Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR / Citizenship chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
vaibhav79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:08 pm

PR / Citizenship chances

Post by vaibhav79 » Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:27 pm

I am a Singapore PR for ~12 years. Profile: Indian, 40y, Masters, Software, 8K+ base (~10K gross) in US company, in SG for ~14years. Spouse and daughter under LTVP, in SG for 3y+.

Would like to have resident experts to assess chances for the following:

1. Applied PR for wife and daughter about 10 months back. No updates yet. This is second attempt, first one rejected inside 6 months. What percent chance of approval?

2. What are the chances if I apply citizenship for myself? Cannot apply with family - not PR yet.

Is there anything I could to do to improve my chances? I suppose I am underpaid and could get a 30-50% hike in salary if I move out of current company. Will this improve chances especially for dependent PR?

I give around 1.5 years for one of the above. If not, maybe I have to consider some plan B.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:32 am

vaibhav79 wrote:
Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:27 pm
I am a Singapore PR for ~12 years. Profile: Indian, 40y, Masters, Software, 8K+ base (~10K gross) in US company, in SG for ~14years. Spouse and daughter under LTVP, in SG for 3y+.

Would like to have resident experts to assess chances for the following:

1. Applied PR for wife and daughter about 10 months back. No updates yet. This is second attempt, first one rejected inside 6 months. What percent chance of approval?

2. What are the chances if I apply citizenship for myself? Cannot apply with family - not PR yet.

Is there anything I could to do to improve my chances? I suppose I am underpaid and could get a 30-50% hike in salary if I move out of current company. Will this improve chances especially for dependent PR?

I give around 1.5 years for one of the above. If not, maybe I have to consider some plan B.

What do you work as in Software?

Things that will work against you for your citizenship application

1. Race
2. Salary for years of experience is low
3. Waited too long to apply for Citizenship

vaibhav79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:08 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by vaibhav79 » Tue, 06 Aug 2019 8:19 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:32 am
What do you work as in Software?
As a Lead Software developer.
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:32 am
Things that will work against you for your citizenship application

1. Race
2. Salary for years of experience is low
3. Waited too long to apply for Citizenship
I thought so too. Any suggestions to improve profile for citizenship or dependent PR?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 06 Aug 2019 3:32 pm

vaibhav79 wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 8:19 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:32 am
What do you work as in Software?
As a Lead Software developer.
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:32 am
Things that will work against you for your citizenship application

1. Race
2. Salary for years of experience is low
3. Waited too long to apply for Citizenship
I thought so too. Any suggestions to improve profile for citizenship or dependent PR?
1. Continous improvement in your career via education, etc with increase in Salary
2. Contribution to SG
3. Integration with SG

vaibhav79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:08 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by vaibhav79 » Thu, 08 Aug 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks..

I suppose I could I add my 4yo daughter (on LTVP) for citizenship application? Does it improve the chances?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2982
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Aug 2019 8:44 pm

vaibhav79 wrote:
Thu, 08 Aug 2019 7:21 pm
Thanks..

I suppose I could I add my 4yo daughter (on LTVP) for citizenship application? Does it improve the chances?
How will that improve, tell me? In what way?

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by lot286 » Thu, 08 Aug 2019 9:48 pm

is your daughter eligible for citizenship?

vaibhav79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:08 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by vaibhav79 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 8:25 am

lot286 wrote:
Tue, 06 Aug 2019 2:14 pm
is your daughter eligible for citizenship?
Same situation as you:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=116336&p=770301#p770299

Or has the rules changed since then?

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by lot286 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 8:33 am

yes. i was about to share my experience with you - and you found out first (quite resourceful!).
Except i cant remember and cant find information on the web regarding how children in Singapore (who is on ltvp) can apply for citizenship - by passing PR. I may have gotten this information over the counter @ immigration?

anyways my kid was born in Singapore and was immediately given LTVP. Perhaps that's why she could apply for citizenship.


anyways, applying as a family **will** boost your chances of citizenship

vaibhav79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:08 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by vaibhav79 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 8:43 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 08 Aug 2019 8:44 pm
How will that improve, tell me? In what way?
I think more desirable for gahmen than 40+ guy alone.
- Probably demonstrates better commitment to sink roots..
- next generation cannon fodder.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by bro75 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 10:22 am

A parent(s) on PR can apply for citizenship together with their children on LTVP. What I believe will happen is that technically, the parent's citizenship will be approved first and the children's citizenship will be approved based on descent. In reality, the approvals will happen together. There will be a separate file for each individual and for every child. I have applied this way although in the end after a few months, our application for citizenship was denied.

lot286
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:56 pm

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by lot286 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 10:48 am

bro75 - sorry to hear that. i checked through the old thread link and realized you were in the same situation as me as in 17. Will you re-attempt the application?

Valibhav79 -> statistically speaking the acceptance rate for adults > 40+ for SC is low. Think of a bell curve where the bulk of new SCs are created within the 15-25 age range (this is based on the recent Gov census).

Having said that when i applied for SC in 2017, i was also in my late 40s.

However I was also a Malaysian Chinese which i believed helped my application. My sister-in law was also Singaporean. So i guess that also helped.

Good luck

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: PR / Citizenship chances

Post by bro75 » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 5:22 pm

We have not re-applied . I believe my age makes the probability much lower than before but we may try again.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests