Singapore Expats

Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP, and subsequent renewal

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 21 May 2021 10:47 pm

xxxibeashleygbs wrote:
Fri, 21 May 2021 8:56 pm
Hi,

My LTVP is approved in principle pending documents ( medical reports and the terms and conditions)

Questions:

1 After i submitted the medical report and it received notice for formalities. Do i need to bring the only the medical report and the terms and conditions?

Or after submitting the medical report they will give me the list of documents i need to submit?

many thanks
So have you submitted the medical report already?

Have you reached the “Approved in Principle (pending payment)” stage yet? That’s usually the last step before you are allowed to make an appointment to go down to get the physical card...

AIP has many stages now: Pending documents -> Documents received -> Pending payment -> AIP

ICA will list down what documents to bring on appointment day so just follow it.

xxxibeashleygbs

Post by xxxibeashleygbs » Sat, 22 May 2021 9:53 am

Did they request for the income tax ?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 22 May 2021 11:10 am

xxxibeashleygbs wrote:
Sat, 22 May 2021 9:53 am
Did they request for the income tax ?
It really depends. What is requested from Person A might not be requested for Person B. It can be past 6 months salary slips or it can be CPF statement for the past 12 months.

Don't worry so much about it. Just follow the list once you get it. It won't be something so difficult to procure.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 May 2021 1:38 pm

I believe in your application you already give permission for ICA to ask relevant ministries for any required information. This would have included IRAS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

xxxibeashleygbs

Post by xxxibeashleygbs » Sun, 23 May 2021 2:29 pm

I see. Because my husband just started working 5 months ago. So we might not meet the requirements. But we already received the IPA pending documents for medical

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 23 May 2021 5:21 pm

Your husband can always attach a letter of employment listing the start date if he can’t provide last 6 months of pay slips. ICA is understanding about that.

You already got the IPA pending medical report from yourself, I doubt you’ll be rejected because of your husband’s salary. So go ahead and submit the medical report unless you have TB or HIV, then maybe it’s a cause for concern...

xxxibeashleygbs

Post by xxxibeashleygbs » Mon, 24 May 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your reassurance! Will keep you posted!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 2:45 pm

Table of content
  • Second LTVP renewal (2021, in this post below)
----------

Update: My husband got his LTVP renewed for two years, yay! Details below.

Changes from last year
Husband switched job & industry, pay is higher than his previous job.
My salary increased a bit, still in the same position.

LTVP Renewal timeline

Whether you're applying for the first time or renewing for the nth time, you should still check the LTVP information on ICA's website... We were caught off guard for some documents that were not requested in hubby's previous applications.

And turns out we renewed a little early... Previously it was recommended to renew 3 months in advance, now the website says it should be renewed at least 2 months before.

Early March 2021: Applied to renew hubby's LTVP.

Less than one week later: Approved in principle (pending documents). This was where we were caught off guard as they requested for hubby's 6 months worth of payslips and letter of employment. These were not requested from hubby the past two times I applied LTVP for him as they usually would be requesting these from the SC spouse...

Would like to thank sms for his advice as my husband was laid off in Aug last year due to COVID and started his new job this year so we did not have 6 months of payslips. He suggested that my husband provide the end of contract letter from his previous company (which would explain why we could not provide 6 months of payslips) and also have the start date listed in his current letter of employment.

We submitted the requested documents and it changed to approved in principle (documents received) the next day after submission.

The day after that, it changed to approved in principle (pending payment).

And the next day after payment, it was finally approved in principle and we made the appointment to get the physical card.

The many layers of AIP were new to us this year. Usually they would be checking quite a lot of documents in person on the appointment day but it has been moved to the AIP (pending documents) stage.

I suspect due to COVID related reasons, they moved the document submission online to reduce physical contact between the staff and the many stacks of documents they handle from the dozens of applicants that enter ICA each day.

Early June 2021: Booked a morning timeslot, brought the requested items stated in the letter. I highly recommend to bring a passport sized photo of the applicant too, even if it's not stated in the letter. More on that later.

When we reached the counter, all the items were in order, and the staff informed us that his pass is now valid for two years which pleasantly surprised us. We'll be married for two years this year, in case anyone wants some stats.

However, the computer system did not receive hubby's latest passport photo which I did submit during the AIP (pending documents) stage. Oh well.

So, the staff directed us to a couple of HDB blocks behind ICA where there were some photography shops that were open. We got hubby's passport photo and returned back to the same counter in ICA to submit the photo. Hubby got his thumbprint, iris, and face re-scanned again.

We were directed to a second counter where we waited about 20 mins to collect his new card. There were plenty of people ahead of us who were also waiting to collect their cards. Officer voided the old card by punching a hole.

That is it. Without the photo hiccup, it would have taken less than an hour. We spent about 1.5 hours there. Lesson learned, always bring passport sized photo whenever you go to ICA. We have so many passport photos in the drawer at home now lol.

Waiting for PLOC to be emailed. (Edit: PLOC was emailed 2 working days later.)
Last edited by MOCHS on Mon, 15 Aug 2022 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 3:59 pm

Excellent post MOCHS! While the ability for 2 year LTVPs has been around for a while, it would seem that the are taking longer to vet for renewals but reducing their annual workload at the same time. Good to know. TYVM!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP, and subsequent renewals

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:21 pm

Last year it took a month to get the AIP for hubby’s LTVP, but that was during CB period. This year it took about a week, it’s quite speedy in my book.

Now I’m a little curious about other people’s profiles who also got a 2 year LTVP.

The other instance I’ve read about 2 year LTVP on this forum was someone applying for the first time and got 2 years LTVP right after getting married. The foreigner spouse had been working in SG for a while before marriage, if I remember correctly.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:57 pm

Thanks mochs for the useful information shared.

Would like to ask you all advice on my case

I (female, late 30s) have been in Singapore for quite some time (I moved around but in total Ive been here about 11 years, the last time I moved back to Singapore was 2014). I am working im banking and under the “Others” kinda ethnic group; hence PR application was rejected. Haven’t reapplied since 2018 as profile has not changed. Been holding EP all this while (with no special expat package)

Long story short, I am about to marry my partner who is a Singaporean citizen (his income level would be above the min threshold).

Recently I’ve been thinking about moving job or even exiting corporate world (saved enough luckily). Headhunters called and the moment I mentioned I am on EP it is the end of the convo haha… So, I am thinking of applying for LTVP (under ICA) after my love and I ROM to have more flexibility and perhaps employers would be more open to my profile. Already applied for PMLA.

My question is: do you think, after ROM, I should apply for LTVP or I should hold on to EP for 1-2 years and then apply for PR (with my husband sponsorship)? The latter option means that I am still dependent on the current employer and I have slim to no chance to move job at this stage but I want to accelerate my career and increase earning power at the same time.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 2:11 pm

sn84 wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:57 pm
Thanks mochs for the useful information shared.

Would like to ask you all advice on my case

I (female, late 30s) have been in Singapore for quite some time (I moved around but in total Ive been here about 11 years, the last time I moved back to Singapore was 2014). I am working im banking and under the “Others” kinda ethnic group; hence PR application was rejected. Haven’t reapplied since 2018 as profile has not changed. Been holding EP all this while (with no special expat package)

Long story short, I am about to marry my partner who is a Singaporean citizen (his income level would be above the min threshold).

Recently I’ve been thinking about moving job or even exiting corporate world (saved enough luckily). Headhunters called and the moment I mentioned I am on EP it is the end of the convo haha… So, I am thinking of applying for LTVP (under ICA) after my love and I ROM to have more flexibility and perhaps employers would be more open to my profile. Already applied for PMLA.

My question is: do you think, after ROM, I should apply for LTVP or I should hold on to EP for 1-2 years and then apply for PR (with my husband sponsorship)? The latter option means that I am still dependent on the current employer and I have slim to no chance to move job at this stage but I want to accelerate my career and increase earning power at the same time.
Usually after 2 years of marriage to SC/PR, if he sponsors the spouse for PR it is easier than EP-> PR.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 4:13 pm

My husband never worked in SG before we got married so he never held an EP. I can’t comment on whether EP or LTVP is better.

But if you read the rest of the forum, they recommend staying on EP as long as possible. So if you’re happy with your company, then just stay on EP. Or if your company suddenly retrenches you and no one else is hiring then you’ll have to switch to LTVP.

If you want to change jobs though, maybe LTVP and PLOC could be enticing to employers since PLOC holders don’t count towards the foreign worker quota, company does not need to pay foreign worker levy, and no need to pay CPF since not PR or citizen.

Do take note many employers seem to be unaware of PLOC and they need to be educated about it... And somehow I’m not sure why companies appear to offer PLOC holders with lower salaries. Maybe sms can enlighten us about this since he has hiring experience.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks SF and mochs for your replies

My dilemma now is that if I hold onto this EP, it is very likely I will have to stay on with this employer for another 2 years (assuming my PR is approved after 2 years of marriage). That is the opportunity cost for a job move (I am not concerned about being retrenched but my direct boss’ management style is affecting my mental health - that’s another topic on its own)

Reading this forum and some posts on hardwarezone, I really can’t conclude if EP or LTVP (sponsored by SC spouse) is better when it comes to (a) PR conversion and (ii) job move. I think nobody can say for sure except the ICA officers or policy makers but I’m more than grateful to hear from forum members…

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 4:54 pm

sn84 wrote:
Fri, 18 Jun 2021 4:42 pm
Thanks SF and mochs for your replies

My dilemma now is that if I hold onto this EP, it is very likely I will have to stay on with this employer for another 2 years (assuming my PR is approved after 2 years of marriage). That is the opportunity cost for a job move (I am not concerned about being retrenched but my direct boss’ management style is affecting my mental health - that’s another topic on its own)

Reading this forum and some posts on hardwarezone, I really can’t conclude if EP or LTVP (sponsored by SC spouse) is better when it comes to (a) PR conversion and (ii) job move. I think nobody can say for sure except the ICA officers or policy makers but I’m more than grateful to hear from forum members…
Option 1 : LTVP (From Spouse) -> PR is easy and better.
Option 2 EP -> u can apply on your own or spouse sponsor. Spouse sponsor is surely better and same as Option 1 (after 2 years of marriage)
LTVP -> LOC should not be any issue also.