Singapore Expats

Questions regarding deed poll

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zeala

Questions regarding deed poll

Post by zeala » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 6:15 pm

Hi, I'm currently holding dual citizenship (singaporean & Malaysian). As im under 18, I can only cancel my Malaysian citizenship when I turn 21. I am thinking of getting a legal name change (deed poll) sometime this year, and I mainly school and live in SG so I would not be going back to Malaysia to get my name legally changed (Only in SG). I would like to find out if this would affect the procedure when I renounce/cancel my Malaysian citizenship when I turn 21, having a different name stated on both my new passport and IC. I would like to point out that the name on my birth certificate cannot be changed (I'm born in SG) and I will be given a certificate from the deed poll that states that I have legally change my name. Thank you to those whom took the time to read this post :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Questions regarding deed poll

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 8:32 pm

Unless there is an absolute imperative to change your name before 21 I would wait. It just adds a complication. However deed polls (which are technically a single party contract, ie a promise to oneself by oneself) are recognized mostly worldwide so in theory you should be able to show a certified copy when you surrender your MY citizenship.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!