-o<
btw did you get your Pep