Singapore Expats Forum

Career in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

S

Career in Singapore

Postby S » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:25 am

Hi

I came to Singapore at the end of January of this year to join my husband who's working on EP. I hold a DP. I have excellent educational background. I joined a leading multinational bank after my graduation in business admin when i was in my home country. However, my work experience is less than 2 years and my first attempt in GMAT was rather frustrating. So, I have very lil chance of getting admission to the MBA program of NTU. Now, I am looking for a job in banking. However, the employers r saying that they won't recruit someone non-resident.
Can anyone tell me whether there's any potential for me in Singapore in terms of finding a decent job? Ot tell me how can I spend my time and energy effectively/productively in Singapore?

Thanks.
-S

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 1:17 pm

Hi S,

If you have a good enducation background and good salary record, maybe you can consider to apply for PR? Once you have PR, you can apply any job in Signapore.

You can get more information from the link below

www.smcmc.com

Good luck

bkchu

chujai

Postby bkchu » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 5:17 pm

Hi S,

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I moved to Singapore because of my husband's job relocation. I had an excellent educational background in one of the top US universities and 4 years of experience in a global bank. I was quite frustrated the first two months when I arrived here, because the job market seems to be weaker than i expected. I started to look for jobs within local banks instead of global i-banks, and lucky enough I received an offer last week. Pay is of course a lot lower than what I used to make if u covert it back to USD, however, the number is very decent provided that Singapore's cost of living is much lower. So my advices is, don't waste your time in i-banks, most of them only have a small presence in Singapore (compare to HK or Japan), also keep an eye on local firms such as DBS or UOB etc.

S

Thanks

Postby S » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:44 am

Hi Jean:

Thanks a lot! We'll think of applying for PR.

bkchu:
Congrats! I really hope I'd have something very soon. I'm checking out the Saturday Straits and applying to the jobs relevant to my qualifications. Have Already faced an interview with citi, with no luck. How long did it take for you? Is it true that networking is important to get a job in banks? I'm really frustrated. :(

bkchu

Postby bkchu » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:50 am

Hi S,

I got my interview via a local headhunter here. I've met tons of headhunters but so far this one is the only helpful one. If you don't mind to tell me more about your working background and what kind of jobs you are looking for, I can help to distribute your resume around. My husband works in a bank also and he knows quit a bit of people, and I can also give you some headhunters info. Shoot me an email at bkchu@excite.com.