Singapore Expats

Pass Holder doing part time online work

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
babawick

Pass Holder doing part time online work

Post by babawick » Sat, 22 Jun 2019 11:19 am

hi there!

I am fully aware that pass holders cannot do part time work within sg. I have a very quick question though, does freelancing/working with individuals/company outside singapore violates any employment law?

thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Pass Holder doing part time online work

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Jun 2019 8:31 pm

only when you get caught.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

babawick

Post by babawick » Sun, 23 Jun 2019 11:38 pm

Do you mean even if its online work and the company or individual is not from sg? I was offered by a friend to do some part time work, video editing. she is working in a company in nz. I haven’t accepted it as I wanna make sure I will not violate anything here.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:41 am

Here is your problem.
  1. It is true that a resident of Singapore can work for a company that has no presence in Singapore and provides no goods and services in Singapore and does not require a work permit to do so.
  2. It is also true that the person performing such work must also file personal income tax returns in Singapore, declaring the money they made on their Singapore tax return. This is in keeping with worldwide practice of being taxed in the jurisdiction in which you reside.
  3. The third truth is that workers on a work pass are not allowed to work for second or third employers, the exception being a PEP.
  4. Therefore, the problem that you have is that you either properly report your income and thus, you become discoverable as holding a second job while on a work pass, or you don't declare your income at all, and now run afoul of the tax laws.

I can't recommend a course of action. You could, perhaps, declare your income in NZ and pay taxes there. Or, you could choose to fly under the radar entirely, and the probability of being caught is small. But, the fact remains that you can't work for another company on a work permit.