Singapore Expats

Willing to lower my salary for Passion

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Lonelywolf

Willing to lower my salary for Passion

Post by Lonelywolf » Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:26 pm

Dear Altruists,

Long story short, I'm on EP here in Singapore for 4 years and working for company 'A' but not really happy here. I always been passionate for another role in the same Industry and also got a job in another offer in Company 'B' but the pay is drastically lower than my current salary to the point where it can downgrade my EP to S Pass, for which I don't mind at all as I love the role.
My question is whether my permit will be approved as S Pass in Company 'B' or will the government point blank reject the application because of my salary lowered?
I'm 33 and my current income per month is 6k but for the new job it is 4k (I'm very happy about it)
Basically, I'm looking for a job that gives peace of mind and not hate it everyday.
Looking forward to your insights and thanks for your time for going through this query.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Willing to lower my salary for Passion

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Jul 2019 12:32 am

Can be done, but you need to remember that Company B will have to have enough quota to apply for an S pass and of course you have to be qualified for the position and it needs to be a position that is not easily filled by locals (in the eyes of the MOM). But I can understand where you are coming from (but not at that young of an age, though)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lonelywolf

Post by Lonelywolf » Sat, 27 Jul 2019 1:40 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I discussed to them about future complications and looks like they have the necessary quota to apply for S Pass. Indeed, I have the skills and I don't think natives will be able to fill in that role for now but anything could happen. I will update you guys on this when the application is through.
Best,
Lonelywolf.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Jul 2019 3:21 pm

Good Luck. I have to admit, I didn't something similar 43 years ago. I was the District Director for H & R Block in Washington DC. I resigned on my 29th birthday and took up a trade. I became a Deep Sea Diver in the Oil Field in the Gulf of Mexico. That eventually resulted in me getting poached by Oceaneering Int'l (largest diving contractor in the world at that time) and sent to Singapore in 1982. The rest is history. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sat, 27 Jul 2019 4:08 pm

There is a risk of rejection because MOM requires applicants with experience to receive a salary commensurate to that experience. In short, a very experienced applicant will not be approved if the salary offer is too low because he/she may compete with locals who have only a few years or less of experience.

Lonelywolf

Post by Lonelywolf » Sat, 27 Jul 2019 4:29 pm

Oh great! At least someone can feel me. But unfortunately, We, today's foreigners are less likely to settle down on this island after the change in rules and preferences. I wish it was the same but not to blame the government on this as people in the past have clearly exploited the PR system but its the bitter truth we all have to swallow.