Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:19 pm

Hello,

It's possible to rent a condo for 3 months legally if I will come from the EU on 90 days tourist visa?
Please, support your suggestion by some link to a law article. I did some search myself and it seems it is legally according to URA: https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Proper ... g-Property
They did not mentioned any visa regulations as long as its "three consecutive months" or over I suppose.
Still have some doubts. Please, only LEGAL ways. I know about Service Apartments, etc.

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3976
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:48 pm

superme wrote:
Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:19 pm
Hello,

It's possible to rent a condo for 3 months legally if I will come from the EU on 90 days tourist visa?
Please, support your suggestion by some link to a law article. I did some search myself and it seems it is legally according to URA: https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Proper ... g-Property
They did not mentioned any visa regulations as long as its "three consecutive months" or over I suppose.
Still have some doubts. Please, only LEGAL ways. I know about Service Apartments, etc.
3 consecutive months applies to private properties. For HDB it is minimum 6 months

superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:53 pm

Yes, of course. So my questions is...will I be able to rent LEGALLY for 3 months on 90 days tourist visa?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3976
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:58 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:48 pm
superme wrote:
Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:19 pm
Hello,

It's possible to rent a condo for 3 months legally if I will come from the EU on 90 days tourist visa?
Please, support your suggestion by some link to a law article. I did some search myself and it seems it is legally according to URA: https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Proper ... g-Property
They did not mentioned any visa regulations as long as its "three consecutive months" or over I suppose.
Still have some doubts. Please, only LEGAL ways. I know about Service Apartments, etc.
3 consecutive months applies to private properties. For HDB it is minimum 6 months
Read this

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/property/now ... singapore/

superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Tue, 27 Aug 2019 7:24 pm

Yeah, saw the article already. Many people said that I may need some kind of "resident visa" to be able to rent a residental apartment. However, according to my understanding and referring to the URA link above, there is no any "special" visa requirement as long as you rent for "3 consecutive months".
There are many different opinions, so I would like to know the legal way for sure before I do any move!

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:01 am

It depends entirely on whether the LL and agent are willing to accept your application.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 2:51 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:01 am
It depends entirely on whether the LL and agent are willing to accept your application.
Yes, I fully understand. Just wanted to see if the Singaporian law is not against a tourist renting 3 months condo and no special visa requirements (eg. Student Pass or any kind of work permit / EP)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39577
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 5:16 pm

superme wrote:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 2:51 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:01 am
It depends entirely on whether the LL and agent are willing to accept your application.
Yes, I fully understand. Just wanted to see if the Singaporian law is not against a tourist renting 3 months condo and no special visa requirements (eg. Student Pass or any kind of work permit / EP)
Apparently, from our Admin, the only problem would be getting utilities as in Singapore you need residency to get power & water. However, if a LL is willing to rent with a rental figure that is inclusive of the Utilities (e.g., in the LLs name and not the renter). Shouldn't be any problem. But I'd think it might be difficult to cut this kind of a deal with a local landlord.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the answer! It seems to me the Singaporian government have nothing against a tourist renting 3 months a condo (private) apartment.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39577
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 8:48 pm

They do, but it's just that they are alienating a lot of people who don't mind renting out short term but they are drawing the line at things like AirBnB etc. for a couple days/weeks as it's disruptive to neighbourhoods and security. Anyway, looks like you are good to go provided you can find an employer who will absorb your utility bill (even if you leave the water and lights on/running 24/90) That will be the problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

superme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by superme » Wed, 28 Aug 2019 11:40 pm

Got it, thanks.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Aug 2019 1:08 am

I have a bit of a different view of AirBnb rentals in Singapore, having rented one for a week last year.

The regulations apply to "private dwellings". But, what is a private dwelling. I stayed in a very nice furnished room in a shophouse in little India. I'd call it commercial. The bottom floor had a wedding dress seamstress business and a couple of other businesses, as well as the shophouse owner's residence.

So, while it seems clear that the hundreds of AirBnd ads for one bedroom condos in the River Valley area don't pass muster, there are also substantial numbers of properties than cannot be purely classified as private residential that should be available for any period of time.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 Aug 2019 10:45 am

I agree SE. I think the AirBNB ban is ridiculous. One of the proven positive aspects of BNB is that it actually bring measurable peace as it improves collaboration across group identities.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

musical box
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 3:50 pm

Re: Renting for 3 months on tourist visa

Post by musical box » Sat, 22 Feb 2020 2:57 pm

May I ask whether you all still stand by your postings above since the BnB space / tourists renting for the longer term etc. is still not clearly understood by me and I suspect many others?

Aside, if renting AirBnB for 3 months (or more??) then does this effectively create a "lease" which requires, as I understand, that valid residency is required?
[lease defined in google search as:
a contract by which one party conveys land, property, services, etc. to another for a specified time, usually in return for a periodic payment.].

Would the tourist renter be classified formally as an "occupier" during rental (or occupying) period of time irrespective of whether they have formal lease?

Finally, if the private condo was occupied by a tourist for 3 months, without a formal lease, then is this against the law? If yes, then all tourists must stay in hotels or Serviced Apartments, correct?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest