Singapore Expats

Remaining a PR for the rest of one's life in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
byseeksconseil1

Remaining a PR for the rest of one's life in Singapore

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 1:47 pm

Hi,

I believe that a number of people on this forum have remained a PR in Singapore for a long time (some more than 30 years?), without any intention of applying for Singaporean citizenship. They are mostly citizens of Western countries. Understandably it is difficult to give up those citizenships (and not all of those countries offer the option of citizenship resumption, once given up).

We all know that the Singapore government makes a non-trivial distinction between PRs and Citizens in many areas of life (housing, school fees, etc), that is simply unthinkable in some other countries.

What have been the major challenges so far? What are the anticipated challenges in future? Once you retire, would the REP still be renewable?

And what would be the specific challenges for a single person (with no intention to marry) holding PR status for the rest of his life in Singapore?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Remaining a PR for the rest of one's life in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 2:00 pm

I think the biggest problem is medical as you grow older (I'll be 72 in 6 weeks +/-) I've been healthy all my adult life but I anticipate issues obviously in the coming years. This is one consideration as our subsidies have all but been eliminated.

As far as PR is concerned, if you are a single person, I have to assume you are a PR via PTS (Professional/Technical Scheme). We are not sure how that is going to pan out, I've been here 36 years and a PR for over 25 of them. However, I'm on the FT (Family Ties) scheme and know, from the horse's mouth, that I don't need to be working after the age of 55 in order to get my REP renewed. I don't know about the PTS PRs.

So, for me, my flat is fully paid for, my US Social Security is more than enough to live on and still manage to save some (how long this will happen is another story I'd rather not get into). I've still not touched my CPF so that's sitting in place drawing a decent return (however it not a real game changer as I used the bulk of my CPF when I bought my flat 20 years ago. I had not planned on retiring in Singapore, but due to other disasters in the US life has a way of throwing you curve balls. I do have a son & daughter (and 2 grandson) here. Both are now married. So barring catastrophic health problems and the fact that I hate cities! I'm okay. (But my sister want's me to move to FL).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

byseeksconseil1

Re: Remaining a PR for the rest of one's life in Singapore

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 4:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 25 Jul 2019 2:00 pm
I think the biggest problem is medical as you grow older (I'll be 72 in 6 weeks +/-) I've been healthy all my adult life but I anticipate issues obviously in the coming years. This is one consideration as our subsidies have all but been eliminated.

As far as PR is concerned, if you are a single person, I have to assume you are a PR via PTS (Professional/Technical Scheme). We are not sure how that is going to pan out, I've been here 36 years and a PR for over 25 of them. However, I'm on the FT (Family Ties) scheme and know, from the horse's mouth, that I don't need to be working after the age of 55 in order to get my REP renewed. I don't know about the PTS PRs.

So, for me, my flat is fully paid for, my US Social Security is more than enough to live on and still manage to save some (how long this will happen is another story I'd rather not get into). I've still not touched my CPF so that's sitting in place drawing a decent return (however it not a real game changer as I used the bulk of my CPF when I bought my flat 20 years ago. I had not planned on retiring in Singapore, but due to other disasters in the US life has a way of throwing you curve balls. I do have a son & daughter (and 2 grandson) here. Both are now married. So barring catastrophic health problems and the fact that I hate cities! I'm okay. (But my sister want's me to move to FL).
Thanks for your reply! I did receive my PR via the PTS route. So renewal after retirement could be an uncertainty. The opacity doesn't help at all.

Here is wishing you many years of continued good health!!