Singapore Expats

Employment Pass Rejected

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
shazil87

Employment Pass Rejected

Post by shazil87 » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 6:34 pm

My Singapore employment pass got rejected because I marked yes to the question, "have you ever been refused entry or deported from any country?"

I was refused a US visa nearly 5 years ago. However, since then I have traveled extensively and have not had any issue with the visa of any country.

My company has appealed, was wondering about the chances?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Employment Pass Rejected

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 8:29 pm

I think you made a mistake in answering that question "yes". Being refused a visa is not the same thing as being refused entry. Your visa might be refused because you dont have enough time left on your passport, or perhaps the correct documentation, or perhaps not showing strong ties.

Being refused entry is exactly that... arriving at customs, with or without visa in hand, and being told to turn around and go home.

You should make this distinction clear.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:44 pm

Strong Eagle is correct. Being refused a visa and being refused entry are two different things.

How do you know that answering yes to that question is the cause of rejection? Did you assume or did MOM explicitly mention this?

shazil87

Post by shazil87 » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 7:19 pm

As per my employer MOM clearly mentioned that this was the reason my work pass was rejected.

I might have made a mistake answering it Yes but in the details section, I clearly wrote that my tourist visa application was denied. I think that should be enough to give clarity.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 10:03 pm

shazil87 wrote:
Thu, 25 Jul 2019 7:19 pm
As per my employer MOM clearly mentioned that this was the reason my work pass was rejected.

I might have made a mistake answering it Yes but in the details section, I clearly wrote that my tourist visa application was denied. I think that should be enough to give clarity.
Obviously, it wasn't, was it?

shazil87

Post by shazil87 » Fri, 26 Jul 2019 1:52 pm

@ Strong Eagle. I wish I knew the truth, I only know what my employer is telling me and according to them my employment pass was rejected just because I had a denied USA visa application (Which I had declared as well) which does not make sense to me