Singapore Expats

PR Approved but serving notice (but EP still active). Can I proceed to get PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vvk369

PR Approved but serving notice (but EP still active). Can I proceed to get PR?

Post by vvk369 » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 10:30 am

Hi sms and team,

I’ve got a crazy situation. My PR just got approved - but i’ve recently got a 2 year secondment transfer to an overseas office - so my employer has just filed the IR21 with IRAS on Jul 23 with my last day being Aug 23. And my PR app got approved on Jul 31!

I’ve managed to secure an ICA appt in 10 days (a few days before my EP is due to be cancelled). Ive applied thru PTS - and my employer should be able to fill the EP152 form because technically I’m still employed by them - so i think i’ll have all the documentation I’ll need for the appt.

I know PTS PR applications are automatically withdrawn when the ep is cancelled. But in this case ive got pr approval - and my ep would technically still be active (not yet been cancelled) at time of my ica appointment.

So couple of questions:
- Is there any risk that my pr approval could be reversed/withdrawn in this situation?
- Should i inform ICA? I’m just worried that if I bring it up, i’d preempt them to cancel/relook at the approval if I do! I’d really want to avoid doing this unless I have no other choice.
- if i do manage to get the pr, is there anything i should be aware of given that i’ll be moving out of SG immediately after getting the PR

Thanks for all your help!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Approved but serving notice (but EP still active). Can I proceed to get PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 8:16 pm

Be upfront with ICA else you run the chance of shafting yourself. You do not have EP approval yet. You only have the IPA (In Principal Approval). Until you have finalized your EP appointment you have not been granted PR officially so all sorts of things can go wrong.

Because there are tax issues that are contingent on how long you have worked here, when an IR-21 is filed, IRAS needs to check with ICA on how long you have been here. The IR-21 has to be filed anytime an EP is about to be cancelled. By law it has to be filed 1 month before your cancellation date of your EP. It is usually completed by IRAS in 7 to 10 days though, so ICA will already know that the IR-21 is filed and when your last day of work is. Do you want to take that chance? The choice is yours.

I cannot advise you to gamble but should you move out of Singapore IF you get you PR (only days before), I reckon you could possibly have a pretty hard time getting your re-entry permit renewed if you are going for a minimum of 2 years. You could be lucky if you come back and return to work for the same employer for the final 3 years but they have really started cracking down on this type of stuff.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: PR Approved but serving notice (but EP still active). Can I proceed to get PR?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 8:35 pm

As per SMS post try to be paid and contracted to the Singapore Legal Entity and have an official secondment letter drafted that states you will be returned to Singapore by the employer. It will help argue the case that you will return.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BriankempIsatheif

Post by BriankempIsatheif » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 8:05 am

Hi there, I’m in precisely the same situation as you were. Hope everything worked out for u! Could you let me know if you’ve managed to get your company to fill out the form and get PR? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:22 am

BriankempIsatheif wrote:
Wed, 13 Apr 2022 8:05 am
Hi there, I’m in precisely the same situation as you were. Hope everything worked out for u! Could you let me know if you’ve managed to get your company to fill out the form and get PR? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Understand that you are anxious, but how will someone else who convinced the employer to sign work for your case? I think you need to speak with your employer to do this?

Even if you have a new employer and if they can fill up the form, it is still acceptable.

Speaking to ur current employer or new employer is more valuable than asking if someone has done this.