Singapore Expats

Motorbike scrap value / Price of an old bike

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Motorbike scrap value / Price of an old bike

Post by The Ref » Wed, 19 Jun 2019 9:17 pm

I am looking to buy a used bike and struggling to work out what is a better deal. What suggestions would the forum have?
Basically I understand the scrap value is effectively $0 but there is less maintenance for a newer bike

Bike 1. $3500 with 4y8 months COE (cant renew as has the extended 5yr COE) about $750/year. Must scrap at the end.

Bike 2. $4200 with 2.75 years remaining - about $1527 per year (if scrap for $0)
Bike 2 less 2.75x$750 is $2060 for the bike (I dont thint the bike without COE would be worth this)
Bike 2 with 5 Years additional COE for $1700 (5yr COE now-last 6 months) $761/year
Bike 2 with 5 Years additional COE for $3000 (variable but 5yr COE worst case / last 6 years) $930/year

So, is there any value in the actual bike itself? Looking at above if the COE holds the same as the last 6 months (just over $3k) then the value is in the newer bike and extend COE, but if COE goes back up to $6K again the renewed COE has better value.

*If I can negotiate the prices it makes a little difference but not major for the exercise.
I plan to flip the bike in just over a year so the sell time will be 1.5yr vs 43.5 yr COE so the COE wont be extended when I sell
Same make / model (colour different)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Motorbike scrap value / Price of an old bike

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jun 2019 5:10 am

There is a scrap value in bikes. It varies a bit but $500 (scooters) to $2000 (harleys) is my estimate.
Also there are brands you need to avoid - Kwaka (terrible parts prices here) will not sell second hand and the chinese scooters and bikes are best avoided as well.
The math isn't so solid on bikes IME as there is a strong emotional value. Personally I find they are overpriced on carousell for example as well.
I don't know which bike I would buy - probably the one I liked as money is less of an issue for me. However re-reading your post if you only need a bike for a set time I'd probably take the cheapest knowing it would be worth almost nothing ($500) when it came time to sell as it has a dead lifespan now. I would neve buy a 5 yr COE bike myself but I understand your circumstances are not mine.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 24 Jun 2019 8:35 am

I bought a Nov 2011 bike for a decent price so I hope to resell in a year and hope it retains some value. If not, if I will hold it for a little longer. Nice bike, but a 150cc has no pickup for someone my size on the expressway.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jun 2019 5:36 am

The Ref wrote:I bought a Nov 2011 bike for a decent price so I hope to resell in a year and hope it retains some value. If not, if I will hold it for a little longer. Nice bike, but a 150cc has no pickup for someone my size on the expressway.
A KTM Duke 200 might have been a better choice (but they are a little small). They are pretty much the fastest four stroke 2B class around now I think.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!