Singapore Expats

Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sn84

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP, and subsequent renewals

Post by sn84 » Thu, 07 Oct 2021 1:58 pm

Hi guys,

I decided to apply for LTVP right after my ROM on 1Dec2021. One requirement is the employment letter, do you know how early can the employment letter date be? I am asking this cause my partner's HR is slow, I am thinking of asking him to get such letter now but just in case his HR suddenly becomes fast and issue him a letter say on 15Oct2021, do you know if it is too early for the LTVP application date of 1Dec2021?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 07 Oct 2021 4:41 pm

sn84 wrote:
Thu, 07 Oct 2021 1:58 pm
Hi guys,

I decided to apply for LTVP right after my ROM on 1Dec2021. One requirement is the employment letter, do you know how early can the employment letter date be? I am asking this cause my partner's HR is slow, I am thinking of asking him to get such letter now but just in case his HR suddenly becomes fast and issue him a letter say on 15Oct2021, do you know if it is too early for the LTVP application date of 1Dec2021?
Issued within last 15 days before the application should be the best. Max is 1 month old.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 07 Oct 2021 5:10 pm

For my husband’s LTVP renewal, the employment letter has to be dated within a week from the renewal date.

That means if you apply on 1 Dec 2021, then the employment letter has to be dated within 1 Dec 2021 to 7 Dec 2022.

Just note, the timeline of the date can change anytime. I remembered when I first applied for my husband’s LTVP years ago, the letter was supposed to be dated within a month of the application date. Then for this year’s renewal, it was to be dated within a week.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Thu, 07 Oct 2021 5:22 pm

Thanks so much for the reply.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:39 am

Table of content
  • PR (2022, in this post below)
————

Lengthy post below.

Applied PR for hubby last year and it was approved in 9 months on the first attempt! We were prepared for a rejection and a long wait too.

Applied via spouse sponsorship aka family ties scheme. We have no children and I’m not pregnant. Applied by ourselves, no agencies used. Husband did not do any insurance policies, monetary/blood donations, investment/car/housing, or volunteering either. He is just a non-expat average joe from a small town.

Details below.

Disclaimer: All PR applications are on a case by case basis. Just because my profile works for me does not mean it works for you.

Me (sponsor)
Female Chinese SC
Early 30s
Degree holder
Salary close to $3.8K but taxable income is higher due to generous bonus
Work in biomedical research
Own & live in 3-room resale flat in mature estate

Spouse
Male Caucasian American
Early 30s
Degree holder
Salary close to $3K
Work in veterinary services
Lives with me

Late August 2021: Applied for PR after 2 years of marriage, hubby was unemployed at that time.

I wanted to wait for 3 years of marriage and for him to be employed before applying but we figured he might gain employment while PR was being processed and employment status can be updated… It was a risk he was willing to take.

ICA did not request any additional documents from us during those 9 months of waiting. I logged in once a month to check the application status after the 4 month mark.

April 2022: Hubby got a job. (Job hunt is super difficult for LTVP holders)

Early May 2022: Was going to submit hubby’s first month payslip & letter of employment when I noticed the “Upload documents” button had disappeared.

I emailed hubby’s documents to [email protected] and only got an automated email response.

Late May 2022: About 2 weeks after the button went missing, status changed to APPROVED in the ICA portal.

On the same day, I also received a reply from an ICA officer regarding the email I sent 2 weeks earlier saying the PR has been approved and to await for the IPA letter to be mailed to my address. I am unsure if they saw hubby’s employment letter & payslip at all?

Later that day I found the IPA letter in the mailbox. The IPA validity in the letter was listed as 2 months.

Saw the actual date of approval was actually a few days earlier but it wasn’t reflected in the portal a few days before. How I noticed this was because after the upload document button disappeared, I logged in once a day to check for an update and I remember it was still pending on the date it’s actually approved. I suppose after approving/rejecting, it takes a while to be reflected in the system.

Next couple of weeks: Go for medical check up and get the other documents in order. We went back to the same clinic that we went for his LTVP medical check up. Check up was completed under an hour, the price also increased since he did the check up 3 years ago. Results were collected within 2 days just like last time.

Mid-June 2022: Went down for appointment in the morning. There is a huge line of people queuing for passport renewal, just tell the staff you’re here for PR formalities and they will let you into the building promptly. PR formalities are done at level 5.

Scan the IPA letter at the self-service kiosk. Do note there are two sets of doors at level 5, one door is for Singapore passports collection, the other is for PR formalities. Enter the correct door but even if you don’t, the staff will re-direct you.

Only the PR applicant (aka hubby) can be at the counter when documents are verified. I just had to pass my IC to him, sit back, and wait. Lots of citizen spouses like me were hanging back and waiting too. There are other citizen wives waiting as well, in case people are wondering about female SCs sponsoring for foreigner husbands.

I noticed he was the only Caucasian there during the appointment, the rest of the applicants appeared to be of Asian descent. Many applicants were dressed formally, some in suits, but hubby was dressed casually in shorts, shirt, and sandals lol.

I observed that images of his iris & thumbprints were captured. He had to sign some documents and then make payment for his entry permit, re-entry permit & IC.

He was given a temporary IC (a piece of paper) and information on how to collect his physical IC. The appointment concludes just like that in about 30-45 mins or so.

———

Hubby and I are over the moon and this forum has been immensely helpful every step of the way so I’m giving back with my knowledge.

With all the uncertainty out of the window, perhaps he can finally get a job in what he studied in and we can start a family. It never bode well with me to have a baby to improve PR chances.

Now he has to re-link his SingPass & inform his employer…
Last edited by MOCHS on Mon, 15 Aug 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:56 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:39 am
Table of content
————

Lengthy post below.

Applied PR for hubby last year and it was approved in 9 months on the first attempt! We were prepared for a rejection and a long wait too.

Applied via spouse sponsorship aka family ties scheme. We have no children and I’m not pregnant. Applied by ourselves, no agencies used. Husband did not do any insurance policies, monetary/blood donations, investment/car/housing, or volunteering either. He is just a non-expat average joe from a small town.

Details below.

Disclaimer: All PR applications are on a case by case basis. Just because my profile works for me does not mean it works for you.

Me (sponsor)
Female Chinese SC
Early 30s
Degree holder

Spouse
Male Caucasian American
Early 30s
Degree holder
Salary close to $3K
Lives with me

Late August 2021: Applied for PR after 2 years of marriage, hubby was unemployed at that time.

I wanted to wait for 3 years of marriage and for him to be employed before applying but we figured he might gain employment while PR was being processed and employment status can be updated… It was a risk he was willing to take.

ICA did not request any additional documents from us during those 9 months of waiting. I logged in once a month to check the application status after the 4 month mark.

Early May 2022: Was going to submit hubby’s first month payslip & letter of employment when I noticed the “Upload documents” button had disappeared.

I emailed hubby’s documents to [email protected] and only got an automated email response.

Late May 2022: About 2 weeks after the button went missing, status changed to APPROVED in the ICA portal.

On the same day, I also received a reply from an ICA officer regarding the email I sent 2 weeks earlier saying the PR has been approved and to await for the IPA letter to be mailed to my address. I am unsure if they saw hubby’s employment letter & payslip at all?

Later that day I found the IPA letter in the mailbox. The IPA validity in the letter was listed as 2 months.

Saw the actual date of approval was actually a few days earlier but it wasn’t reflected in the portal a few days before. How I noticed this was because after the upload document button disappeared, I logged in once a day to check for an update and I remember it was still pending on the date it’s actually approved. I suppose after approving/rejecting, it takes a while to be reflected in the system.

Next couple of weeks: Go for medical check up and get the other documents in order. We went back to the same clinic that we went for his LTVP medical check up. Check up was completed under an hour, the price also increased since he did the check up 3 years ago. Results were collected within 2 days just like last time.

Mid-June 2022: Went down for appointment in the morning. There is a huge line of people queuing for passport renewal, just tell the staff you’re here for PR formalities and they will let you into the building promptly. PR formalities are done at level 5.

Scan the IPA letter at the self-service kiosk. Do note there are two sets of doors at level 5, one door is for Singapore passports collection, the other is for PR formalities. Enter the correct door but even if you don’t, the staff will re-direct you.

Only the PR applicant (aka hubby) can be at the counter when documents are verified. I just had to pass my IC to him, sit back, and wait. Lots of citizen spouses like me were hanging back and waiting too. There are other citizen wives waiting as well, in case people are wondering about female SCs sponsoring for foreigner husbands.

I noticed he was the only Caucasian there during the appointment, the rest of the applicants appeared to be of Asian descent. Many applicants were dressed formally, some in suits, but hubby was dressed casually in shorts, shirt, and sandals lol.

I observed that images of his iris & thumbprints were captured. He had to sign some documents and then make payment for his entry permit, re-entry permit & IC.

He was given a temporary IC (a piece of paper) and information on how to collect his physical IC. The appointment concludes just like that in about 30-45 mins or so.

———

Hubby and I are over the moon and this forum has been immensely helpful every step of the way so I’m giving back with my knowledge.

With all the uncertainty out of the window, perhaps he can finally get a job in what he studied in and we can start a family. It never bode well with me to have a baby to improve PR chances.

Thanks for the information and congrats !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 7:55 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Table of content
————

Lengthy post below.

———

CONGRATULATIONS!
wholelottalikes_zpsdrdfjmpq.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sleight

Post by Sleight » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:59 pm

We’ve been applying for LTVP since 2019 but still until this year they still reject our application. My husband is Pr and I am Pinoy on STVP

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Jun 2022 2:39 am

MOCHS wrote:
Table of content
————

Lengthy post below.

Details below.

Me (sponsor)
Female Chinese SC
Early 30s
Degree holder

Spouse
Male Caucasian American
Early 30s
Degree holder
Salary close to $3K
Lives with me

———

Congrats! This was so informative and very well organized. Side note, you’re so much younger than I had in mind haha.

wander54321

Post by wander54321 » Sun, 17 Jul 2022 10:05 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Table of content
————

Lengthy post below.

Details below.

Me (sponsor)
Female Chinese SC
Early 30s
Degree holder

Spouse
Male Caucasian American
Early 30s
Degree holder
Salary close to $3K
Lives with me

———

Congrats MOCHS! I love how detailed your updates are. I applied for PR around the same time you did, but still waiting for the outcome.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Sun, 07 Aug 2022 1:54 pm

Hi all

I finally got a new job but during the hiring process, being worried that my EP may not be approved, I decided to apply for LTVP (sponsored by SC spouse). Eventually both EP and LTVP were approved. I have joined the new company with the EP activated, pending LTVP formalisation

My question is: should I keep my EP or should I convert to LTVP?

I initially thought of not formalising the LTVP but it will be shown in the system as withdrawn, I am not sure if that will affect my PR application with ICA later. Should I go to ICA to explain my situation?

Now if I move to LTVP (with PLOC), I am not sure if the formalisation process will disrupt my new employment since PLOC is only issued a couple of days after LTVP is issued.

Appreciate your advice please
Last edited by sn84 on Sun, 07 Aug 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 08 Aug 2022 10:30 pm

I thought when EP is approved, the LTVP application is automatically withdrawn? Senior members of the forum say EP > LTVP since you still can get your expat package (if any) while you’re on EP.

Even if you take the LTVP, you are issued a temporary LOC that is valid for one month and you still can work with the current company until the PLOC is sent to your email, then update the company with PLOC.

Don’t think rejecting the LTVP has any bearing on PR application. Just don’t book the LTVP appointment and let the LTVP AIP lapse.

Now if you were previously approved for a PR and rejected it, that is a different story altogether.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:56 pm

Table of content
  • Administrative matters after PR (in this post below)
——

Updates:

One week after PR formalities:
- Hubby collected his IC from a SingPost outlet & updated his employer.

- He received mailers (generic & PIN) from SingPass. If you have the SingPass app that is linked to the old FIN, just click “Reset the app” and register with the new PIN, the SingPass will now show the new NRIC number.

- He received letter about CareShield and the premium to pay.

Two weeks after PR formalities:
- I re-did my CPF nomination ‘cos his IC changed. I’m not sure if his old FIN will by “reused” for someone else.

- He received letter about MediShield and premium to pay. CPF could have sent both the CareShield & MediShield at once to save on paper… :P Also means he has to manually top up his Medisave to pay for the premium since there’s virtually nothing in his CPF at the moment.

- Hubby had to personally go down to the bank to update his FIN to NRIC. There was no option to do so on the bank’s app. Make sure to bring passport, IC, and the debit/ATM card linked to the bank account.

Three weeks after PR formalities:
- Got my current insurance agent to recommend an Integrated Shield plan (aka hospitalisation plan) to hubby. Other types of insurances can wait but hospitalisation is of S-tier importance.

- Because he’s American, the insurance company asked him to fill in a form to declare his US tax residency status. Oh well.

Nine weeks after PR formalities:
- The one we’ve been patiently waiting for. Hubby got the letter of exemption from NS. No need to login to the MINDEF website or go down to CMPB at all. Needless to say, the letter is stored with the rest of his PR stuff.

MarkinSG

Post by MarkinSG » Wed, 24 Aug 2022 1:43 pm

MarkinSG wrote:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:59 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for the support on this so far, thought i'd add my timeline as well, hopefully to help others :)

(As an FYI, I was a British EP Holder)

8 February 2021 - Applied for the PMLA (Again, as others have said, highly recommend you do this, takes 5 minutes, and some basic information from the requestor and their SC Spouse)

25 February 2021 - Received the PMLA approval via email.

17th April 2021 - ROM'd and received the Wedding Cert the day before (We had our ceremony as a friends house, so you receive the Wedding Cert the day prior)

May 3 2021 - Submitted the LTVP Application. The data from the PMLA application is pre-loaded into the application, so is a very simple process, takes 10 minutes, with scans of the usual sort of documents as been mentioned in this thread earlier.

May 21 2021 - Received an email to upload further documents (My partner had just started a new job, and they wanted another letter form her companies HR, which we simply uploaded back into the portal)

June 6 2021 - Received the IPA for the LTVP. Scheduled a medical check up with my local clinic for the next day (7th) to go and get blood test and Chest X-ray, asked to come and collect the results on the Friday. This costs around $60, if memory serves.

June 11 2021 - Picked up Medical Results, and scanned them in that evening, to the portal.

June 14 2021 - Received email that the medical report was accepted, and to submit payment ($60)

June 15 2021 - Received confirmation this was received, and all approved. Had to book in a slot to go to the ICA building to collect the LTVP. With slots quite tight, I chose the first available slot.

29 June 2021 - Went to the ICA Building. Documents needed (although it is worth checking with your IPA letter); My Passport, SC Spouses NRIC, Printed copy of the IPA, 1 Passport Photo (To ensure this is recent, as they do check the likeliness!). I had to hand in my EP, and you receive a 1 month LOC with your current employer, to ensure you don't need to stop working. Once they check this and confirm documents are ok, you are asked to wait to pick up your hard copy of the card. All in all, I was in the ICA office for no more than 2 hours, and was very simple.

Now awaiting my PLOC to be sent to me (I did select that I wanted a PLOC from the initial application, it's a check box during your form uploading/application), which I should hear form in the next 3 working days, according to the ICA officer.

Hopefully this helps people, and good luck!
Hi All,

Thought i'd come back and hopefully help others here, I got a couple of questions as to why I changed from EP to LTVP. The main reason was down to my employment, my employer asked if I would be interested to move to LTVP, so I would no longer need sponsored by them under the EP, no other reason really :)

As an update, I have, in the last week, received my PR IPA! I submitted the application on the 18th of January, things that had changed since my first application (which got rejected in around 5 months of application);

- Married to a local spouse, this application was done via my wife as the sponsor
- Change in salary at work, very minimal, but it put me over what I was told is the 'magic' number ($100,000 p/annum)

I hope any of this helps, wishing you all the best of luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Aug 2022 3:18 pm

Congratulations, but to correct a slight anomaly, Your salary only had a small bearing on the application as you said, you used the Family Ties application with your wife as the sponsor. Previously yeah the 100K would be nice IF you were applying using the PTS scheme as you inferred for your 1st rejected application. Under FT scheme, the anchor spouse has to be able to support you. Regardless, congratulations are in order. \:D/ =D>
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers