Singapore Expats

Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
suzanne42

Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

Post by suzanne42 » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 4:21 pm

Hello fellow Expats,

I have some high end wooden furniture from my stay in Singapore. I am looking to sell them at reasonable prices prior to my departure. Platforms such as Facebook, Carousell and Gumtree have generated poor responses either potential buyers making ridiculous offers or not showing up after committing. I am not keen to pay for ads I list since as it is their selling price is very low. Any other suggestions?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 4:28 pm

https://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/ for starters. Marketplace on FB is another.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

suzanne42

Re: Expats what do you do with your high quality furniture pieces if you can't ship them with you?

Post by suzanne42 » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 4:48 pm

Hello SundayMorningStaple,

As mentioned above, Facebook seems to be one of those platforms where potential buyers make ridiculously low offers so I am not keen to use that.

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 4:49 pm

I notice response on this platform for second hand furniture seems less, some posts remain from 2005. Any other suggestions?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 7:52 pm

Unfortunately this is a throw away economy and has a poor market for most second hand goods. I have found however that buyers from JB tend to be keener on second hand goods and sometimes come into Singapore if the price is right.

In the "old days" you could put up notices at certain malls and in cold storage shops - I haven't seen any for a long time. That was a reasonable way to sell actually and how I sold a lot of stuff in 1995 the last time I left.

Advertise at your work place as well. Also try craigslist. I did sell some stuff on the CL back a few years ago and I just looked again - they have what looks like a relatively fresh and curate listing section for furniture even if the rest of CL sucks.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jul 2019 10:53 pm

suzanne42 wrote:
Tue, 23 Jul 2019 4:48 pm
Hello SundayMorningStaple,

As mentioned above, Facebook seems to be one of those platforms where potential buyers make ridiculously low offers so I am not keen to use that.
I've sold some stuff on both MarketPlace and on Carousell. I always put a disclaimer that lowballers will be ignored. Occasionally someone will try, but I just ignore it as I said I would. You have to remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 4:19 am

If you've got friends with connections into the American Club, their bulletin board can be quite useful.

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 9:09 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I will retry posting on Craiglist (Last time no one responded after weeks of waiting so I gave up)

Unfortunately I have no contacts at the American Club

I had been using Faceboook Marketplace and Carousell for a long time but the poor responses there forced me to seek out better alternatives.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:35 am

I would add that the number of second hand furniture stores has also really plummeted in the last decade. There used to be a few around my area and they are ALL gone.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:56 am

Summary: You face a problem faced by many expats who are moving off the island... you can't even give the furniture away. I know people who have had to pay the junk man to take nice furniture out of a rent house because no one would buy it.

If this is really high end stuff, you might want to consider shipping it, if it's an addon in a container. You may be able to recoup the shipping costs on the other end.

Otherwise, it's kind of an "Oh, shit" situation... watching nice and very serviceable furniture trashed.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:58 am

There's a market and business idea here somewhere. Uber Furniture.

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:01 am

Does Uber Furniture buy back high end furniture? Googling did not provide me relevant results.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:02 am

No it's just an idea. Not a real thing. Apologies.

suzanne42

Post by suzanne42 » Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:04 am

I see. Seems like channels for used furniture are really poor. Looks like I might have to depend on platforms like Facebook and Carousell after all.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 10:10 am

There are a row of second hand furniture shops at the far side of the old Bukit Timah Race Track. It may be worth trying there (with some pictures of the items) and see what they think. The location is hard to explain so look at this link (it starts at one end in a series of run down buildings and goes along for about 100 m. Each section is run independently). It's a hoot!

https://goo.gl/maps/c2MYzPaspinr2k6X7