Singapore Expats

Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
suzanne42

Re: Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

Post by suzanne42 » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 10:58 am

I will check that out, thank you for the suggestion

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

Post by martincymru » Mon, 29 Jul 2019 3:11 pm

my apartment is furnished 80% with what I found in the rubbish dump. I think that says it all.

(my monetary tip: always buy 2nd hand furniture)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:07 pm

Agreed Martin. In fact we have had stuff which we have thrown out which has been replaced with other stuff from the rubbish... a lot of our furniture (with the absolute exception of mattresses) is third or fourth hand now. My wife' school has a lot of expats rotating through and most of them are so desperate to get rid of stuff we've been slowly upgrading. Also I have a station wagon...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:11 pm

Thank you both for your responses.

@PNGMK: Does your wife's school have some group where second hand furniture get listed? I would like to try posting there or is it specific to parents and staff of that school only? These furniture pieces are of high quality and am not keen to dispose them.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:20 pm

It's probably restricted. I'll ask. You could also see if the Wessex black and white art building has a notice board. I think it does and maybe Colbar as well.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:27 pm

Thank you

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:17 pm

It's been a few years since I lived in Singapore, and, the Cold Storage at Bukit Timah and Sixth Avenue had a large expat crowd and a bulletin board by the exit where stuff was posted. I recall other locations having bulletin boards as well.

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Wed, 31 Jul 2019 9:21 am

I see. That's something I have not observed in the retail outlets anymore. I guess everything is done via online forums these days mainly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 03 Feb 2021 9:38 pm

Try Facebook marketplace instead of Facebook, you’ll usually be able to sell your items within a week if they’re priced fairly and in good condition.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Feb 2021 11:07 pm

I've used said Facebook Marketplace as well a Carousell reasonably successfully as well
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers