Singapore Expats

Please help - how can I stay?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Bee

Please help - how can I stay?

Post by Bee » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 9:12 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help with a bit of advice?

I arrived here in December from Australia to join my partner who has a 2 yr contract here. My passport was stamped for 90 days on entry and I thought that would be plenty of time to find a job. Unfortunatly my attemps so far have been unsuccessful, despite having a great work history and applying for 30+ jobs.

My time is up in about 3 weeks and I am wondering how i can stay if at all? I have been told I should go to Malaysia for the day and come back in, but I was wondering if you could tell me how much longer that will give me and if it is easy to do without many questions. Do I have to have travel docs saying when I will be leaving Singapore?

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to give me some advice :D

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17 am

It will give you 90 more days if you got 90 the first time. Until I got my EP I would go to Batam or Bintan to play golf. Each time I returned, I got 90 more days... not that I needed it. Just be sure that you have your white debarkation card with your passport, and fill out a new one on the way back in.

Bee

Post by Bee » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:37 am

Thanks so much Strong Eagle for the fast reply. :D
Would you stay overnight or just play gold and come back. Did they ask many questions about your intentions in Singapore? At the airport, all they said is 'who's i this address?' and I said 'my boyfriend's' and that was it!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:46 am

They have never so much as asked me anything upon return. I always checked a box as staying with friends, and the social visit (or whatever it is).

I have a personal theory that since Australia and the US are amongst the very few countries that get 90 days due to some sort of trade agreement, that not much attention is paid to your comings and goings. May not be as easy for other nationalities.

Also FWIW, catching a fast boat to one of the islands is a very common thing... tons of golfers on any Saturday morning... so it's all a very mechanical thing. And the resorts are quite pretty, too. Only downside is that you have to pay ten bux to get a 3 day Indonesian visa... not a problem,just a hassle of standing in lines unless you have made reservations with a golf course, in which case they handle all the paperwork.

Kim

Post by Kim » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:47 pm

HI Bee,
I am in similar situation to you! I am from Perth, trying to get a job so I can stay with my partner who is here for a year contract. i tend to come in and out of the country pretty regularly, and never have problems. You can catch a bus up to JB for a few dollars and return the same day.
What type of work are you looking for? I am finding it difficult too - but hang in there! and try to meet as many people and make as many contacts as possible.

Kim

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:58 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zenith

Post by zenith » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 9:58 am

Strong eagle,

have u visit RED COCK pub in batam before??? :lol:

Bee

Post by Bee » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 4:09 pm

Thanks guys. I am going to Batam or Bintan this weekend I think.

Hi Kim :D
How long have you been here for? Mostly the work I have been looking for is Hospitality based but the Sales & Marketing and Training side which is what my background is in. I have registered with a few agencies and jobsites, been going to info seminars and also applying for lots of jobs. Yeah I will hang in there, it's hard but surely something will happen soon. Well fingers crossed anyway!
Good luck to you too in your job search :D

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 5:15 pm

zenith wrote:Strong eagle,

have u visit RED COCK pub in batam before??? :lol:
No, no, no... I'm a good boy... don't need no red cock.

Kim

Post by Kim » Mon, 14 Mar 2005 8:53 pm

Hi Bee,

If you want to catch up for some moral support!! my email address is:
[email protected]

Seeya,
Kim