Singapore Expats

Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP, and subsequent renewals

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 7:24 pm

PR via family ties scheme is supposedly easier. Again, I don’t know much about it since I’ve not applied PR for my spouse yet.

Jobs wise, I would feel LTVP with PLOC would be better since there’s no foreigner quota. Some companies could be generous and sponsor you an EP instead. Who knows?

So if you want to change jobs badly and the companies don’t have any foreigner quota available, then get the LTVP and PLOC.

Option A: Stay in your current job & hold onto the EP -> Wait 2 years of marriage -> Apply PR via spouse sponsorship

Option B: Get LTVP & PLOC and change jobs -> Wait 2 years of marriage -> Apply PR via spouse sponsorship

You still have to wait a couple of years of marriage either way.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks SF and mochs again for your time and replies, much appreciated!

I am not rushing to get PR to be honest cause I know how difficult it is given me being one of the “others” ethnic group. I will wait for at least 2 years after my marriage to apply.

I am more concerned about switching to LTVP (and get PLOC if MoM approved or ask employer or future employer to get LOC for me). If LTVP holders doesn’t increase employability (maybe from employer’s perspective: why would they hire someone whose visa needs to be renewed yearly and depends on his/her marriage stability) and if companies tend to offer lower pay to LTVP (I’m not enjoying any expat package btw) like what mochs said then….there’s no point for me to switch to LTVP now. Meanwhile, I am still actively applying for jobs, but I can see my possibility of landing a role while holding EP is super tough right now especially when I am in banking. It’s been really disappointing to see headhunters/HR turn away the moment they know I am an EP holder 😐
Last edited by sn84 on Fri, 18 Jun 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 7:55 pm

Btw, SMS - would you mind sharing your view if you pass by this topic please? 😁 cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 9:18 pm

sn84, I just saw this. I have little to add as MOCHS & singaporeflyer have pretty much well and truly covered all variables. As I retired not long before Covid hit and the changes to the LoC as well, I don't know how hard it is currently to get an LoC approved. The big change is now one has to be somewhat qualified for the position whereas, previously, it didn't matter and also the salaries were somewhat smaller then as well.

I'm inclined to think that staying on the EP is better, but as noted, I've not practiced in the past 28 months since retiring. Based on what I've gleaned, however, is it may well be better to go on an PLoC after ROM. You current employer won't benefit one way or the other as you are already on an EP so not subject to quota limitations. However, it may benefit you being under a PLOC as that way you can offer to a new employer either option, but be prepared to have to educate the employer/HR on the PLOC. Unfortunately we are under trying times and a lot of old protocol is having to be upset and the government keeps chasing it own tail with covid. A new employer tomorrow may well be gone a week later as more and more are on the fence about staying here.

Before you jump jobs, do some research into the potential new company......

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:16 pm

If you do apply for LTVP, just make sure you check ‘yes’ for “do you want to be considered for PLOC?”

You’ll just get the PLOC email sent to you after you get the LTVP card. PLOC is not tied to the employer and it’s valid for the entire duration of the LTVP. The employer does not even have to do anything, they just need to read the PLOC, and go to MOM website to indicate they are hiring a LTVP-PLOC holder. If they no longer employ you, they just need to inform MOM about it and your PLOC is still yours and valid.

Whereas for LOC, the employer still has to go MOM website to apply it for you. If company retrenches you, the LOC is cancelled and the next company that hires you has to apply it for you. So PLOC is better than LOC in this aspect.

I have read on this forum that there are some companies are good to PLOC holders and will pay them the same as their peers, even in high paying jobs. You’ll just have to educate and convince the potential employer. My husband is paid around the same as his colleagues. So not all is doom and gloom.

LTVP duration can vary from 1 to 2 years (maybe 3?), possibly 5 years if on LTVP+ so your fears of the employer “waiting for someone’s pass to be renewed yearly” is unfounded.

And LTVP is not tied to marriage stability (a bit hard to quantify that IMO), it leans towards to your spouse’s ability to support you since they are sponsoring your pass. Your spouse has to be the one who remains employed in order to prove they can provide for both of you.

sn84

Post by sn84 » Fri, 18 Jun 2021 11:46 pm

Thanks sms, mochs, sf for all your replies, truly appreciate that! That’s why I like this sub-forum so much - been reading and learning a lot over the years even though I don’t post much.

I take note of your advice and I am gonna touch base with some headhunters and my bank’s HR advisor before making the decision to stay on EP or convert to LTVP. Hope I can come back soon with a positive update (a new job). Otherwise, ces’t la vie!

Thanks again. Stay safe!

mrs5263

Post by mrs5263 » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:48 am

Has anyone ever successfully obtained PLOC long after you received your LTVP?

Rsnn

Post by Rsnn » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:42 pm

Hi,
Do I need to bring my husband for my Renewal Completion of my LTVP?

Thanks in advance.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:03 pm

mrs5263 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:48 am
Why wasn’t “Yes” checked for “I want to be considered for PLOC” during the LTVP application? It would save on the headache.

You can try to apply and let us know the outcome. You’ll have to be patient.
Rsnn wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:42 pm
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Read your document carefully on what you need to bring... it’s very obvious. And did you read this topic at all? Answer is also there.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2021 10:02 pm

MOCHS, and now you know why some of us get a little antsy at times! LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mrs5263

Post by mrs5263 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:18 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 9:03 pm
mrs5263 wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:48 am
Why wasn’t “Yes” checked for “I want to be considered for PLOC” during the LTVP application? It would save on the headache.

You can try to apply and let us know the outcome. You’ll have to be patient.
Rsnn wrote:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 5:42 pm
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Read your document carefully on what you need to bring... it’s very obvious. And did you read this topic at all? Answer is also there.
didn’t know about the existence of PLOC or what it was back then. And I just found the answer, got my PLOC one day after requesting it to MOM! 5 months after receiving my LTVP. Wow didnt think this was possible.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:25 pm

mrs5263 wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:18 am
didn’t know about the existence of PLOC or what it was back then. And I just found the answer, got my PLOC one day after requesting it to MOM! 5 months after receiving my LTVP. Wow didnt think this was possible.
That’s very unusual. During LTVP application and renewal, they will always whether you want it or not. It’s one of the last few questions so maybe you overlooked it. Just be more careful next time.

mrs5263

Post by mrs5263 » Thu, 24 Jun 2021 7:07 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 2:25 pm
mrs5263 wrote:
Thu, 24 Jun 2021 9:18 am
That’s very unusual. During LTVP application and renewal, they will always whether you want it or not. It’s one of the last few questions so maybe you overlooked it. Just be more careful next time.
yeah I was pretty surprised as well but the prospective employer I'm talking to kind of insisted that it's possible because they checked with ICA. So I called MOM, and someone got back to me via email, asked me to fill in a form, and the next morning I received my PLOC.

MarkinSG

Post by MarkinSG » Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:59 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the support on this so far, thought i'd add my timeline as well, hopefully to help others :)

(As an FYI, I was a British EP Holder)

8 February 2021 - Applied for the PMLA (Again, as others have said, highly recommend you do this, takes 5 minutes, and some basic information from the requestor and their SC Spouse)

25 February 2021 - Received the PMLA approval via email.

17th April 2021 - ROM'd and received the Wedding Cert the day before (We had our ceremony as a friends house, so you receive the Wedding Cert the day prior)

May 3 2021 - Submitted the LTVP Application. The data from the PMLA application is pre-loaded into the application, so is a very simple process, takes 10 minutes, with scans of the usual sort of documents as been mentioned in this thread earlier.

May 21 2021 - Received an email to upload further documents (My partner had just started a new job, and they wanted another letter form her companies HR, which we simply uploaded back into the portal)

June 6 2021 - Received the IPA for the LTVP. Scheduled a medical check up with my local clinic for the next day (7th) to go and get blood test and Chest X-ray, asked to come and collect the results on the Friday. This costs around $60, if memory serves.

June 11 2021 - Picked up Medical Results, and scanned them in that evening, to the portal.

June 14 2021 - Received email that the medical report was accepted, and to submit payment ($60)

June 15 2021 - Received confirmation this was received, and all approved. Had to book in a slot to go to the ICA building to collect the LTVP. With slots quite tight, I chose the first available slot.

29 June 2021 - Went to the ICA Building. Documents needed (although it is worth checking with your IPA letter); My Passport, SC Spouses NRIC, Printed copy of the IPA, 1 Passport Photo (To ensure this is recent, as they do check the likeliness!). I had to hand in my EP, and you receive a 1 month LOC with your current employer, to ensure you don't need to stop working. Once they check this and confirm documents are ok, you are asked to wait to pick up your hard copy of the card. All in all, I was in the ICA office for no more than 2 hours, and was very simple.

Now awaiting my PLOC to be sent to me (I did select that I wanted a PLOC from the initial application, it's a check box during your form uploading/application), which I should hear form in the next 3 working days, according to the ICA officer.

Hopefully this helps people, and good luck!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 29 Jun 2021 7:31 pm

Congrats MarkinSG.

Out of curiosity, are you able to share how many years validity did you get for your LTVP and why you chose not to stay on EP?

There are some readers here who are not sure on whether to continue with their EP or switch to LTVP after marriage to a SC/PR and your input could help them.