Singapore Expats

Dual nationality, sticker to enter Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
alvinlwh

Dual nationality, sticker to enter Singapore

Post by alvinlwh » Tue, 06 Aug 2019 9:13 pm

Hi

I had seen this this forum that a dual national can get a "sticker" put in a non SGPP to show that there is no limitation to entering or staying in SG. Some questions:

What is it called?
How does one go about getting one?
What is needed to apply for it?
How long does it take to get one?

I did try ICA website but without even knowing what it is called, there is very little chance of finding the right information.

Thanks

PS: Before anyone says dual nationality is not allowed in SG, I am asking for a 3 years old, so it is allowed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Dual nationality, sticker to enter Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Aug 2019 12:36 am

First of all, Alvin, please get rid of the attitude problem. I think this forum probably has a pretty good handle on most of these issues. We know better than most about dual nationality. In fact, I have two children that had dual citizenship. This isn't Hardwarezone, okay?

If your child is a dual national why didn't you just get her both passports? There is not an NS issue to worry about and if she has dual nationality, then she should have both passports. Not difficult to do at all. Right of entry is for those who did not take up Singapore citizenship but were qualified to do so. Therefore they used to be able to go up to the sixth floor of ICA to e get a Right of Entry chop (not sure if it's still there or not - you just have to ask) but they will probably tell you that because you took up citizenship for both countries, she will need to get a proper passport for both countries as that is all she will need to stay as long as she wants in either country until she reaches the age of Majority (21). She will have to choose between them at that time. By law, if she has Singaporean citizenship she must enter and exit the country with her own passport and enter and exit Malaysia with her Malaysian passport. Now there might be a separate agreement with Malaysia about dual national there thanks to the wacko's running that country, where she might have to get the Right of Entry Chop, but I doubt it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alvinlwh

Post by alvinlwh » Wed, 07 Aug 2019 9:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 07 Aug 2019 12:36 am
First of all, Alvin, please get rid of the attitude problem. I think this forum probably has a pretty good handle on most of these issues. We know better than most about dual nationality. In fact, I have two children that had dual citizenship. This isn't Hardwarezone, okay?

If your child is a dual national why didn't you just get her both passports? There is not an NS issue to worry about and if she has dual nationality, then she should have both passports. Not difficult to do at all. Right of entry is for those who did not take up Singapore citizenship but were qualified to do so. Therefore they used to be able to go up to the sixth floor of ICA to e get a Right of Entry chop (not sure if it's still there or not - you just have to ask) but they will probably tell you that because you took up citizenship for both countries, she will need to get a proper passport for both countries as that is all she will need to stay as long as she wants in either country until she reaches the age of Majority (21). She will have to choose between them at that time. By law, if she has Singaporean citizenship she must enter and exit the country with her own passport and enter and exit Malaysia with her Malaysian passport. Now there might be a separate agreement with Malaysia about dual national there thanks to the wacko's running that country, where she might have to get the Right of Entry Chop, but I doubt it.
Dear sir, 2 simple reasons.

1. Carrying and juggling 6 different passports for 4 persons is difficult.
2. This will save me from having to renew her SGPP, just her UKPP will do.

I did not ask about Malaysia did I???

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Aug 2019 12:47 pm

Malaysia is the one that usually provided the stickiness due to history here. So usually, due to some people never giving enough information to work with when they post it's easier to use the one that give the most issues.

Not really an issue. If, as an adult, you cannot juggle two children with 2 passports each, you have a bigger problem. We did it for 26 years until our youngest reached majority (he's 30 now).

Anyway, go to ICA, 6th floor and try.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Aug 2019 1:11 pm

I just remembered why your nick looked so familiar. Went back and had a read of your previous forays here and realized we are wasting our time. Do as you like Alvin, I wish you the best, but if you should trip and stumble along the road of your children's formative years, I hope they survive your manipulations. Again, go to ICA, 6eth floor and ask them. Out.

alvinlwh

Post by alvinlwh » Wed, 07 Aug 2019 4:21 pm

Wed, 07 Aug 2019 1:11 pm
I just remembered why your nick looked so familiar. Went back and had a read of your previous forays here and realized we are wasting our time. Do as you like Alvin, I wish you the best, but if you should trip and stumble along the road of your children's formative years, I hope they survive your manipulations. Again, go to ICA, 6eth floor and ask them. Out.
Yes, I see that you remember me from last year. I had already taken your (and MS) advice of NOT to give my boy SGC, so you hardly wasted your time. Having said that, information is power, so more information is a good thing.

If I want to know about Malaysia, I will go to MalaysiaExpats forum and not here to get incorrect information (especially to be told that Malaysia "cannot" have dual citizenship while in fact it can).

You had done it for X number of years does not mean that someone else has to as well, not when there is potentially a legal way of not doing it. Further more, you seem to forget that this will remove the need to renew her SGPP, which is basically completely unused at the moment.

Finally, thank you for the name of Right of Entry stamp, which allows me to Google for it leading to your answer to your own question, 8 years ago. You may remember this.
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 9:03 pm
I think the deciding issue is not whether or not they have dual citizenship, but whether or not they are carrying two passports. Even if Dual Citizens by right of birth, if they never apply for nor get a Singapore Passport, but opt to only get a foreign one with an ROE, then the Gahmen cannot say that they have used any socio-economic benefit derived from their Singaporean citizenship. Having a Right of Entry stamp in their foreign passport just acknowledges that they are Singaporean Citizens without a Singapore passport. They cannot use that ROE to enter any other country in the world "as a Singaporean". Hope that clarifies it sufficiently for you.

sms
Sadly, Google did not lead me to the ICA website giving proper information, if not I will not even need to come here to ask.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 12 Aug 2019 11:54 am

Alvin

It is not so much about the information that you wanted, it is the way you ask for it that gets us.
Of course you will not get that Right of Entry information for ICA website, they 'update' their website based on current political landscape.
I am the one that provide that info 15 years ago to this forum.
I sensed that you have an attitude which speaks volume of yourself and see it as an entitlement and you are above others
Be humble
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!