Singapore Expats

Bringing a Temporary Helper

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sadaf.zarrar

Bringing a Temporary Helper

Post by sadaf.zarrar » Sun, 11 Aug 2019 3:08 am

Hi,

I’ll be moving to Singapore in October with a three month old baby and joining my new place of work.

While I am intending on finding a local Nanny as per Singapore policy, I have a wonderful Nanny back home here in Pakistan and was wondering if there was any legal way of bringing her in with me for a month to help transition me in to the new home and with the new Nanny.

Is it at all possible?
Best
S
Last edited by sadaf.zarrar on Wed, 30 Oct 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Bringing a Temporary Helper

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Aug 2019 1:32 am

If your domestic helper is from the Pakistan I'm afraid you are probably out of luck (there is no "nanny" classification with the MOM as it is considered to fall under the heading of FDW (Foreign Domestic Worker) As such, Pakistan is not considered as a source country by the MOM. Construction Labourers, yes, but FDW's no.

If you bring her in on a Social Visit Pass, she is almost sure to get caught. If that happens both she and you might find yourselves on planes back to Pakistan so I don't advise trying it.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ligibility
Foreign domestic worker eligibility
A foreign domestic worker (FDW) needs to meet age, nationality and education requirements to get a Work Permit.

Who is eligible

The foreign domestic worker you hire needs to meet these requirements:

Gender - Female.
Age - From 23 to below 50 years old at the time of application. FDWs aged 50 and above can only renew their work permits until they reach 60 years old.

Source country or region - From an approved source country or region, including Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand.
Education - Minimum 8 years of formal education with a recognised certificate.
https://www.mom.gov.sg/~/media/mom/docu ... .pdf?la=en
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers