Singapore Expats

Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP and renewals, then finally PR!

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 23 Aug 2019 8:37 pm

Table of content
  • PMLA & initial LTVP (2019, in this post below)
----------

This forum has been helpful with providing info about LTVP application so I thought I would contribute my husband's experience here.

Disclaimer: What works for us may not work for you since all LTVP applications are approved on a case by case basis. Also my post is gonna be wordy since there are a lot of details.

Me
Female Chinese SC
Late 20s
Degree holder
Around 3.3k monthly salary, working for more than 5 years
Staying with parents in their "4 room flat and above" HDB. The "highest" flat type listed on the ICA website is "4 room flat and above" so even if you live in a 5 room, executive mansionette, or executive apartment, you are grouped under "4 room flat and above". I realised not many forum users mentioned their housing situation so I thought I would share mine, if it helps.

Spouse
Male Caucasian American
Late 20s
Degree holder
He was employed in a IT related position during PMLA application. Subsequently quit his job to come to Singapore to marry me and was unemployed during LTVP application.
Staying with me in my parents flat.

We have been in a relationship for 10 years before applying for marriage.

First things first, set a wedding date before you apply for PMLA. You can choose your wedding date via fortune teller if you're superstitious or you can choose any date you fancy. Don't anyhow apply for PMLA and then rush to marry within the year of the PMLA's validity. Wedding planning is already stressful enough and rushing it might make it worse.

But if you wanna rush, no one will stop you lah. Just be mentally prepared for the many things you have to juggle and prepare.

Timeline of husband's road to PMLA & LTVP

Early-Dec 2018: Applied for PMLA on ICA website about half a year before our wedding date. Since the elgibility lasts for a year, I saw no harm in applying early. You can choose to apply one or two months before your wedding but take note that ICA takes 2-4 weeks to process the PMLA.

Mid-Dec 2018: PMLA approved within 10 working days (I didn't count weekends). It was a great Christmas present, that's for sure. ICA physically mailed the Letter of LTVP Eligibility (LLE) to both of us. I got the physical LLE within two days. My husband received the LLE in the US some time after New Year's Day of 2019.

Take note if you need to attend any marriage preparation programme (MPP) and marriage support programme (MSP) in the LLE. We weren't required to attend any but was strongly recommended to do so.

Needless to say, keep your LLE in a safe place as you need to input the LLE number during your LTVP application. The number is the same on both copies that are mailed out.

[Feel free to skip the next few paragraphs if you're not getting married in Singapore]

1st June 2019: Husband arrived in Singapore with 90 days short term visit pass. He had an onward ticket to a nearby SEA country as per ICA's guidelines. Keep the white D/E card in a safe place because you need the D/E number when you apply for LTVP.

2nd June 2019: Met our wedding solemniser as she wanted to meet both of us in person and we filed for notice of marriage on the ROM website on the same day. Do note that for SC-foreigner marriages, one of you MUST be present in Singapore for 15 consecutive days before you file for notice of marriage. In this case, I fulfilled that requirement since I have not travelled out of Singapore for months. We signed up for the MPP course since it's free.

Also, the earliest date you can marry is 21 days after filing for notice of marriage. The ROM website has a handy calender that can help you with that if you're unsure.

Not all solemnisers are like mine that want to meet both parties in person. I have read that some solemnisers just email the endorsed Invitation to Solemnise letter without meeting the couple first. So it all depends on the solemniser.

I believe if you're marrying in the ROM premises itself, you don't need to look for a solemniser and you will be assigned one? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

28th June 2019: Attended the MPP at ROM in the morning. They will issue a cert with the couple's names when you're done attending the programme. We collected our marriage documents after the MPP. We chose not to attend the MSP since we have to pay for it.

If your spouse is not well-versed in English, please arrange an interpreter during the collection of your marriage documents because both parties are required to recite an oath at the counter in front of the ROM officer. The oath is extremely wordy and full of legal terms.

[You may continue reading from here if you are not marrying in Singapore]

FYI, if your spouse has 30 days short term visit pass, please apply for extension on the ICA website.

30th June 2019: Got married!

1st July 2019: Applied for LTVP. If you have difficulties trying to type in the D/E number which is printed as XXXX-XXXX on the card, omit the hyphen and just type in XXXXXXXX. It took me a few tries for the system to recognize that the D/E number was valid.

One of the questions will ask if the spouse wishes to work in SG or not. If you select yes, MOM will let you know whether the pre-approved letter of consent (PLOC) is approved or not if your LTVP is successful and after you collect the LTVP card.

15th July 2019: Received the in-principle approval in 10 working days (I didn't count weekends). I was prepared to wait 6 weeks and was surprised by the speedy outcome. Paid for the issuance fee and made the earliest LTVP appointment online. We decided not to walk in due to high chance of being rejected. As my dad said, if everyone who urgently wanted their passes walked in without an appointment, ICA will be overwhelmed. If you wanna walk in anyway, go ahead and see if you're lucky.

Take this time to get all your required documents in order. You do NOT need any extra documents that are not on the list. I will explain more later.

17th July 2019: I accompanied my husband for the medical check up at one of the SATA clinics. We were second in line and his blood collection, X-ray, and doctor's consultation were completed within 30 minutes. Prepare to wait if you arrive later because a long line formed behind us. The check up costs about $57 and they just want to check if you have TB and HIV.

Remember to print & bring the medical form, the in-principle approval letter, and your spouse's passport when you go to the clinic.

19th July 2019: Medical report was ready within 2 working days and my husband collected it from the clinic.

Late Aug 2019: We booked the first appointment of the day and were called on time to go to the counter to verify our documents.

True enough, they only wanted the documents on the list. Nothing more. I actually gave two extra months of payslip and the makcik at the counter was super nice about it and said, "Later when we file, it would be a bit thick. I return these two months to you." I liked the makcik, she's very friendly.

If you're unsure on how to fill in the information and dates on the documents like Form 14(B), you may leave them blank. They will still check and ask you to fill in the correct info. We actually wrote the date the LTVP was approved in-principle but the date should be the day you collect the LTVP card. So we followed the makcik's instructions by striking off the old date, wrote the new date, and counter-signed.

I did bring extra documents like our highest qualifications and my husband's birth certificate but they were not requested at all so I did not present them. I previously asked in this thread on whether I should bring them and I did just to be safe. Never hurts to be cautious but it seems ICA only wants the items on the list.

After all the documents were verified, the makcik proceeded to scan my husband's thumbprints. She then told us to wait 45 to 60 mins for the card to be printed. Feel free to go across the road to grab some food or wait in the waiting area with everyone else.

We waited and around the 45 min mark, our number was called and my husband received his LTVP card. Yay!

Husband's PLOC from MOM was emailed to him the next day so now he can finally start his job hunt. Anyone have lobang? =P

PR is very far from our minds right now. I'll wait for him to have a stable job first with 2-3 years of tax assessments before we consider it. Meanwhile, I can look around for resale flats since we can buy them under the non-citizen spouse scheme.

----------

Anyway, I have come across some threads on whether they should apply PMLA or not. Personally I feel that if you never apply at all because you're afraid of rejection, the answer will always be no. If you apply, there is a chance it could be yes. If I remember correctly, applying for PMLA is free so just apply provided you are able to fulfill the requirements...

I personally know an acquaintance of mine who is a female minority-race SC in her 20s who was a fresh graduate and applied for PMLA & LTVP about 2-3 years ago when she just married her male minority-race spouse. The way she applied it was interesting. The MPP course actually suggested that they apply PMLA one day before the wedding and apply LTVP one day after the wedding. The outcome was the PMLA was rejected but the LTVP was approved. Her husband is currently on an E-pass and she has two kids now so it's a happy ever after for her.

Like I said at the start of the post, each application is different and your mileage may vary (YMMV) so good luck to anyone out there in the same position as me. I know it can be rather daunting as you anxiously wait for an outcome but just be patient and don't worry so much. Thanks for reading and I hope this post is useful to anyone applying for PMLA-LTVP.
Last edited by MOCHS on Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Timeline of my husband's PMLA & LTVP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Aug 2019 10:41 pm

Nice write-up and congratulations.

The step-by-step will be a great assistant to those who come looking for information. In fact, I'm going to make it a sticky so it stays on top of this forum.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Davi0123

Post by Davi0123 » Fri, 11 Oct 2019 6:25 pm

Hi may I ask what does original payslip means? My wife ltvp was approved and we were preparing the document. Just wondering how do you provide ur original payslip. As my payslip are usually accessed through PAC@GOV pdf format. Thx

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Oct 2019 8:35 pm

If that is the case, it should state computer generated, no signature required. Obviously you should have the soft copy PDF as a backup, just print out an original of the soft copy. (not a copy of the printed copy).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alphadvance

Post by alphadvance » Mon, 24 Feb 2020 7:57 pm

Replying back to this post as it has helped me very much.
Hope to supplement more information.

I am a Singapore Citizen, My wife non-citizen SEA-asian.
Both of us graduates with full time jobs in our respective countries.

She applied for Frequent Traveller Programme in Aug 18, approved in days and just need to do verification at ICA.

With that she kept a part of the DE card stapled into her passport (this DE card is quite important in applying for the LTVP later, i learnt this the hard way where i did the whole application and didn't have the DE card, thankfully she did the Frequent Traveller Programme.)

Somehow ICA assumes after ROM, that my wife would be staying with me all the way in Singapore while we await the LTVP, basically ensure u keep the same DE departure card all the way until final approval of the LTVP, thankfully we did the frequent traveller programme and was able to use that same DE card number.

With ICA's assumption that my wife stays with me (and not having a job or income in Singapore), they ask me silly questions like where is she staying? which i replied her country and they were shocked (not sure why, considering i need the LTVP first for apply a job for her in SG).

They also had some issues tele-ing the passport entry in the final approval as my wife flown in 2 separate weekends just to complete this LTVP (without quit-ing her job and be useless in Singapore). Possibility due to the DE card issue again.

Just be prepared for some hiccups as the forms listed on the website does not tally with all correspondences sent. I had to do the initial application for about 3 times (no draft fyi)

Our overall journey to LTVP:

Did pre-marriage assessment(PMLA) 1 year before ROM in Sep 18, approved in Nov 18
PMLA expired by Nov 19 (didn't know there was a 1 year expiry).

ROM in mid Nov 19 and immediately applied LTVP (without PMLA).
3 weeks later requested to come down to verify documents, salary, edu certs, marriage cert etc.
4 weeks later, in-principle approval given where she did her medical assessment overseas.

Flown in the final time, submit the medical forms, copy of my NRIC, showed the DE card.
The LTVP green card issued after 3 hours there, but only valid for 1 year. GAH.

grizzlybear10

Post by grizzlybear10 » Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:50 am

Hi all, I am Singapore Citizen Indian male, studied here since pri sch, completed NS, studied in established local UNI and working full time in MNC. Fresh grad now and currently my basic is 3.6k and gross salary is ~4k. My parents are SC also & i'm staying with them.

I would like to apply for Pre-Marriage Letter Approval and then LVTP for my indian gf currently in India (also well-educated). We plan to get married next year. What are my chances given my background? Thanks!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:56 am

grizzlybear10 wrote:
Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:50 am
Hi all, I am Singapore Citizen Indian male, studied here since pri sch, completed NS, studied in established local UNI and working full time in MNC. Fresh grad now and currently my basic is 3.6k and gross salary is ~4k. My parents are SC also & i'm staying with them.

I would like to apply for Pre-Marriage Letter Approval and then LVTP for my indian gf currently in India (also well-educated). We plan to get married next year. What are my chances given my background? Thanks!
You need to apply and check as salary MAY be slightly on the border line?

The application will be ONLY be fully assessed based on you and your future wife.

Parents are SC and you staying with them, will not add/reduce the chances.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:28 am

Table of content
  • First LTVP renewal (2020, in this post below)
----------

Update: My husband just got his LTVP renewed for another year. More details below.

Changes from last year
Husband is now employed with his PLOC/LOC
I bought a house (HDB)

My salary and job remained the same.

LTVP Renewal timeline

ICA's website says "For Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) holders, please renew your LTVP at least 10 days before the expiration of your current LTVP."

Since my husband is employed on the PLOC/LOC, MOM's website says the LTVP has to be valid for at least 3 months before the PLOC/LOC can be renewed.

Based on that, since my husband's initial pass expires this August, I figured I could start the renewal around May. Then PM Lee announced the extension of circuit breaker (CB) around end April and I had a hunch that the approval process might take a longer time so I decided to start the renewal pretty much straightaway.

End April 2020: Applied to renew his LTVP. Since the photography shops were closed, my husband just went to those self-service photo taking booths to get his picture taken. It was accepted by ICA.

End May 2020: Received in-principle approval exactly one month after I applied for renewal during the CB period.

The documents they requested are much lesser than the first application. No medical examination was required for the renewal.

Mid June 2020: Booked the earliest timeslot again. I didn't bring any extra unnecessary documents this time, I just followed what was stated on the list. This time because of the COVID-19 situation, the officers were really strict that you must have an appointment before you enter the building. Please save a screenshot of your appointment timeslot to show to the officer so you don't hold up the line. You can forget about walking in during this period of time.

Once again, we proceeded to the first counter to have our documents checked. We waited for a short while before getting called to the second counter where the formalities were done. My husband got his thumbprint re-scanned and for the first time, he had his iris and face(?) scanned as well. It was the only time they allowed him to remove his mask to do so.

Then we were told to wait at the third counter where we collected his new card. The officer voided his old card by punching a hole in it.

That's pretty much it, we didn't wait that long this time and spent about 45 minutes in total at ICA which was not as packed as before due to the COVID-19 measures. Based on the other people around me, I surmise that they got their passes renewed during CB as well?

Waiting for his PLOC to be emailed and it might arrive tomorrow or so, based on previous experience. (Edit: It was indeed emailed the next day, just received it.)
Last edited by MOCHS on Mon, 15 Aug 2022 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Timeline of my husband's initial PMLA & LTVP, and subsequent renewal

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:27 pm

Thank you MOCHS, This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum actually work. I am sure some of our readers will find this very useful. Glad it went smoothly.

wander54321

Post by wander54321 » Mon, 16 Nov 2020 3:13 pm

Would like to thank MOCHS for sharing the timeline of her husband's PMLA and LTVP process. Not only was it a super detailed guide for me, but also gave me some form of assurance to not panic unnecessarily (I tend to get a bit kancheong, it's a bad habit).

Sharing my experience here - not very different from MOCHS' or alphadvance's. Probably may shed some light on a first-timer's LTVP application timeline during Covid-19 times.

Brief Profile
Spouse - Male, Indian, SC
Me - Female, Chinese, Malaysian

We are both degree holders, in our late 20s / early 30s, and have worked for at least 5 years continuously in our respective countries when we started the PMLA and LTVP application processes. We have also known and dated 5 years when we started the PMLA application.

Application Timeline

15 Dec 2019 - applied for PMLA. Application was very straightforward and took us less than 10 minutes to complete. No supporting document submission required.

27 Dec 2019 - received email stating that PMLA was approved and a soft copy LLE was issued :D LLE is valid for a year.

1 January 2020 - spouse (then-fiance) received hard copy of the LLE in the mail.

We filed for Notice of Marriage in January but had to cancel it when both SG and MY decided to close their borders due to Covid-19. We emailed ROM about our situation and they were nice to help us cancel our Notice of Marriage (even though it's stated on ROM website that this can't be done, but perhaps this exception was due to extraordinary circumstances ie. Covid-19) and refunded the fees we paid. Meanwhile, we waited for both governments to work out SOPs for essential travelling.

5 September 2020 - re-filed a new Notice of Marriage. By this time the RGL and PCA were established but no clear SOPs or leeway for spouse-to-be or travelling-for-marriage yet. We decided not to wait any longer - as LLE is expiring around Christmas 2020 - and tried our luck applying for me to exit MY and enter SG. Thankfully this went through without us having to change dates.

Also worth noting is that ROM has extended the validity of the Notice of Marriage from 3 months to 1 year. Meaning you can now book your wedding date a year ahead.

9-10 October 2020 - did VD/SD at ROM and got married the next day.

13 October 2020 - submitted LTVP application. Application wasn't as tedious or difficult as I thought it would be, took us just 10 minutes to complete + upload supporting documents + double check.

19-20 October 2020 - applied to extend my STVP as I was advised to do so 10 days before the original expiry date. STVP extension was approved the next day with 89 days validity.

5 November 2020 - found out via Status Enquiry that LTVP application was approved in-principle (less than 3 weeks), all that's needed now is the medical report.

12-13 November 2020 - submitted medical report, which went through successfully the next day. Paid the issuance fee and immediately booked an appointment to complete formalities at ICA. There are a lot of appointment slots available - pretty much every working day had empty slots.

16 November 2020 - we booked the 830am slot but arrived around 810am. The lady at the Self-Service Kiosk said that's fine and helped us get our queue ticket. After reading the experiences shared on the forum, I decided to only bring the documents stated on my in-principle approval letter. True enough, that's all the officer needed.

Was told by the officer that I've been granted an LTVP with 1 year validity, then collected the card at another counter shortly after. The whole process at ICA Building took us less than 45 minutes. Now patiently waiting at home for PLOC from MOM (if approved).

---

Would like to again thank MOCHS and alphadvance for sharing their experiences here!

yueyang.tan

Post by yueyang.tan » Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:20 pm

wander54321 wrote:
Mon, 16 Nov 2020 3:13 pm
Would like to thank MOCHS for sharing the timeline of her husband's PMLA and LTVP process. Not only was it a super detailed guide for me, but also gave me some form of assurance to not panic unnecessarily (I tend to get a bit kancheong, it's a bad habit).

Sharing my experience here - not very different from MOCHS' or alphadvance's. Probably may shed some light on a first-timer's LTVP application timeline during Covid-19 times.

Brief Profile

We are both degree holders, in our late 20s / early 30s, and have worked for at least 5 years continuously in our respective countries when we started the PMLA and LTVP application processes. We have also known and dated 5 years when we started the PMLA application.

Application Timeline

15 Dec 2019 - applied for PMLA. Application was very straightforward and took us less than 10 minutes to complete. No supporting document submission required.

27 Dec 2019 - received email stating that PMLA was approved and a soft copy LLE was issued :D LLE is valid for a year.

1 January 2020 - spouse (then-fiance) received hard copy of the LLE in the mail.

We filed for Notice of Marriage in January but had to cancel it when both SG and MY decided to close their borders due to Covid-19. We emailed ROM about our situation and they were nice to help us cancel our Notice of Marriage (even though it's stated on ROM website that this can't be done, but perhaps this exception was due to extraordinary circumstances ie. Covid-19) and refunded the fees we paid. Meanwhile, we waited for both governments to work out SOPs for essential travelling.

5 September 2020 - re-filed a new Notice of Marriage. By this time the RGL and PCA were established but no clear SOPs or leeway for spouse-to-be or travelling-for-marriage yet. We decided not to wait any longer - as LLE is expiring around Christmas 2020 - and tried our luck applying for me to exit MY and enter SG. Thankfully this went through without us having to change dates.

Also worth noting is that ROM has extended the validity of the Notice of Marriage from 3 months to 1 year. Meaning you can now book your wedding date a year ahead.

13 October 2020 - submitted LTVP application. Application wasn't as tedious or difficult as I thought it would be, took us just 10 minutes to complete + upload supporting documents + double check.

19-20 October 2020 - applied to extend my STVP as I was advised to do so 10 days before the original expiry date. STVP extension was approved the next day with 89 days validity.

5 November 2020 - found out via Status Enquiry that LTVP application was approved in-principle (less than 3 weeks), all that's needed now is the medical report.

12-13 November 2020 - submitted medical report, which went through successfully the next day. Paid the issuance fee and immediately booked an appointment to complete formalities at ICA. There are a lot of appointment slots available - pretty much every working day had empty slots.

16 November 2020 - we booked the 830am slot but arrived around 810am. The lady at the Self-Service Kiosk said that's fine and helped us get our queue ticket. After reading the experiences shared on the forum, I decided to only bring the documents stated on my in-principle approval letter. True enough, that's all the officer needed.

Was told by the officer that I've been granted an LTVP with 1 year validity, then collected the card at another counter shortly after. The whole process at ICA Building took us less than 45 minutes. Now patiently waiting at home for PLOC from MOM (if approved).

---

Would like to again thank MOCHS and alphadvance for sharing their experiences here!

Hey, just wondering when you apply for your ltvp, the ica website stated that the sponsor have to submit 12 months cpf and 3 years income tax. But when I applied today there isn’t a section for those two. Is it the same for everyone?

Ypym

Post by Ypym » Wed, 25 Nov 2020 2:44 pm

yueyang.tan wrote:
Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:20 pm
wander54321 wrote:

Brief Profile

Application Timeline

---

Hey, just wondering when you apply for your ltvp, the ica website stated that the sponsor have to submit 12 months cpf and 3 years income tax. But when I applied today there isn’t a section for those two. Is it the same for everyone?
When waiting for the in-principal approval(IPA), no need to submit, once IPA is given(pending documents), u will be given a documents list of what to submit. After submission, it will move to IPA (documents submitted). After the documents are ok, it will move to IPA (Pending completion of formalities).

yueyang.tan

Post by yueyang.tan » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 8:54 pm

Ypym wrote:
Wed, 25 Nov 2020 2:44 pm
yueyang.tan wrote:
wander54321 wrote:

Brief Profile

Application Timeline

---

When waiting for the in-principal approval(IPA), no need to submit, once IPA is given(pending documents), u will be given a documents list of what to submit. After submission, it will move to IPA (documents submitted). After the documents are ok, it will move to IPA (Pending completion of formalities).

Hey, thanks!!! Today I just received the in principal approval (pending documents) but it requires me to submit the “Terms and condition of ltvp pass form” only.

After submitted that form, and it became approved-in-principle (documents received). Mine didn’t ask me to do any payments, or go for any medical checkup or never prompt me for any other documents. Is it the same as yours?? Is it I just have to wait?

Ms EJ21

Post by Ms EJ21 » Mon, 05 Apr 2021 9:55 am

yueyang.tan wrote:
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 8:54 pm
Ypym wrote:
Wed, 25 Nov 2020 2:44 pm
yueyang.tan wrote:

Hey, thanks!!! Today I just received the in principal approval (pending documents) but it requires me to submit the “Terms and condition of ltvp pass form” only.

After submitted that form, and it became approved-in-principle (documents received). Mine didn’t ask me to do any payments, or go for any medical checkup or never prompt me for any other documents. Is it the same as yours?? Is it I just have to wait?

HELLO! Would like to check how long you waited or how many wks is your AIP(Documents received) ? mine was like that since last week monday, i havent done medical checkups to and havent paid issuance fee yet.

Thank you

xxxibeashleygbs

Post by xxxibeashleygbs » Fri, 21 May 2021 8:56 pm

yueyang.tan wrote:
wander54321 wrote:

Brief Profile

Application Timeline

---

Hi,

My LTVP is approved in principle pending documents ( medical reports and the terms and conditions)

Questions:

1 After i submitted the medical report and it received notice for formalities. Do i need to bring the only the medical report and the terms and conditions?

Or after submitting the medical report they will give me the list of documents i need to submit?

many thanks